Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   DIY - Forum (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Yellow jackets (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=94135)

spence 09-04-2018 03:41 PM

Yellow jackets

Last several days I've had a lot of yellow jackets in the house. Some dead some alive. All have been on the main floor in the kitchen or the family room next to it. Don't see a nest or any wasp activity outside around the house or in the cellar.

Any ideas where they could be hiding or what's drawing them in?

Redsoxticket 09-04-2018 07:38 PM

Is it possible the yellow jackets could be attracted to a fragranced air freshener in the kitchen or your designer cologne
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Fishpart 09-05-2018 09:59 AM

They get active this time of year and are probably around looking for food and water. If they are like honeybees they will range a couple of miles.

Fishpart 09-05-2018 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishpart (Post 1150300)
They get active this time of year and are probably around looking for food and water. If they are like honeybees they will range a couple of miles.

piemma 09-06-2018 05:27 AM

Keep in mind that I work outside at the golf course but I have been stung so many times this year I have lost count. 7 one days then about twice a week all summer. Yellow Jackets don't even bother me but I got stung by one of those White Faced wasps. Holy crap does that hurt! Pain for 3 days!

spence 09-06-2018 06:41 AM

My wasps have been pretty sedate so I'm not thinking there's a nest close by. I did find a window in the room that wasn't latched and had slid down a bit with a screen that popped out a bit so that could be how they're getting in. Still, I've vacuumed several dozen over the past few days so something is drawing them in.

No scented anything in the house other than my teenage son :biglaugh:

Rockfish9 09-06-2018 11:28 AM

a lot of times when they show up mysteriously in a house they have a nest in the siding... but follow voids in the wood into the house.. usually at night... then they appear in the morning.

Sea Dangles 09-06-2018 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piemma (Post 1150388)
Keep in mind that I work outside at the golf course but I have been stung so many times this year I have lost count. 7 one days then about twice a week all summer. Yellow Jackets don't even bother me but I got stung by one of those White Faced wasps. Holy crap does that hurt! Pain for 3 days!

Got some in my boot last week and stung 3 times on the ankle. WOW! Bee stings don’t even leave a mark but those things get your attn

Rmarsh 09-07-2018 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Dangles (Post 1150433)
Got some in my boot last week and stung 3 times on the ankle. WOW! Bee stings don’t even leave a mark but those things get your attn

Was working on my truck one day.....noticed a lot of them around....picked up my bottle of budweiser for a sip........had to stop a foreign object from going down my throat with my tongue.....stung me once or twice before I spit him out!