Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Boat Fishing & Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Pulled the cover (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=94945)

Poncho 03-30-2019 08:21 PM

Pulled the cover

Getting ready. Shooting for April 20

nightfighter 03-30-2019 08:52 PM

Very jealous.... I am presently targeting.... July 22. Two months after knee replacement surgery.

Guppy 03-31-2019 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poncho (Post 1164822)
Getting ready. Shooting for April 20

Same here John, good luck

wdmso 03-31-2019 09:53 AM

won't be far behind have to get some domestic chores completed 1st:btu:

ivanputski 03-31-2019 12:48 PM

I picked the right winter to forget to wrap my boat... Its uncovered, clean, and saved on wrapping cost and the time it would take to unwrap .

I got lucky... I plan to wrap next winter.

Ian 03-31-2019 02:26 PM

We just moved and I somehow forgot the box that I put the bag of parts to connect the leg back to the motor... it’s going to be a frantic first week of May when we finally unpack after renovations...

The list of notes I write myself just continues to get longer
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Rockfish9 04-01-2019 07:02 AM

Nice,let's hope it doesn't snow. wrapped up my ice fishing season Saturday, cleaned and stowed all the gear yesterday, switched the bait tank from winter mode, and replumbed. It for the boat, cover coming off next weekend.

Raider Ronnie 04-01-2019 01:05 PM

What’s a cover 🤔

Cool Beans 04-01-2019 02:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Watching the water temp... maybe by the last week of April I'll go out on first squid trip of the year. Installed a nice spread of underwater LEDs this weekend and tuned up both motors. All I need to do is power wash the deck and do some touch up painting.

Nothing pretty, she's as old as I am, but she gets me out on the water.

MakoMike 04-02-2019 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivanputski (Post 1164845)
I picked the right winter to forget to wrap my boat... Its uncovered, clean, and saved on wrapping cost and the time it would take to unwrap .

I got lucky... I plan to wrap next winter.

Think about that and save yourself some $. I never wrap my boat anymore. Less damage/clean up than when I did wrap it.

Clammer 04-02-2019 05:15 PM

been telling you guys for years about the waste of $$$$$$$$$$ finally a couple of us have found out the boat didn,t melt ><><

Rockfish9 04-04-2019 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakoMike (Post 1164960)
Think about that and save yourself some $. I never wrap my boat anymore. Less damage/clean up than when I did wrap it.

You obviously don't live near trees, if I tried that stunt. I'd spend the entire spring and half the summer digging pine and spruce needles, as well as oak leaves out of the boat, and most winters there would be about 6" of solid ice inside the boat from all the melted snow. .it might work down south, but up this way, you cover it or pay dearly.

MakoMike 04-04-2019 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockfish9 (Post 1165116)
You obviously don't live near trees, if I tried that stunt. I'd spend the entire spring and half the summer digging pine and spruce needles, as well as oak leaves out of the boat, and most winters there would be about 6" of solid ice inside the boat from all the melted snow. .it might work down south, but up this way, you cover it or pay dearly.

You obviously have never tried it. A shop vac makes quick work of any leaves or other debris that land in the boat over the winter. We have plenty of trees in Wakefield where I keep my boat. If you're worried about ice build up, I guess you don't have a self bailing deck? That might be a legit problem.

nightfighter 04-04-2019 12:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MakoMike (Post 1165141)
You obviously have never tried it. A shop vac makes quick work of any leaves or other debris that land in the boat over the winter. We have plenty of trees in Wakefield where I keep my boat. If you're worried about ice build up, I guess you don't have a self bailing deck? That might be a legit problem.

Key words in his post were pine and spruce... means sap. Ever tried getting pine sap off a car or boat? Easier to cover. And even the leaves will stain from the tannins in them. To each their own... At 20' mine is covered. Same cover for eleven years.

Cool Beans 04-04-2019 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightfighter (Post 1165155)
Key words in his post were pine and spruce... means sap. Ever tried getting pine sap off a car or boat? Easier to cover. And even the leaves will stain from the tannins in them. To each their own... At 20' mine is covered. Same cover for eleven years.

I think the "save your money" people are speaking of is for those that automatically think "cover the boat" means shrink wrap.

A nice reusable cover like yours or tarps or plywood that some use I would consider covered, but many of my friends here say it has to be shrink wrapped.

I cover with a couple tarps and vacuum/power wash the deck each spring.

Clammer 04-04-2019 08:16 PM

all I have is pine trees & red maples …………… WTF are leaves & needles ……….:humpty::humpty:

Rmarsh 04-06-2019 08:40 AM

No cover.. because I have the room to keep it inside my workshop....only thing to clean off is a thick layer of sawdust.

bluefish frenzy from last year https://youtu.be/uBCQVdi60z4

ivanputski 04-08-2019 09:19 AM

Whenever I have the boat shrink wrapped, all my vinyl seat covers have dark mold that is beyond difficult to remove. this is the first year I didnt get it wrapped and its the cleanest my boat has ever been!

My fear for next year is the weight of potential snow on the T-top if I dont get it shrink wrapped. any suggestions?

Nebe 04-08-2019 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivanputski (Post 1165327)
Whenever I have the boat shrink wrapped, all my vinyl seat covers have dark mold that is beyond difficult to remove. this is the first year I didnt get it wrapped and its the cleanest my boat has ever been!

My fear for next year is the weight of potential snow on the T-top if I dont get it shrink wrapped. any suggestions?

Make your shrink wrap cover able to breathe. That will help

beamie 04-08-2019 09:57 AM

Quote:

You really need to have allot of vents. Like a Pepsi bottle cut in half and taped to the side. Multiple of those. Lots of airflow. The shrink wrap covers are just too damn tight

This year I went with the silver harbor freight tarp for $60 vice the $240 shrink wrap. Holding up well

MakoMike 04-08-2019 10:25 AM

Quote:

It's going to weigh more shrink wrapped than it would unwrapped.

Cool Beans 04-08-2019 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakoMike (Post 1165337)
It's going to weigh more shrink wrapped than it would unwrapped.

Exactly, pretty sure the shrink wrap pulls down with more force then the snow would.

MakoMike 04-09-2019 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool Beans (Post 1165354)
Exactly, pretty sure the shrink wrap pulls down with more force then the snow would.

FWIW, back in the day, before I knew better, when I did shrink wrap my boat one of the things that broke was the sunshade on the tower. Very similar to a t-top. I think it was caused by the wind being caught by the shrink wrap and flexing the legs.

bloocrab 04-10-2019 08:58 AM

Still not sure it was worth the work, but I've used 8' - 1" pvc conduit piping bent over areas of concern...bit of work securing the pvc and keeping it upright, but it did help with the center console area as well as the void in the bow