Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Political Threads (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   ? for spence (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=97723)

Jim in CT 10-26-2021 05:26 AM

? for spence

a sincere question-

there’s talk among democrats if taxing unrealized capital gains.

does that tax go both ways? if i have to pay tax on unrealized capital gains, do i get deductions for unrealized capital losses?

wdmso 10-26-2021 05:48 AM

Not speaking for Spence But are you a billionaire ?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Jim in CT 10-26-2021 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1216404)
Not speaking for Spence But are you a billionaire ?

nope.

do you EVER answer a question? Ever?

good thing you’re in a union. Because God help you, if you ever had to get by on merit.

also, the constitution says the feds can tax income. how are unrealized capital gains, income?

wdmso 10-26-2021 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1216411)
nope.

do you EVER answer a question? Ever?

good thing you’re in a union. Because God help you, if you ever had to get by on merit.

also, the constitution says the feds can tax income. how are unrealized capital gains, income?

You do know the plan is just for billionaires

Merit really

In 1913, the Sixteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution was ratified. It states: "The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration."

1 second google search Jim you should try it ..

Congress decides the source they make the laws

Jim in CT 10-26-2021 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1216445)
You do know the plan is just for billionaires

Merit really

In 1913, the Sixteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution was ratified. It states: "The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration."

1 second google search Jim you should try it ..

Congress decides the source they make the laws

i did that search. that’s why i asked the question.

do you know what an unrealized capital gain is? how is that income? YOU DONT HAVE THE MONEY YET.

if someone gives you an IOU, is that income? or is it i come once you have the money in your possession?

spence 10-26-2021 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1216402)
does that tax go both ways? if i have to pay tax on unrealized capital gains, do i get deductions for unrealized capital losses?

I believe it would although I haven’t seen the actual proposal.

Jim in CT 10-26-2021 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1216449)
I believe it would although I haven’t seen the actual proposal.

thanks, it was a sincere question and you answered. i couldn’t find that answer anywhere.

spence 10-26-2021 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1216450)
thanks, it was a sincere question and you answered. i couldn’t find that answer anywhere.

I’m not sure I support what I’ve read about it either. We do need to change the code so the super wealthy can’t shelter their assets so easily but if it’s too complicated they will just find a new way to game the system.

Jim in CT 10-26-2021 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1216458)
I’m not sure I support what I’ve read about it either. We do need to change the code so the super wealthy can’t shelter their assets so easily but if it’s too complicated they will just find a new way to game the system.

agreed.

wdmso 10-26-2021 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1216446)
i did that search. that’s why i asked the question.

do you know what an unrealized capital gain is? how is that income? YOU DONT HAVE THE MONEY YET.

if someone gives you an IOU, is that income? or is it i come once you have the money in your possession?

i was clear that's for congress to decide what's deemed as income ..

not me

Jim in CT 10-26-2021 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1216465)
i was clear that's for congress to decide what's deemed as income ..

not me

is your boat “income”? or your signed copy of Chairman Mao’s Little Red Book?

assets aren’t income.

scottw 10-26-2021 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1216461)
agreed.

If we just take all of their money and assets they won’t be able to afford to pay people to shelter their money and assets

Jim in CT 10-26-2021 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottw (Post 1216473)
If we just take all of their money and assets they won’t be able to afford to pay people to shelter their money and assets

and that would fund federal spending for a few months.

PaulS 10-27-2021 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1216402)
a sincere question-

there’s talk among democrats if taxing unrealized capital gains.

You would get a deduction of for unrealized capital losses. The biggest issue is the determining the value of non-tradable assets . I believe they would not be taxed yearly but there would be an interest charge on them which would be paid when those assets were sold.

Sounds very costly for the billionaires to administer. They has to be a better way. They should change the way carried interest is treated.

Pete F. 10-27-2021 08:46 AM

Elon Musk: Beware! If they can tax a billionaire like me, they can tax you regular people too!

Regular People: We've been paying our taxes this whole time, bro.