Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Sunday Morning Tools! (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=84027)

BigFish 10-27-2013 10:19 AM

Sunday Morning Tools!

I think its time we get the ball rolling here for our Sunday morning over coffee chats about what we are building! So lets make this the thread....."Sunday Morning Tools".......I named it after all of us! So what are you or will you be working on over the winter season???:)

Swimmer 10-27-2013 12:33 PM

Swimming plugs to finish what I started last winter and didn't complete until September. Simply, I am not going to do all the other chit this winter. Dannies are first up. Looking to tweak my fatty surfsters weight-wise a little, and as always improve my painting techniques
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Sgt Striper 10-27-2013 02:59 PM

"Sunday Morning Tools" I like it!

Sgt Striper 11-03-2013 07:52 AM

Tool checking in......So who is in for a plug to auction for Peter's (VB) movie project? Also how do we do the auction ? Post them here on SB, a Facebook page? Have a few guys down here (not SB members) that will kick in a plug.

BigFish 11-03-2013 11:53 AM

I will be in maybe next weekend. I have stuff going on right now...putting in a new bedroom door! Thats all this "tool" is doing right now! :)

Mojo7 11-07-2013 08:38 AM

Work has been crazy the last couple of months working 6-7 days a week probably through the middle of December but when that's done I can't wait to get into the shop. This winters projects needles and darters.

BigFish 11-08-2013 09:36 AM

I will try to post some pics Sunday am?:uhuh:

Slipknot 11-08-2013 05:47 PM

I will be playing Sunday Morning Blues while working on my tools

BigFish 11-08-2013 11:09 PM

Thats what I will be doing Slip!!:uhuh:

ProfessorM 11-10-2013 06:01 AM

Going fishing. Still some good fish around. Not plug time yet

nightfighter 11-10-2013 08:22 AM

Headed to the shop shortly. Messing with wood today, but not plugs.... My sister has asked me to make two sets of Giant Jenga....:smash::smash::smash: Going to be running a lot of 2x4s through the planer and chop saw. She has no idea how much material and weight she is going to be getting. I see the potential for damage when the towers fall if they plan on using inside..... Whatever...
I will be getting some bodies done for Christmas bottle openers in the next month. Plug making really begins after the holidays for me.

GattaFish 11-10-2013 09:45 AM

I have about 50 + needlefish bodies painted and ready for weight and wire. At some point I need to get to my shop and wire them all up this winter.

Nothing fancy but all proven designs and colors. I am looking forward to eventually making dust again.

Linesider82 11-10-2013 10:06 AM

3 Attachment(s)
finishing up a 72" workbench made out of all scrap wood, except the uprights are slotted steel. I'm one scrap piece short of completed lower shelf, and waiting on steel pegboard delivery. Pic #1 glad I bought uprights that were longer, before cutting the front uprights I noticed some extra wiggle to the bench and had enough extra length to cut and stiffen up the wiggle. Plus the predrilled slots fit 5/8" slot bolts to lock it in. Still may buy one more to cross the front, but will see if there is any sway while the lathe turns. The 3rd pic I mounted a piece of aluminum from a closet demo. The Al. is the bottom track for sliding doors which will serve to hold pencils (writing pencils), and pens/markers. The rest of them I mounted to the wall (not picutred) on 1x3" furring strips to hang plugs and hold misc stuff

Swimmer 11-10-2013 10:15 AM

Finished the weighting experimentation on my slopehead pikie. Weighs more than current versions available but I managed to get it so it has nice tight wiggles and dives sharply

This is my first order of bussiness, and then I am making needles, for chits and giggles

Sgt Striper 11-10-2013 11:43 AM

Doing original A40 and A54 for auction to help Peter get those films converted (of piece of history that should not be lost!), also a Porky Pikie, a cross of a pikie and a cowboy to go deep. Finish a giant Musso lipless and do some darters for Skippy.

Linesider82 11-12-2013 09:14 PM

prior post edited w/ pics, anyone ever seal over asbestos tile in place. please PM me with recs

iamskippy 11-13-2013 07:53 PM

Im on the hunt for a Vega, prefer new or like new, if anyone come across anything please let me know.

ProfessorM 11-17-2013 09:05 AM

I think I have come to the conclusion that fishing for this year has come to an end for me. This is the first time that I have not wet a line in 3 straight days since early May. It has not been unusual for me to fish for 20 or 30 straight mornings, days in a row this year. It is always bitter sweet to call it quits but with time I will enjoy the time away from it so that by April of next year I am chomping at the bit to get back at it. I am sure I am not alone with these feelings this time of year. I need to get things done before the snow comes too, only a matter of time.

So with that I started by making some lips this past week at work for some plugs I intend to make this year. Now I need to get my stuff put away and clean up the cellar so I can start to select some wood from the rack and get the materials ready for turning in the next few weeks.

linesidechaser 11-17-2013 11:50 AM

I will be dusting off the old tools, and getting back in to building.

l.i.fish.in.vt 11-17-2013 01:39 PM

with Sugarbush opening next week weather permitting,the only thing i will be turning are my skis.actually cleaning my shop today,getting another lathe from a freind so i need to make some room.

BigFish 11-17-2013 03:53 PM

Clear coated my last batch of plugs until March! Time to work on some Christmas ornaments, clean the shop and start also working on turning some new stuff for next season! :uhuh:

Linesider82 11-17-2013 05:49 PM

Just took the corners off 1st piece of stock and the lathe motor burnt up... anyone have a 1/2hp jet mini lathe motor sitting around? the replacement motor looks to be 200 new, could it be something else, loose wire connection? capacitor maybe?

iamskippy 11-17-2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linesider82 (Post 1021895)
Just took the corners off 1st piece of stock and the lathe motor burnt up... anyone have a 1/2hp jet mini lathe motor sitting around? the replacement motor looks to be 200 new, could it be something else, loose wire connection? capacitor maybe?

Check the brushes, the little screws on the side of yhe motor hsppen to me last yeat

Linesider82 11-18-2013 09:33 PM

Skip what is the function of the brushes? I checked the switch terminals for sawdust/corrosion but they were clean. The motor tries to turn over but doesn't, I'm thinking of taking it in for fix/service might be the best thing to do.

pbadad 11-21-2013 06:00 PM

XMAS ORNAMENTS

1 Attachment(s)
Here some ornaments fashioned from a new plug creation.

BigFish 11-24-2013 10:53 AM

Full tilt Christmas ornament production this week! I will post some pics this afternoon!:uhuh:

Swimmer 11-24-2013 11:04 AM

Few more things to get done outside then down cellar full-time until spring. Turning and painting this winter. Not all painting has to do with plugs. I think my next big project will be a danny, fashioned along the classic lines from twenty or thirty years ago.

iamskippy 11-24-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linesider82 (Post 1022014)
Skip what is the function of the brushes? I checked the switch terminals for sawdust/corrosion but they were clean. The motor tries to turn over but doesn't, I'm thinking of taking it in for fix/service might be the best thing to do.

Sorry bud just saw this. Check pm.

pbadad 11-24-2013 02:23 PM

Matt the brushes send current to the armature. If they look worn down where there is a loss of tension and contact that may be your problem. Also cleaning the brush contact surface and regrooving the seperation lines on the commutator will be needed if brushes need replacing.

Sgt Striper 11-25-2013 10:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Cold in the shop the last few days, some stuff in various stages. Need to fire up heater and get to work. Pikie/Cowboy hybrid in the lower left of photo, 8" and probably 4.5 oz. when done.