Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Beer & Beverage (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   just tired of IPA's.... (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=82184)

bobber 05-05-2013 11:49 PM

just tired of IPA's....

I don't drink a "ton" of beer, and often just drink some light beer whenever I do. so when I had some friends over last weekend for the annual "fishermen's dinner" I put a 12pack of bud light in the cooler to get things started. as the night went on, people brought a mix of different suff (including some sampler 12packs) for a nice variety. when I went back for another beer trhe next day, ALL the budlights were gone and I had 5 different types of IPA left... (along with some kida Storm Imperial stout)

the stuff is just too bitter, or too "hoppy" for me- and I gave it to the guy down the street. I'm back to the lagers for now- and Sunset Wheat when I can find it around here.

Nebe 05-06-2013 08:19 AM

It's an acquired taste. Much like drinking your coffee black.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

The Dad Fisherman 05-06-2013 10:49 AM

IPA's are my favorite.....like my coffee black too...:hee:

Ian 05-06-2013 10:57 AM

Try a belgian style IPA...

spence 05-06-2013 11:03 AM

Some people just don't like stronger beer.

-spence

fishbones 05-06-2013 11:18 AM

I love the hoppy beers, but lately I've been drinking a lot of the Palm pale ale. Very mellow with a nice flavor. If it didn't say it was an ale, you probably wouldn't guess that it was.

rphud 05-06-2013 11:27 AM

To quote the Hobgoblin, "What's the matter Lagerboy, afraid you're gonna taste something?"

Only joking, to each his own taste in brews, and there are plenty of styles to try and like that are less hoppy but very good as well. Maybe some decent craft made Pils comes to mind.

Stay thirsty!

bobber 05-08-2013 06:04 AM

pilsener urquell was an old favorite of mine..... haven't seen that one in a while though. but that's a good idea- gotta look for something that's a happy medium

Sea Dangles 05-08-2013 06:34 AM

Prima Pils is outstanding
Black coffee here

Clogston29 05-09-2013 09:00 AM

not all ales are hoppy either. you may just not like IPAs, or more specifically american IPAs which are much hoppier than European ones. european style ales are much more malty and less hoppy. pale ales are typically much less hoppy also. lots of options. you may find that you start to like the stonger, hoppier selections as you "work your way up" so to speak.

Nebe 05-09-2013 09:06 AM

Not all hops are the same either. Some are bitter, some are piney.. Some are citrusy. Lagunitas does a great job of avoiding strong bitter hops flavors by blending a ton of different strains to create very complex flavors. Especially in Lagunitas Sucks Ale.

flyvice11787 05-09-2013 08:44 PM

Lagunitas Sucks is good stuff. I'm at a cask event right now, and the coolest beer here is the Port Jeff Brewing Birch Stout. Tastes just like root beer, but weighing in at 8.2% ABV. Most of the beers are hopped up IPAs or some variant. This was very unexpected.

Clogston29 05-10-2013 06:12 AM

Sucks is very good. One of my favorites.

DZ 05-10-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clogston29 (Post 998137)
Sucks is very good. One of my favorites.

Talked to the Lagunitas reps at the craft beer festival. They told me that they're thinking about making Sucks a full time brew vice seasonal because of the popularity. That would suit me and many of you just fine.

DZ

rphud 05-12-2013 06:37 AM

Only Navy folk say "vice".

zimmy 05-14-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobber (Post 997600)

the stuff is just too bitter, or too "hoppy" for me- and I gave it to the guy down the street. I'm back to the lagers for now- and Sunset Wheat when I can find it around here.

I think keystone makes a beer you might like. .!..

Saltheart 05-15-2013 03:38 PM

You get three things from hops...Bitterness , flavor and aroma. I love all the hop flavor and aroma I can get but I am not big on bitterness that is out of balance. Its the bitterness that people associate with highly hopped beers like IPA's which is too bad. Sam Adams Boston Lager has a lot of hop aroma but not the high bitterness.

When I make beer I use noble hops like Hallertauer Mittlefruehs and East Kent Goldings. The Mittlkefruehs are nearly perfect for my preferences because they have huge aroma , good taste but low alpha acid content so the bitterness is easy to control. The East Kent Goldings have a great (but different than Mittlefrueh) aroma profile and also lots of flavor. Their Alpha acid content is 2 or more times that of the Mittlefruehs so more care is needed to get the flavor without over bittering. Czech Saaz hops are another good choice to get flavor and aroma with easy to control bitterness.

Its the flavor/bitterness line that is hard to walk when brewing. Its easy to get lots of aroma with little to no bittering but getting flavor without bittering requires some close control.

Now IPA's are generally made with hops that have extremely high alpha acid contents. Can easily be 7 times the alpha acid in Chinooks (a typical IPA hop) vs the Mittlefrueh hops. Originally this high alpha acid bittering was added to IPA's as a preservative. The IPA's had to survive long trips by seas on slow boats and high bittering with hops helps preserve the flavor , all be it a bitter flavor.

Linesider82 05-15-2013 04:16 PM

If anyone happens to go to Philly, do yourself a favor and go to 136 Chestnut Street and you will find Eulogy Bar a.k.a Beer Heaven. It takes a few hours to go through the beer menu, or a couple minutes if you ask the bar tenders. Probably in the top ten of all USA bars & 3 blocks from Independence Hall, and less than a block from a greasy cheese steak.

Sea Dangles 05-15-2013 06:15 PM

Monks is in Philly

Linesider82 05-15-2013 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Dangles (Post 998927)
Monks is in Philly

Ahh yes, and Monks!

Nebe 05-15-2013 06:46 PM

I go to Philly once every year for a week. Eulogy and monks are always on my list.

bobber 06-01-2013 10:11 AM

found something that seems to fit the bill finally....

Guiness Black Lager- really nice!! very dark color, but great crisp lager flavor

zimmy 06-03-2013 01:33 PM

I will get a case of yuengling porter to you. It is cheaper and you may like it even more.

Ian 06-03-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DZ (Post 998225)
Talked to the Lagunitas reps at the craft beer festival. They told me that they're thinking about making Sucks a full time brew vice seasonal because of the popularity. That would suit me and many of you just fine.

DZ

This would be good... VERY good

Clogston29 07-13-2013 10:02 AM

Check out jacks abby. Craft lagers. I like the ipl.

Sea Dangles 07-14-2013 09:22 AM

Hoponius

spence 07-14-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Dangles (Post 1006162)
Hoponius

Yes, it's pretty good.

Clogston29 07-14-2013 11:27 AM

Yes

Clogston29 08-11-2013 08:32 PM

Went to a party over the weekend and they had a keg of hopponius. Having the second anniversary larger now. Double ipl. Outstanding.