Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Boat Fishing & Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   electric boat winch (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=93134)

wdmso 12-25-2017 11:29 AM

electric boat winch

was given a 3000lb winch for the boat for Xmas its an ATV style but if the mounting holes line up I am going to give it a shot . going to mount the batterie on the trailer but should I get a starter batterie or deep cell ?

Slipknot 12-25-2017 01:52 PM

if it is going on the trailer, I would get a gel-cell deep cycle and also put a lock on it

nightfighter 12-25-2017 02:41 PM

Look into the hydraulic dump trailers to find out what battery they use and how they secure the box it lives in.

niko 12-25-2017 04:42 PM

Why not use the truck as the power source? Not being a smart ass
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Raider Ronnie 12-25-2017 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niko (Post 1134049)
Why not use the truck as the power source? Not being a smart ass

Best to mount a battery securely on trailer and have a rear power source from the truck to connect to that battery to keep it charged.
Typical Truck 15-20 ft length is pretty long run for battery cables and those winches draw some amps.

Cool Beans 12-25-2017 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie (Post 1134050)
Best to mount a battery securely on trailer and have a rear power source from the truck to connect to that battery to keep it charged.
Typical Truck 15-20 ft length is pretty long run for battery cables and those winches draw some amps.

He's using a small 3,000 pound ATV winch and should be able to power it from the truck by wiring an additional plug next to the plug for the lights.

Many 4x4s use much larger winches mounted to the bumper that run off of the trucks power without any issues.

Why spend all the worry over theft proofing an expensive battery that he will have to keep charged?

My main concern would be how well is the ATV winch protected against salt water.

I have one of the 3,000 pound ATV winches to help when cutting large oaks. They are light, small, don't draw a ton of amperage and should work well on a boat trailer.

Guppy 12-25-2017 05:40 PM

Charging a battery on the trailer could be problematic ,,, Wayne drives off with the extension cord still plugged into the boat charger,, just saying ;-)

wdmso 12-26-2017 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guppy (Post 1134053)
Charging a battery on the trailer could be problematic ,,, Wayne drives off with the extension cord still plugged into the boat charger,, just saying ;-)

Once.. ok maybe twice

Rockfish9 12-27-2017 07:47 AM

I use a twist lock trolling motor connector at the truck... it has a nice rubber plug to seal out the weather when not in use.and mounting brackets are available.. .. ..the one I have is rated @ 60 Amps... full load for my winch is 30.... be sure to install a breaker at the battery...