Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   The Scuppers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Jeep owners (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=92787)

Katie 09-14-2017 02:14 PM

Jeep owners

Hey guys,

Looking at purchasing a Jeep within the next few days to a week.

Any experiences with them, good/bad?

Have my eyes on the newer Cherokee or Compass.

Thanks!

spence 09-14-2017 02:25 PM

Never owned one but I've heard great stuff.

JohnR 09-15-2017 02:53 PM

They've gotten better over the years - if not getting a Cherokee I would research a lot more - some of them are not so great.

striperjerk1 09-15-2017 04:21 PM

Jeep Mileage stinks. get
a subaru

EliTheBeerGuy 09-20-2017 03:11 PM

I'm currently on my third Wrangler. My dad owns what I think is his fifth. Best perk to a Wrangler is being able to get any part to fix anything. Seriously, anything. Frame recently let go on my 2000 and a kit comes from Quadratec to basically weld on and rebuild/strengthen entire frame.

That said, I will probably never buy a Jeep product that's not a Wrangler. Never heard anything but horror stories about Cherokees, grand Cherokees, or anything of their new cheaper imitations. I take that back, my dad owned a 91 Cherokee (boxy style) that was pretty solid. But I'll stand by the rest of the statement.

Grew up in a garage, dad was a racecar driver, knew how to change brakes and tires and oil before I could drive. Admittedly I'm no trained mechanic, but been pretty handy around cars my whole life.

Just my two cents.

Skillings recently owned a grand Cherokee, you can get a more hands-on opinion from him maybe?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

afterhours 09-20-2017 06:17 PM

I've owned a couple of box type Cherokee 4.0's. bad on gas, watch for undercarriage rust and front end. I had good luck with mine. if you can get into a Toyota 4runner do it had a couple (still do)and can't see myself with anything else.

Mugz 09-21-2017 08:34 AM

Had 2000 Grand Cherokee....best thing I ever drove in the snow. AWD all the time....you couldn't chirp the tires if you tried. Only had to put it into 4WD Low a couple times. It was a tank. Heated leather seats...SWEET. But, AutoZone knew me on a first name basis. The higher the mileage, the more little things would go...Thank God for You Tube videos to help me troubleshoot and fix all the little things.
Bought a new truck after the exhaust fell off, that was the last straw (couldn't fix that in my driveway)....one week after I got the new truck, Wife says to me" Guess what you won't be doing this weekend?"....I was like what do you mean what WON'T I be doing this weekend? She says "You won't be working on your Jeep!!" Funniest thing she ever said!!
But, I will say I did like it....:sled:

Mike P 09-21-2017 08:36 AM

I put almost 300K on my 2002 Grand Cherokee with the 4.0L straight 6. One of the 5 best Detroit engines ever, IMO. So, of course, Chrysler stopped making them. I think you'd have to look for something 2006 or earlier, to get that engine.

trevier 09-21-2017 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike P (Post 1128511)
I put almost 300K on my 2002 Grand Cherokee with the 4.0L straight 6. One of the 5 best Detroit engines ever, IMO. So, of course, Chrysler stopped making them. I think you'd have to look for something 2006 or earlier, to get that engine.

you wonder why they would get rid of it if it was such a bullet proof engine.

Nebe 09-21-2017 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trevier (Post 1128516)

To sell more engines.

bassballer 09-22-2017 08:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres my baby .. 85 CJ

Attachment 64556

jredfly 10-02-2017 08:44 PM

TJs

I really like Jeep Wrangler TJs. Great jeep but watch out for frame rot underneath front of rear wheels. There are kits to fix that issue though. From 1997 to 2006 you can get some good deals I would by the 6 cylinder over the 4, not much better gas mileage and not enough power. Good Luck and have fun!!!

Clammer 10-05-2017 08:32 PM

I,d never buy one compared to what else is out there .

I had a friend that actually got all his money back with the LEMON law .

another had so much trouble he got rid of it ...nit wit bought another one .

My daughter & her &&&&& are on their 2nd ...just about everytime I talked to her its either getting fixed or needs to be .

Read a article on line this week of the 16 most worse vechiles you could buy in the 2017 models ...of course there were two dodges .. but jeeps were 5,6,& 7 ;;

I,m on my 6 Toyota Truck .but if I didn,t need a truck ...... I,d probably own a Subaru ...... the further north you go the more of these are on the road .Just IMO ><><

Dick Durand 10-06-2017 07:01 AM

Lots of friends have jeeps and love them. One, however, has had a series of mechanical issues within the first couple of years to include loss of air conditioning, emission problems, and engine failure.

piemma 10-10-2017 05:46 AM

I have 2 Subaru Foresters and love them.

BigBo 10-10-2017 07:36 AM

I must be the odd man out here. We had a 2000 Grand Cherokee with all the bells and whistles. With the exception of the really good 4.0L engine, it was the almost worst POS I've ever owned. I should have cut my losses way sooner, but in 13 years of ownership, we sunk so much money into that vehicle than anyone should. The biggest reason for hanging on, was it was my wife's primary vehicle and even after 13 years, we traded it in with only 42k miles. So she doesn't put a lot of mileage on her cars. It looked great and was comfortable, but we had trouble with pretty much everything. When the brake lines rotted, I replaced them all and finally convinced her to get rid of it. I'd never buy another Jeep vehicle. Or any Chrysler product for that matter. Don't even get me started on my POS Dodge Ram. :wall:

Mike P 10-10-2017 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trevier (Post 1128516)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 1128519)
To sell more engines.

^^^ That. They claimed that it had to be phased out to meet new mpg standards, but their newer 6 cylinder engines don't do much better, if at all. I'd get about 15 mpg city, 21 highway, and about 17-18 combined. But I also had P/T 4wd.

Nebe 10-10-2017 02:44 PM

J- Ust
E- Mpty
E- Very
P- Ocket

Katie 10-12-2017 03:25 PM

As much as I wanted and was set on - didn't end up with a Jeep. Just couldn't bring myself to pay $300+ a month for a vehicle.

Ended up with a 2011 Hyundai Sonata, has for the most part everything I was looking for and the gas mileage is insane. First 4 cyl car I've ever owned.

Thanks for the input guys!

Nebe 10-12-2017 04:22 PM

Mature decision. Hyundai’s are super reliable.