Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Political Threads (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Predictions (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=67096)

RIROCKHOUND 11-01-2010 12:06 PM

Predictions

What are peoples thoughts for projections?

I think nation wide 7-8 senate seats, 45-50 house seats. Less of a 'sweep' than projected, but still significant.

then back to more of the same from both sides.

Thoughts?

JohnnyD 11-01-2010 12:27 PM

I'm pretty close to inline with your projections.

Then I'll stop paying attention to national politics while we deal with a Lame Duck federal government for 2 full years.

Nebe 11-01-2010 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyD (Post 806951)
I'm pretty close to inline with your projections.

Then I'll stop paying attention to national politics while we deal with a Lame Duck federal government for 2 full years.

I've already stopped paying attention. Our government is broken and is so corrupt, nothing is going to fix it.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

RIJIMMY 11-01-2010 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 806952)
I've already stopped paying attention. Our government is broken and is so corrupt, nothing is going to fix it.

not to derail, but whats corrupt about our govt?
I think its a lot of things, but not corrupt. just curious.

as far as predictions, i dont really have any.
I hope Sean Bielat wins and I hope Prop 19 passes in CA. Those are my election dreams.

JohnR 11-01-2010 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIJIMMY (Post 806955)
not to derail, but whats corrupt about our govt?
I think its a lot of things, but not corrupt. just curious.

as far as predictions, i dont really have any.
I hope Sean Bielat wins and I hope Prop 19 passes in CA. Those are my election dreams.

I hope Bielat wins, and Chafee doesn't ;)

Not a fan of legalizing pot and probably would not partake if it did (nationally) but the impact on smuggling and tax potential has its merits.

I think the swing will be significant but in the range that Rock states, maybe a tick higher.

Nebe 11-01-2010 12:57 PM

Raven. It's so corrupt, it looks normal

fishbones 11-01-2010 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 806968)
Raven. It's so corrupt, it looks normal

Did you just refer to RIJIMMY as Raven? Maybe it's the new avatar?

RIJIMMY 11-01-2010 01:02 PM

[QUOTE=JohnR;806965]Not a fan of legalizing pot and probably would not partake if it did (nationally) but the impact on smuggling and tax potential has its merits.

QUOTE]

you may have a different opinion if your in-laws all lived in CA and you had to visit them for weeks at a time. If it passes, I plan on spending my visits in a haze, eating, smiling and nodding..............:buds:

Nebe 11-01-2010 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishbones (Post 806969)
Did you just refer to RIJIMMY as Raven? Maybe it's the new avatar?

Woops. I did.

Corperations own our government. They donate millions of money to elect politicians and in turn the politicians owe their donors favors.

The outsourcing of jobs away from this country is what I believe to be our greatest threat to the strength of this country, yet our government is encouraging it. Why? Profits.

RIJIMMY 11-01-2010 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 806980)
Woops. I did.

Corperations own our government. They donate millions of money to elect politicians and in turn the politicians owe their donors favors.

The outsourcing of jobs away from this country is what I believe to be our greatest threat to the strength of this country, yet our government is encouraging it. Why? Profits.

Truthfully, I dont know if corporations donate millions to politicans. I thought there were all kinds of campaign contribution limits and reporting laws around that.
As far as outsourcing, yes, its profits. Corporations are private entitites and should maximize profits. The question to me is why is it cheaper to outsource? I would say high taxes, red tape and cheap labor. What can the govt or corporations due to eliminate that? I think this is a result of global competition.

BigFish 11-01-2010 03:48 PM

I hope they all lose!:gh:

justplugit 11-01-2010 09:32 PM

I go with the old adage, don't count your chickens until they're hatched.

Raven 11-02-2010 05:19 AM

My thoughts are that a two Party system thats always battling one another leaves our country divided instead of United to the point very little ever gets accomplished and that my friends is a SAD joke.

buckman 11-02-2010 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raven (Post 807225)
My thoughts are that a two Party system thats always battling one another leaves our country divided instead of United to the point very little ever gets accomplished and that my friends is a SAD joke.

The less they do the better. When they accomplish something it cost us money or freedom.

JohnR 11-02-2010 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raven (Post 807225)

And right now that's not necessarily a bad thing. As much as it pains me not have a long range plan for / goals for our country, I don't trust the hard right to do what's best and I REALLY don't trust the hard left to do what's best. The worst thing we can have right now is one party controlling executive and legislative. There needs to be a filter or we go too far right or too far left. We're a center country.

scottw 11-02-2010 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnR (Post 807243)
And right now that's not necessarily a bad thing. As much as it pains me not have a long range plan for / goals for our country, I don't trust the hard right to do what's best and I REALLY don't trust the hard left to do what's best. The worst thing we can have right now is one party controlling executive and legislative. There needs to be a filter or we go too far right or too far left. We're a center country.

now it's "hard right" and "hard left" ? :rotf2:

far, hard, radical, extreme.....whacko.........everyone thinks they're standing in the center:uhuh:

JohnR 11-02-2010 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottw (Post 807257)
now it's "hard right" and "hard left" ? :rotf2:

far, hard, radical, extreme.....whacko.........everyone thinks they're standing in the center:uhuh:

Well, at least I can see the center :devil2::buds::love:

stcroixman 11-02-2010 07:50 AM

Pot should be legal, it would create revenues. Certainly problems would have to be addressed like with alcohol.

Glad the elections are here. SO many commercials, it is disgusting.

The bickering will intensify with the Republicans taking the house, oh boy more gridlock. Isn't that just hwat our economy needs?

scottw 11-02-2010 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnR (Post 807263)
Well, at least I can see the center :devil2::buds::love:

would you be kind enough to describe what you see...I picture a lot of people that can't decided between 1% and 2% milk :rotf2:

Raven 11-02-2010 08:19 AM

thinking about the VOTE

with so many letters (and e-mails) not being able to be answered
except by an auto reply

and it takes a million man march "practically" to get their undivided attention

plus with the Invention of the internet ...it seems like voting
just once is a self defeating
waste of money considering how much money is spent by politicians to
run for office and the cost of 1/2 hour (attack) tv ads....

seems like only Billionaires can afford to run now for top offices....

that we should make some changes to the political system that changes
the Poll taking over to -> continuous voting on EVERY issue

a case in point ....when a certain NUMBER of Billions of our tax dollars
that are/ will be sent over to Pakistan for example....
we should be able to VOTE yes or NO .....on whether we should or should NOT

instead of the Government having such free control as a Blank check all the Time....
with OUR (the people's) money

Raven 11-02-2010 08:26 AM

for example

140 million Dollars being spent by Meg Whitman to be elected govenor

just imagine all the good that money could do for california instead of being wasted
on a political battle with Jerry Brown the clown

the system is obviously Broken...

Jim in CT 11-02-2010 01:40 PM

My prediction...55 to 65 house seats, 8-10 senate seats. That is a colossal sea-change.

John R, I think, mentioned we are a centrist country. I'll disagree slightly, I believe we are center-right. Gallup did a big nationwide poll this year, asking people to identify their leanings. 42% said conservative, 35% said moderate, 20% said liberal. That's center-right.

I would normally say a balance of power between the 2 parties is best, not anymore. The democratic agenda, at the federal level, just doesn't pass the common sense test. To be a liberal is to really believe that the best way out of a recession is to tax-and-spend your way out.

Common sense suggests that cannot be true. And if you have no common sense, there is plenty of empirical evidence to suggest it isn't true, just look at what's happening in Greece, Ireland, France, Great Britain, Germany, Spain, Portugal.

On national security issues, the liberal agenda is even more bizarre. Bin Laden makes a video claiming that Islam is at war with the west, amd liberals deny eny connection between Islam and terrorism. Securing our borders? Suggest that, and liberals will call you anti-Mexican.

Social issues? Liberals want laws that allow for partial-birth abortion, killing babies that are minutes away from birth? It's infanticide...those babies are induced into labor, the baby's body is stopped as it comes down the birth canal, and its brain is crushed, or it's drowned in saltwater. That's barbarcs on a Hitler-ian scale.

I used to think liberals meant well, but were misguided. I was wrong. It's a full-blown mental disorder. The liberal agenda requires a deliberate, willful ignorance of objective fact, and a suspension of all common sense and decency.

Obviously, there is such a thing as "too far right". But all of the evidence suggests that limited federal gov't, low taxes, individual liberty, pro-business environment is what leads to prosperity. A nanny state is destined to fail.

Bronko 11-02-2010 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 807380)
My prediction...55 to 65 house seats, 8-10 senate seats. That is a colossal sea-change.

John R, I think, mentioned we are a centrist country. I'll disagree slightly, I believe we are center-right. Gallup did a big nationwide poll this year, asking people to identify their leanings. 42% said conservative, 35% said moderate, 20% said liberal. That's center-right.

I would normally say a balance of power between the 2 parties is best, not anymore. The democratic agenda, at the federal level, just doesn't pass the common sense test. To be a liberal is to really believe that the best way out of a recession is to tax-and-spend your way out.

Common sense suggests that cannot be true. And if you have no common sense, there is plenty of empirical evidence to suggest it isn't true, just look at what's happening in Greece, Ireland, France, Great Britain, Germany, Spain, Portugal.

On national security issues, the liberal agenda is even more bizarre. Bin Laden makes a video claiming that Islam is at war with the west, amd liberals deny eny connection between Islam and terrorism. Securing our borders? Suggest that, and liberals will call you anti-Mexican.

Social issues? Liberals want laws that allow for partial-birth abortion, killing babies that are minutes away from birth? It's infanticide...those babies are induced into labor, the baby's body is stopped as it comes down the birth canal, and its brain is crushed, or it's drowned in saltwater. That's barbarcs on a Hitler-ian scale.

I used to think liberals meant well, but were misguided. I was wrong. It's a full-blown mental disorder. The liberal agenda requires a deliberate, willful ignorance of objective fact, and a suspension of all common sense and decency.

Obviously, there is such a thing as "too far right". But all of the evidence suggests that limited federal gov't, low taxes, individual liberty, pro-business environment is what leads to prosperity. A nanny state is destined to fail.

Jim In Ct for ANY political office in the land.:uhuh:

Swimmer 11-02-2010 01:57 PM

I think the sweep is going to be huge. There were five times as many people in East Brdigewater votingthis morning as were when Scott Brown's historic day. Looking around I could see, feel, and hear the consensus of change about to happen. These people were so eager to get into the booth its was incredible.

Jim in CT 11-02-2010 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bronko (Post 807385)
Jim In Ct for ANY political office in the land.:uhuh:

I promised my wife I'd wait until my kids don't need so much of my time, but I will run for office. Unfortunately, down here in the People's Republic Of Connecticut, conservatism doesn't seem too popular.

We're a very liberal state. Therefore, our financial situation highlights the inevitable result of the liberal agenda...high taxes COMBINED with massive deficits. And the response of my fellow nutmeggers will be to elect more tax-and-spend democrats, because as we all know, the best way to get out of a hole is to keep digging, right??

RIJIMMY 11-02-2010 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 807392)
I promised my wife I'd wait until my kids don't need so much of my time, but I will run for office. Unfortunately, down here in the People's Republic Of Connecticut, conservatism doesn't seem too popular.

We're a very liberal state. Therefore, our financial situation highlights the inevitable result of the liberal agenda...high taxes COMBINED with massive deficits. And the response of my fellow nutmeggers will be to elect more tax-and-spend democrats, because as we all know, the best way to get out of a hole is to keep digging, right??

Im with Bronko, you have my vote.

JohnR 11-02-2010 03:31 PM

Same here.