Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Kayaking (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Trailer (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=80929)

Slingah 01-29-2013 05:50 PM

Trailer

I am looking for suggestions for a trailer to haul either 1 or 2 kayaks. I'll be towing with a Subaru Forester. I did see some that were crazy money.
Anybody tow? I'd think up on top of the car would suck.

BigFish 01-29-2013 05:55 PM

I have a trailer for one and the other on the rack on the truck! Trailer cost me about 1K!

striperman36 01-29-2013 07:27 PM

harbor freight trailer wood rack

Slingah 01-29-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by striperman36 (Post 982452)
harbor freight trailer wood rack

I was actually looking at this Utility Trailer 4'x8' - Heavy Duty Folding Utility Trailer. I read somewhere about making a kayak hauler out of it but was concerned it wouldn't be long enough as kayak is 14'.....Do you have this or one like it?

BigFish 01-29-2013 08:45 PM

There are pluses and minuses Matt to trailering! I have a trailer for my Pro Angler because its a monster...Angies Outback goes on the truck rack easily! I sometimes wish I could carry them both on the racks when there are places I would like to go but having the trailer on the back makes parking difficult! You can be alot more stealth having them on top of the car! Your kayak weighs about 70 pounds I am guessing so why not put them on the roof??? They make nice duel kayak racks for vehicles like the Subaru?? You should be able to load them on that vehicle with very little trouble? Your driveway also will suck to have to back a trailer into....think about it!

Still want to look at Trailers....mine is a Trailex! Trailex.com

Slingah 01-29-2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFish (Post 982465)
There are pluses and minuses Matt to trailering! I have a trailer for my Pro Angler because its a monster...Angies Outback goes on the truck rack easily! I sometimes wish I could carry them both on the racks when there are places I would like to go but having the trailer on the back makes parking difficult! You can be alot more stealth having them on top of the car! Your kayak weighs about 70 pounds I am guessing so why not put them on the roof??? They make nice duel kayak racks for vehicles like the Subaru?? You should be able to load them on that vehicle with very little trouble? Your driveway also will suck to have to back a trailer into....think about it!

Still want to look at Trailers....mine is a Trailex! Trailex.com

good points Larry, thanks....I might just get a rack( but trying to envision 2 big kayaks on such a small vehicle). This looks perfect http://yakima.com/shop/trailers/trai...and-roll-66and I could just lift, wheel it and store the yaks on it....but no way am I spending that money.

BigFish 01-29-2013 10:12 PM

During the season it amazes me how many vehicles there are driving around with kayaks on them?? All different vehicles!! Matt go on Newenglandkayakfishing.com and ask around or search for others who may have a Subaru they cart their yaks around with....they may be of help? Always good to do the research first!:uhuh:

striperman36 01-30-2013 08:00 AM

get the roller that goes on the back window. I just have the bar extension for the front bar from thule and I lift 1 end up at a time

Paul D 01-30-2013 10:20 AM

I have a Malone Kayak trailer

I bought a Malone Kayak Microsport trailer last year. You can view it at Canoe Trailer, Kayak Trailer, Bike Trailer, Sports Utility Trailer | Malone Auto Racks I'm extremely happy with it. Got it for $925 on Amazon last year. Easy easy to assemble. Its great hauling around my Ocean Kayak Trident 13. I previously had racks on top of my car. Thats a big kayak for that. So much easier having my yak all set to go on the trailer. Just back up hitch it and go. You want to go a little more "high end" the Yakama trailer is great. The problem I found with converting a utility trailer is the lack of length needed for larger yaks. :fishin:

Slingah 01-30-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul D (Post 982519)
I bought a Malone Kayak Microsport trailer last year. You can view it at Canoe Trailer, Kayak Trailer, Bike Trailer, Sports Utility Trailer | Malone Auto Racks I'm extremely happy with it. Got it for $925 on Amazon last year. Easy easy to assemble. Its great hauling around my Ocean Kayak Trident 13. I previously had racks on top of my car. Thats a big kayak for that. So much easier having my yak all set to go on the trailer. Just back up hitch it and go. You want to go a little more "high end" the Yakama trailer is great. The problem I found with converting a utility trailer is the lack of length needed for larger yaks. :fishin:

Thanks. I have looked at those too and am leaning towards one. I'm going to keep my eye on Amazon.

Rockport24 01-31-2013 03:37 PM

Hey Matt, I drive an outback and I transport mine deck-down right on the rack, but you could easily add a j-bar type rack next to it and be able to fit another yak on it. A trailer would be easier, but you could buy another yak for the cost of one! It's not bad taking it on and off the roof of the subaru at all, of course if you have any shoulder or other issues it would be a problem.
Larry made fun of me for being able to get my kayak on my roof so easily when we went fishing a couple of years ago!

BigFish 01-31-2013 04:25 PM

That was envy Rock!:uhuh:

frogman_ch 02-08-2013 08:36 AM

Hey Larry, I just picked up a PA12. How do you like your trailer? I am also leaning towards the Malone but would like something in aluminum instead. This will just be for trips longer than 25 miles, anything shorter than that I just use a cheap bed extender that I got at Harbor freight and slide it in the back (Subaru Outback) works great and can still keep it set up.

BigFish 02-08-2013 08:58 AM

I love it....no issues with it at all!!!:uhuh:

Slingah 07-14-2013 10:54 PM

Larry where did you get the Trailex? I'm looking at the 2 yak model. Yours is aluminum, correct?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

BigFish 07-15-2013 07:18 AM

Trailex.com I believe!! Shipped to your door!

Raven 07-15-2013 08:10 AM

those smaller trailer wheels frighten me
should be same size almost ,as the vehicle that's towing it)

soon as i find the bolts i bought (missing in action)
i am installing my hitch... that's step ONE

Raven 07-15-2013 08:17 AM

i was towing a full sized ford van
behind a mid sized moving van once

the expansion crack bumps every 30' feet
on a grade set up a vibration pattern
that loosed the ball hitch and began filing off the threads
one by one until there were only JUST two left

the NUT was already long gone....

so , i won't feel comfortable unless the ball hitch
is drilled through below the nut and cotter pinned

BigBo 07-15-2013 11:53 AM

Matt, there are some pics here of the trailer I had under my Pro Angler. I was a jet ski trailer that ran @ $600 with a sheet of plywood for the deck and a couple lengths of PVC tubing to act as guide positioners. Worked out great. You could even rig "J" racks to fit two kayaks on the trailer.

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...ghlight=angler