Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Painting jigs (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=15772)

Seahoss 06-13-2004 01:14 PM

Painting jigs

What is the best paint to use for painting lead head jigs.:smash: :smash:

"uffah!!" 06-13-2004 05:10 PM

"Painting Jigs"

I asked the same question a while ago. I was told that Powder-Coating was the way to go. I was told about a web site that
explained just how to do it, and where to get the Powder-Coating, but I can't remember what the site was!

Jigman 06-14-2004 07:12 AM

Powder paint. The pro tech stuff is what I use. Heat the jig head, swirl it through the powder, cure by baking in oven at 350 for 15 minutes. Be sure to keep the powder fluffed up. Use a straw, nail, wire, etc. after every few jigs to stir the powder. For larger jigs, pour the powder into a larger tupperware bowl and dip there. You can use a toaster oven (cheap ones at Wally World for around $20) and a small cookie sheet to heat them. Hold them by the hook with pliers. You could also use a propane torch or candle to heat the jigs. Get a couple of those aluminum bread pans (size that will fit your oven), take some extra wire and run through the top of the pan to make a rack to hold the jigs while curing in the oven. Just don't use the lead in any oven that you will be cooking food in.

Jigman

BassAssasin 06-14-2004 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jigman
Heat the jig head, swirl it through the powder, cure by baking in oven at 350 for 15 minutes.
Jigman

But what if I like them well done?:D

Jigman 06-14-2004 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by BassAssasin
But what if I like them well done?:D
The paint will melt off or be deformed/discolored making your jigs look like chit, thus wasting some good lead :bshake:

Jigman

capesams 06-14-2004 11:25 AM

what's wrong with using lead paint for painting lead:confused:

never painted a jig head in 30 years,,,still manage a boat load of fish.:huh:

RIROCKHOUND 06-14-2004 11:54 AM

Just dip em in small 8oz jars of rustoleum... black, or white or red...
Bryan

BassAssasin 06-14-2004 12:24 PM

So yer tellin me that all those beautiful smilin bills you've sent me are medium rare?????:p :happy: ;)

Quote:

Originally posted by Jigman
The paint will melt off or be deformed/discolored making your jigs look like chit, thus wasting some good lead :bshake:

Jigman

Jigman 06-14-2004 01:04 PM

BA, I don't remember what sizes I sent you. I have a ton of them though, so they are not that rare :D

CS, I think its more of a personal preference than anything else, same as painting plugs.

Jigman

capesams 06-14-2004 03:53 PM

your right about that......plain lookin jigs don't catch fishermen;)

FyshhTrap 10-01-2016 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND (Post 180589)
Just dip em in small 8oz jars of rustoleum... black, or white or red...
Bryan

Yup , I spray paint mine, check em out in my pics, as much as I lose em in the rocks, but powder is the best.