Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Kayaking (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   How to deal with scup (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=86376)

dannyplug1 07-20-2014 05:55 PM

How to deal with scup

Of late I can't get the tube and worm through he scup. Am I fishing too shallow? How deep should I be fishing. Is it possible that I am fishing too shallow? I also thought that scup hits might indicate that there were no large bass around. Help all I can do lately is feed the scup expensive tube worms. Thanks Charlie

RIROCKHOUND 07-20-2014 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannyplug1 (Post 1047387)
Of late I can't get the tube and worm through he scup. Am I fishing too shallow? How deep should I be fishing. Is it possible that I am fishing too shallow? I also thought that scup hits might indicate that there were no large bass around. Help all I can do lately is feed the scup expensive tube worms. Thanks Charlie

Liveline the scup....

Gulp/rubber worms worked back in the days when we tubed....

PRBuzz 07-20-2014 06:17 PM

Move!

Cool Beans 07-20-2014 07:14 PM

I caught mine today in the 4 to 6 feet of water around good rocks that are exposed at low tide but underwater at high tide. tube and worm slowly trolled past the far side of the rocks. I been seeing the scup in the 12 to 20 feet range.

Prior to today I had been targeting the leeward side of the bridge pylons and had been catching lots of scup. Today I moved to the shallows and fished rock structure that just looked good to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRBuzz (Post 1047389)
Move!

hq2 07-27-2014 03:11 PM

I'm not so sure that scup are actually such a bad problem to have. The bigger ones fight hard and are pretty good eating; I've always enjoyed catching them when I'm down at BB. As for the small ones, they should make good striper bait. Why not bring two rods the next time, catch scup wth the first and liveline with the second, like RIrockhound said? That way, you can go two for one. (Be sure to bring some scissors to cut off the top fins on the ones you liveline). And, if you are in a rocky area, you shouldn't have to go far to find stripers (although at this time of year, I'm not sure how many are in BB overall).

iamskippy 07-27-2014 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRBuzz (Post 1047389)
Move!

Pro advice right there...
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Cool Beans 07-27-2014 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hq2 (Post 1047954)
I'm not so sure that scup are actually such a bad problem to have. The bigger ones fight hard and are pretty good eating; I've always enjoyed catching them when I'm down at BB. As for the small ones, they should make good striper bait. Why not bring two rods the next time, catch scup wth the first and liveline with the second, like RIrockhound said? That way, you can go two for one. (Be sure to bring some scissors to cut off the top fins on the ones you liveline). And, if you are in a rocky area, you shouldn't have to go far to find stripers (although at this time of year, I'm not sure how many are in BB overall).

LOL thats how I been doing it, I have my 2 striper rods that I troll with and then a light weight rod I use for trout to catch scup. I modified my kayak and added 2 forward rod holders so I can have the 2 behind me (lines up) while I fish for scup with the light rod. This works very good near the pylons of newport bridge. If the striper are not hitting the tube and worm, the scup are always biting.