Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Boat Fishing & Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Boat Sank off Cutty (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=96748)

Ian 08-02-2020 03:48 PM

Boat Sank off Cutty

Heard the report over the radio, 4 in the water, all recovered safely by a nearby private vessel. Coast Guard on scene 20 min or so after the call.

Seems like they might have had a run in with Sow and Pigs given that the recovering vessel initially reported concerns about water depth preventing them from reaching the people in the water

Sea Dangles 08-02-2020 06:38 PM

I went by there yesterday and it always gets my respect.

Ian 08-02-2020 09:49 PM

Looks like it was a 47’.... damn!

https://wbsm.com/four-boaters-rescue...off-cuttyhunk/
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

wdmso 08-03-2020 10:49 AM

After seeing this it peaked my intrest in an epirb. Device for the boat more like the personal size then I saw a comment on the cost of a rescue if needed. And a suggestion to get a Rescue Response Insurance Plan..

Any ideas what such a rescue would cost? The salvage part and environmental part aside?

Nebe 08-03-2020 11:13 AM

I only heard the CG side of the vhf conversation... there were quite a few incidents going on yesterday. Sundays always brings out the noobs

Higgie 08-03-2020 01:03 PM

Wind was def above what they predicted and anyone who knows, knows that corner of cutty is a death sentence if you don’t know what your doing. I’m inland quite a ways and today’s winds have been close to 10 mph above what was stated

Ian 08-03-2020 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Higgie (Post 1197991)
Wind was def above what they predicted and anyone who knows, knows that corner of cutty is a death sentence if you don’t know what your doing. I’m inland quite a ways and today’s winds have been close to 10 mph above what was stated

This is what has me pondering my decision to sneak out tomorrow morning during the forecasted lull...

spence 08-03-2020 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 1197998)
This is what has me pondering my decision to sneak out tomorrow morning during the forecasted lull...

Key word.

Ian 08-03-2020 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1197999)
Key word.

:) exactly

Nebe 08-03-2020 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 1197998)

Confucius say - Lull can change to LOL mighty quick.

JohnR 08-04-2020 07:22 AM

It is worse than ever, lots of new people in old boats right now living the best life

wdmso 08-04-2020 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnR (Post 1198027)
It is worse than ever, lots of new people in old boats right now living the best life

My brother in-law is one of them older boat no working nav lights no vhf no chart plotter limited experience. But he feels if he only goes local he's fine .. i try to educate him but not having much luck.. but I'll keep trying

Nebe 08-04-2020 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1198032)
My brother in-law is one of them older boat no working nav lights no vhf no chart plotter limited experience. But he feels if he only goes local he's fine .. i try to educate him but not having much luck.. but I'll keep trying

Gift him a hand held vhf.

But also in his defense, cellphones are actually more helpful if you are dry in your boat than a vhf. And if he only goes hour during gentleman’s hours, nav lights are not needed.

wdmso 08-04-2020 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 1198034)
Gift him a hand held vhf.

But also in his defense, cellphones are actually more helpful if you are dry in your boat than a vhf. And if he only goes hour during gentleman’s hours, nav lights are not needed.

Its just he is a 1st responder. And would complain about how others put themselves in bad spots needing rescue.. or not wearing a seatbelt. I am Trying to find him a chart plotter or headheld gps

Guppy 08-04-2020 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1198041)
Its just he is a 1st responder. And would complain about how others put themselves in bad spots needing rescue.. or not wearing a seatbelt. I am Trying to find him a chart plotter or headheld gps

I think I have an old plotter.... I’ll be in touch