Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   The Scuppers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Need suggestionsf for good running shoes (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=72511)

ThrowingTimber 07-30-2011 09:33 AM

Need suggestionsf for good running shoes

Been running for the past 3 weeks. Week 4 coming up. Looking for suggestions for good running shoes. Currently using a pair of new balance and therye a bit clunky.

spence 07-30-2011 09:45 AM

I think there's a running store in Prov.

What works for one person might not work for another. I like my Asics Gel Nimbus, but that's cause I'm 200 lbs+ and under pronate.

If you have good form you might be able to get by with a less substantial shoe.

If you don't know I'd just talk to an expert. Running shoes aren't that expensive.

-spence

jimmy z 07-30-2011 12:08 PM

That's a good thing Vic.

Stewie 07-30-2011 12:41 PM

Korkers. They have interchangeable soles so you can run on various surfaces without undue slippage:rotf2:

Sgt_Nutz 07-30-2011 02:35 PM

I am on my second pair of Asics Gels. They tend to run a little wider than other brands. Kohls usually has some good deals.

Mike P 07-30-2011 03:22 PM

Wish I could help you Vic, but I ran my last race in 1980. :biglaugh:

At that time, Nikes and New Balance shoes were still made in the US, Adidas were still made in (West) Germany, and Asics were still made in Japan. I think all of them are made in China or Vietnam now. :( I trained in New Balance mainly because they were the only ones made in different widths then (and I have EEE feet), and raced in Nike Eagles.

Although I'm within 10 lbs. of my running weight now, and am thinking about maybe getting back into it.

fishbones 07-30-2011 03:42 PM

If you plan on doing a lot of running, go to a store that specializes in running shoes and have them fit you. A good pair of running shoes can be expensive, but it's worth it. You wouldn't imagine how much better your feet will feel with the right pair of sneakers after a run.

striperman36 07-30-2011 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishbones (Post 875547)
If you plan on doing a lot of running, go to a store that specializes in running shoes and have them fit you. A good pair of running shoes can be expensive, but it's worth it. You wouldn't imagine how much better your feet will feel with the right pair of sneakers after a run.

My PT, Olympic PT in Newport, fits me. I like it.

likwid 07-30-2011 04:24 PM

DB Sports in Attleboro.
Owner has been fitting shoes for a ton of marathon people for years.

The ones you want are the ones that fit you correctly.
Not whats shiny and awesome.

justplugit 07-30-2011 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by likwid (Post 875558)
Not whats shiny and awesome.

True,but they gotta be the new in- color, Red. :D

spence 07-30-2011 07:46 PM

My current Asics are black (carbon really) with neon orange glow in the dark laces.

Day or night you can see my feet coming a mile away.

-spence

justplugit 07-31-2011 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 875581)
My current Asics are black (carbon really) with neon orange glow in the dark laces.

Day or night you can see my feet coming a mile away.

-spence

Spence, ya gotta get with the times. Carbon and Orange are soo passe. :hihi:
Your not a true blue runner without red shoes. They increase your speed and
efficeincy. :D

Swimmer 07-31-2011 12:40 PM

Even LL Bean has the low cut red sneak.

american spirit 08-01-2011 09:30 AM

from what i hear, brooks are good if you're looking for a traditional running shoe.

if you want to try the new minimalist/ barefoot shoes i heard merrill and new balance make a good one. i hate crunchy looking things with the individual toes.

billy413 08-01-2011 02:47 PM

Check this link out I have a pair that I use for fishing and boating I love them. They are the most comfortable shoe I have ever worn.

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/pro...s_footwear.htm

Dick Durand 08-01-2011 04:15 PM

I like New Balance, because they offer so many widths. Currently running (occasionally) in the NB 769.

WESTPORTMAFIA 08-01-2011 08:24 PM

Watch the show cops.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

jredfly 08-01-2011 08:32 PM

I have a pair of Saucony Omni 8's which I really like and I think they got Runners World sneaker of the year in 2009. The Nikes I have looked at have been crap, you can bend the sole very easily and I was told that is not good. Saucony. Asics and Brooks will only bend at the ball of the foot. You do have to see what sneaker is best for you though and it does't matter what anyone says if you are not comfortable. I tend to pronate and when I started running I was 230 pounds (at 5'9") so I needed a lot of support. Look at your current sneakers and see if they are worn on the inner foot, that would mean you pronate and need some bulk or more support by the inner arch and heel. A good running store will have you bring your old sneakers to evaluate you. Because I have a tight budget and like a deal I just picked up a pair of Asics GT-2150 at Olympia Sports for $59 (with a $10 coupon). They are usually a $100 but because they came out with a new model they cut the price. This got good write ups in runners world but check out others online. Welcome to the running club I started running last year while trying to lose weight for the portly angler. Last Saturday I ran 9.5 miles which is the longest I ever ran, I am almost ready for that half marathon I have been shooting for. Do your research, there are sneakers out there that are not top of the line that people are very happy with but I think you get what you pay for so I would rather pay an extra $15 on something I can rely on. Good Luck! :uhuh:

Gloucester2 08-02-2011 01:43 PM

Carbon is not a color, Spence :rotf2:

Finaddict 08-03-2011 08:33 AM

Each company has good pairs - Saucony, Asics, Brooks ... and so on.

The recommendation to go to a specialty running store is the best ... two weeks before I broke my leg, i picked up a nice pair of Brooks - they are black and green, were not cheap, but they were great for running ... only got to use them about five or six times before the accident ...

I normally would have leaned to the Asics, as I have a pair of those that are good as well ... but the salesperson at the store had me try on a range of different shoes, had me run to see my running style and I wound up going with the Brooks ... which i never would have done if I were on my own.

ThrowingTimber 08-07-2011 04:52 PM

Thanks for the help guys. Likwid I stopped at DB Sports this afternoon and they were super helpful thanks :)

jredfly 08-10-2011 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrowingTimber (Post 877885)
Thanks for the help guys. Likwid I stopped at DB Sports this afternoon and they were super helpful thanks :)

What did you wind up buying and how is the running going?

ThrowingTimber 08-11-2011 07:34 AM

Asics gel foundation 10

The running is going well. Surprisingly I'm doing better on the road bike than expected. 17-20 miles at 12.36 mph 100+ revolutions per minute, just to get the dexterity back.

Run: Mon, wends, Fri
Road bike: Tuesday, Thurs and some Saturday with the kids.

Focusing on knocking out a 15 mile road bike time trial followed by a 5k :uhuh: Running 2.5 miles now in the mid 20's just gotta get to the lower 20's. 18 yr smoker so my lung capacity is horrid, legs feel fine and I can push pretty damn good but lungs hold me back, they feel like theyre going to fall right the F.... out :wall:

Bumping it to 3 miles running Monday.

jredfly 08-11-2011 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrowingTimber (Post 879050)
Asics gel foundation 10

The running is going well. Surprisingly I'm doing better on the road bike than expected. 17-20 miles at 12.36 mph 100+ revolutions per minute, just to get the dexterity back.

Run: Mon, wends, Fri
Road bike: Tuesday, Thurs and some Saturday with the kids.

Focusing on knocking out a 15 mile road bike time trial followed by a 5k :uhuh: Running 2.5 miles now in the mid 20's just gotta get to the lower 20's. 18 yr smoker so my lung capacity is horrid, legs feel fine and I can push pretty damn good but lungs hold me back, they feel like theyre going to fall right the F.... out :wall:

Bumping it to 3 miles running Monday.

That is awesome! Keep it up and good luck with your time trial. :uhuh: