Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Etex Yellowing? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=77970)

surfflyfish 06-12-2012 09:00 AM

Etex Yellowing?

1 Attachment(s)
really don't know what happened, been using etex since i started.made 2 batches and i noticed one batch etex coating is turning yellow but the other one is not.just can't figure it out,i thought etex never turn yellow and specially in such short period of time.
any thoughts?

Eric Roach 06-12-2012 11:33 AM

Has that plug (plugs) been exposed to a lot of sunlight (like in a clear plano box near a window in the car, etc.)?

Charleston 06-12-2012 11:54 AM

Was it mixed well enough? What paint did you put it over? Color?

Eric Roach 06-12-2012 12:25 PM

Another question (:)): Did you happen to mix that batch on a surface you normally don't, like a piece of wood or paper, etc.?

surfflyfish 06-12-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Roach (Post 943795)
Has that plug (plugs) been exposed to a lot of sunlight (like in a clear plano box near a window in the car, etc.)?

no they just came out about last week,it happened to about 6 plugs out the whole batch only the while ones.that never happened before.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charleston (Post 943801)
Was it mixed well enough? What paint did you put it over? Color?

well mix Bill,and i mix it in the same tiny cups

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Roach (Post 943810)
Another question (:)): Did you happen to mix that batch on a surface you normally don't, like a piece of wood or paper, etc.?

no eric, i use a cup and the finish wasn't tacky at all.is normal.only half of the plug yellowed.weird.

Eric Roach 06-12-2012 01:15 PM

Hmm...I haven't experienced this particular brand of epoxy pain; the yellowing I've seen came primarily from lures baking in the sun.

The blotchiness is interesting; I wonder if it happens to be tannins/resin leaking from the wood. Are all the plugs that blotched made from the same type (and piece) of wood?

Sgt Striper 06-12-2012 02:39 PM

What kind of wood, what sealer and what primer did you use?? Something is bleeding through, my guess is the sealer was not completely dry, high humidity in the summer equals longer dry times.

surfflyfish 06-12-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Roach (Post 943822)
Hmm...I haven't experienced this particular brand of epoxy pain; the yellowing I've seen came primarily from lures baking in the sun.

The blotchiness is interesting; I wonder if it happens to be tannins/resin leaking from the wood. Are all the plugs that blotched made from the same type (and piece) of wood?

ayc,but the yellow hue is only on one side of it.is just funny and i've been using the same etex in all lures.i coated 2 batches that same day and this only happened to one batch,the other one is fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgt Striper (Post 943832)
What kind of wood, what sealer and what primer did you use?? Something is bleeding through, my guess is the sealer was not completely dry, high humidity in the summer equals longer dry times.

is sealed with epoxy,all of them i sealed them at once.it doesn't look like is from the paint or wood,i looks like is the epoxy reacting to something.the spinner been at the same place for a long time.
i was just thinking the dye from the acid brush maybe ?

Slipknot 06-12-2012 08:43 PM

AYC can do that and it can be just one area too as it is caused by the sapwood bleeding thru.
I have some plugs that did that, it shows on white.

I try to seal AYC with minwax wood hardner or propianite to stop that, I bet sealing with epoxy could work also.

choose your wood wisely

surfflyfish 06-13-2012 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slipknot (Post 943940)
AYC can do that and it can be just one area too as it is caused by the sapwood bleeding thru.
I have some plugs that did that, it shows on white.

I try to seal AYC with minwax wood hardner or propianite to stop that, I bet sealing with epoxy could work also.

choose your wood wisely

i seal the wood with epoxy too,ok so that must be it.i was guessing the dye from the brush maybe,but your point sounds more convincing.
good point,thank you.

Rockfish9 06-14-2012 11:20 AM

I've had a few white ones do it.. but usualy after they have been around awhile..I always blamed it on my paint... the fish dont seem to mind and the coating remains durable.. and in the end.. those are the criteria i care about most.