Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Boat Fishing & Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Trolling motor (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=97252)

wdmso 02-12-2021 08:27 AM

Trolling motor

2 Attachment(s)
Pulled the trigger on a MK 72in 36v 112lb via JFigliuolo and indirectly from Clammer ..:kewl:

But because of my storage issues and not looking to have 3 Group 27 or larger batteries @ 60lb a piece decided to go with a single 36 volt lithium 80ah and weighs 50Lbs. and is 20in long

Seeing Lithiums can be mounted on their sides or vertical has provided some out of the box mounting choices , also thinking of a cooler or portable battery Box so it can be removed like the motor and I can avoid running wires to my console or just plug into the cooler Havent decided.. going to be a busy march and April.

any and all feed back + or - appreciated

Guppy 02-12-2021 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1209199)
Pulled the trigger on a MK 72in 36v 112lb via JFigliuolo and indirectly from Clammer ..:kewl:

But because of my storage issues and not looking to have 3 Group 27 or larger batteries @ 60lb a piece decided to go with a single 36 volt lithium 80ah and weighs 50Lbs. and is 20in long

Seeing Lithiums can be mounted on their sides or vertical has provided some out of the box mounting choices , also thinking of a cooler or portable battery Box so it can be removed like the motor and I can avoid running wires to my console or just plug into the cooler Havent decided.. going to be a busy march and April.

any and all feed back + or - appreciated

just remember to unplug the extension cord when you head for the ramp.... :wave:

couldn't resist... :-)

Slipknot 02-12-2021 02:24 PM

Great choice
enjoy that:kewl:

wdmso 02-12-2021 06:38 PM

Ray now you got me thinking if I can take the battery out of of the boat there’s a good chance I would forget it in the shed LOL.

slip thanks looking forward to seeing how it works ,
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Clammer 02-12-2021 07:24 PM

wAYNE

Best of luck with it ……...game changer

IMO get a on board battery charger … that way you can charge it in place [easier] & won,t forget it at home

LOL for me . my rig ran well in the water before ..with the added weight of everything .its as close as awesome as that hull could get :walk:

wdmso 02-12-2021 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clammer (Post 1209213)
wAYNE

Best of luck with it ……...game changer

IMO get a on board battery charger … that way you can charge it in place [easier] & won,t forget it at home

LOL for me . my rig ran well in the water before ..with the added weight of everything .its as close as awesome as that hull could get :walk:

Nice mike I hear that from everyone who is running one !

I just hope I remember it’s in the water before I take off chasing breaking fish!

Clammer 02-12-2021 10:43 PM

that,s a real good chance . its probably a good thing I don,t run & gun :lasso:

wdmso 02-20-2021 01:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Found this mount called slide shuttle its removable and slide to keep the from hanging over the bow when not in use. :btu:

Guppy 02-20-2021 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1209320)
Found this mount called slide shuttle its removable and slide to keep the from hanging over the bow when not in use. :btu:

Wow , I’m jumping on with you more often... LOL. ;-)

Clammer 02-20-2021 05:14 PM

lloks slick .does it pull in or to the side ??

JFigliuolo 02-21-2021 06:41 AM

Slides forward and backwards.

wdmso 02-21-2021 09:30 AM

They sell different models mine slide 7inches, hoping I can position it with that distance so as not to remove by bow light to the rub rails?

wdmso 04-06-2021 04:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quick update finished my portable cooler battery box having a not so easy time finding where I want to mount the trolling motor , was hoping to be able to keep my bow light with a low profile one I found , but even with the sliding mount I have not looking good

JFigliuolo 04-07-2021 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1210302)
Quick update finished my portable cooler battery box having a not so easy time finding where I want to mount the trolling motor , was hoping to be able to keep my bow light with a low profile one I found , but even with the sliding mount I have not looking good

For last boat used this...https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07NPYK2...ing=UTF8&psc=1

For current boat installing single starboard light UNDER motor, attached to aluminum mounting plate

wdmso 04-07-2021 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFigliuolo (Post 1210311)
For last boat used this...https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07NPYK2...ing=UTF8&psc=1

For current boat installing single starboard light UNDER motor, attached to aluminum mounting plate

Looked at that exact one not sure why it’s so hard to get one with a base included

Linesider82 04-07-2021 06:34 PM

How much room do you have to either side of the trolling motor? Could you do two independent surface mounted lights.

That pactrade light is good I have one on the tin boat I did 12 years ago. Still works like new.

wdmso 04-07-2021 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linesider82 (Post 1210315)
How much room do you have to either side of the trolling motor? Could you do two independent surface mounted lights.

That pactrade light is good I have one on the tin boat I did 12 years ago. Still works like new.

I have room was going to do rub rail lights may still but trying to keep it simple , I did find a super low profile led combo light that I might be able to mount it at the very edge of the bow , keeping it unobstructed,, fingers crossed

fish4striper 04-08-2021 03:54 PM

Don't know your setup but I had problems with my stock nav lights and wasn't able to fish the wires to the front so got this. It's pricey but very convenient to use and remove when not needed. They have different mounts for rails also.
google- NAVISAFE NAVILIGHT - TRICOLOR / MAGNETIC

wdmso 04-09-2021 04:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Install complete with the sliding mount I will be able to move the nav light forward with no obstruction , the only time it will be blocked partially is when the motor in the water .

Linesider82 04-09-2021 06:14 PM

Very nice

Guppy 04-09-2021 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1210338)
Install complete with the sliding mount I will be able to move the nav light forward with no obstruction , the only time it will be blocked partially is when the motor in the water .

Lookin good.....

JFigliuolo 04-12-2021 11:45 AM

You're going to want to get a bracket to hold the head of the motor when stowed. She'll bounce pretty good without one. Ram makes a good option. MK makes one also.

I like the Ram better https://www.hodgesmarine.com/ramrap-...CABEgKomPD_BwE

But used the MK since it comes with the 87" TM

wdmso 04-12-2021 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFigliuolo (Post 1210391)
You're going to want to get a bracket to hold the head of the motor when stowed. She'll bounce pretty good without one. Ram makes a good option. MK makes one also.

I like the Ram better https://www.hodgesmarine.com/ramrap-...CABEgKomPD_BwE

But used the MK since it comes with the 87" TM

I found a guy who makes them they clamp on to the shaft and swing down when you need it but I think it would still bounce I like the idea of the ram mount with 2 claw ends one to the hand rail other to the motor

Got Stripers 04-12-2021 04:54 PM

Spot lock on my trolling motor was the balls, eliminating anchor requirement under certain conditions and redoing tracks just changed the way you can fish. Almost like have a guide drive you around while you fish.

wdmso 04-19-2021 11:04 AM

Quick question can I move the the boat with my main engine, while the T motor is in the water? Not talking running and gun but just moving to a spot a bit faster than the T motor with out having to hauling it out everytime

Rockfish9 04-19-2021 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1210566)
Quick question can I move the the boat with my main engine, while the T motor is in the water? Not talking running and gun but just moving to a spot a bit faster than the T motor with out having to hauling it out everytime

I reset boat heading sometime while fishing the beach if I get too tight to a bar, using the big engine with the trolling motor down and running to avoid being thrown on the beach, you can maneuver a little with the big engine... but nailing the throttle will most likely leave you with a broken or bent shaft...or one in Davey jones locker. I know where there is a brand new( well it's a few years old now) Minn Kotta TM 55lb thrust salt water motor in 35 FOW...

JFigliuolo 04-19-2021 01:12 PM

Unless in a bind I always pull it

wdmso 04-19-2021 04:23 PM

That’s about what I was expecting . My biggest issue is getting used to it being on the boat

Rockfish9 04-19-2021 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1210574)
That’s about what I was expecting . My biggest issue is getting used to it being on the boat

I've been using trolling motor since 1974.. I'm not used to them yet..as posted earlier, I launched a brand new one off the back of the boat..I think about it more now because it's over a grand.if I launch the 24 volt.one I have now.

wdmso 04-20-2021 05:32 PM

Splashed the boat today played with the radar and the new FF. But I spent more time trying to figure out trolling motor and the remote. I one point I was looking over the bow to make sure it was deep enough and hit it to 10 and the shaft bent and I was like fkkk I just broke it 😅. But it will giddy up. Was trying to use spot lock feature need some time playing with it so I am over the structure I see on the FF