Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   TUNA & Big Game (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   wicked tuna.... (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=76620)

jasonsnova 03-19-2012 12:53 PM

wicked tuna....

anybody see the commercials for this new show on nat geo? looks based out of glouster . starts april 1st i belive. which means they must of been filming last summer. Anyone know anybody on the show? looks interesting. Altho i admit i know very little about tuna, i see them occationaly on the way out to cod fish. i alway debate getting a permit...
any thoughts?

niko 03-19-2012 04:51 PM

get a permit. never know when that cod jig will get snatched up by one. i'm looking forward to the show.

MakoMike 03-21-2012 09:38 AM

If you're cod jig gets snatched up by a tuna, odds are great that you'll never see the fish. :) If you want to fish for them, you'll need a lot more than cod gear.

beamie 03-21-2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakoMike (Post 928369)
If you're cod jig gets snatched up by a tuna, odds are great that you'll never see the fish. :) If you want to fish for them, you'll need a lot more than cod gear.

I disagree MM....when it comes to sbf tuna in the 47-59" range it can be easily done with decent cod gear. We had it happen twice one cod day, went 1 for 2 and that was because we strighten out a hook getting overzealous near the boat.

PRBuzz 03-22-2012 06:42 AM

The press release:

Reality TV comes to Gloucester for ‘Wicked Tuna’ - The Boston Globe

jasonsnova 03-22-2012 07:56 AM

I saw that show tuna wranglers last night....no wonder theres no tuna. They were catching them 200-300 at a time in australia and small ones. atleast they cant do that here in the us.

jasonsnova 03-22-2012 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakoMike (Post 928369)

i figure i have a 10% chance of bring in a sbf tuna.....if i have a man on the boat controls and a good man on the reel.....maybe lol. i saw tuna 4 times last year and wasnt really looking for them and i often see guys trolling around for them where we are cod fishing. just a thought.

Typhoon 03-22-2012 09:36 AM

I have mixed feeling about this.

This is such a highly contested/argued fishery, I feel like we're going to give enviros ammo. That and every person with a cod jig will now be parked on the whiting grounds hoping to make millions. Any tv show based on something you participate in, of course will intrigue you.

I buy scallops from a cape cod bay day scalloper. He said you wouldn't believe how many dead 60" fish he gets in his scallop tows from people fighting fish on spinning gear.

RIROCKHOUND 03-22-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Typhoon (Post 928537)
I buy scallops from a cape cod bay day scalloper. He said you wouldn't believe how many dead 60" fish he gets in his scallop tows from people fighting fish on spinning gear.

This is what makes me cringe everytime I see a 'released 10 BFT and broke off 4 more' every day from the fleet in NC right now and then again in the summer up here....

PRBuzz 03-22-2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

He said you wouldn't believe how many dead 60" fish he gets in his scallop tows from people fighting fish on spinning gear.

How does he know they were dead BEFORE getting into his tow?

RIROCKHOUND 03-22-2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRBuzz (Post 928540)
How does he know they were dead BEFORE getting into his tow?

probably because the odds of a live BFT getting into a scallop dredge is slim to none... they have to be directly laying on the bottom...

likwid 03-22-2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND (Post 928542)
probably because the odds of a live BFT getting into a scallop dredge is slim to none... they have to be directly laying on the bottom...

And to add to that, the opening on the dredge is facing DOWN.

buckman 03-22-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

He said you wouldn't believe how many dead 60" fish he gets in his scallop tows from people fighting fish on spinning gear.

Sorry Andrew.... I don't believe it

buckmanjr 03-22-2012 05:52 PM

Quote:

I have mixed feeling about this.

This is such a highly contested/argued fishery, I feel like we're going to give enviros ammo. That and every person with a cod jig will now be parked on the whiting grounds hoping to make millions. Any tv show based on something you participate in, of course will intrigue you.

:smash::rollem::rollem:

big jay 03-22-2012 06:56 PM

Which day scalloped? And feel free to pm me.
We've got a few in sandwich, and know them all - and NONE have dredged up a dead rat.
While I wonder about the survival rate as well, I'm very tempted to call BullSh@t.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Typhoon 03-23-2012 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckman (Post 928562)
Sorry Andrew.... I don't believe it

Don't kill the messenger.

Guy runs to George's too in his scallop boat for tuna fishing and is one of the whiting boats we all love. Had a great chat with him about the whiting fishery. You don't have to tow over someone's anchor.

He's a tuna guy. He understands the tuna fishery, he just happens to day scallop and drag for herring.

Van 03-23-2012 12:07 PM

Its one "reality" show I might actually watch..

Weymouth fisherman is on new TV series ?Wicked Tuna? - Quincy, MA - The Patriot Ledger

chathamblue30 03-23-2012 12:16 PM

Buckman should be on this show !!!!!

Typhoon 03-26-2012 01:45 PM

first episode

Video -- The Bite Is On -- National Geographic

nightfighter 03-26-2012 03:45 PM

OK. Was fun to watch here in March. But did they need to get whiny, backstabbing, liars in front of the cameras? Can't stand that crap in season nevermind see it on TV. No reason to give wrong numbers to someone on the radio and send them on a goosechase. I don't say much on a radio, but won't screw someone either. Just tell them I would rather not say. Closer to shore, I use a cell to communicate with "trusted" boats. Tunalessgreg is my most trusted locally , yet the Montauk in him has sent me to a desert once.... but not again as we have since "discussed" that incident. There is respect between us, to the point that I have never taken numbers of the many cod spots he has taken me to on his boat. Stuff that should be understood. The TV show makes it look like they're ALL idiots out on the banks, not just the ones we happen to know or hear on the radio. Too much of that crap taken to the extreme. Glad I have a handful of boats that I can trust and trade good intel with. They should have RR on next year's show. He'd fit in well.:rotf2:

Mr. Sandman 03-26-2012 05:11 PM

I will tune in but I doubt I hang around much...I hate the reality phase of TV these days, even if it is fishing related. It has caused me to just about halt TV watching except for on-demand movies and sports.

Typhoon is right. Don't send someone to never never land. That kind of crap really upsets me and gives a bad stereotypical rap to everyone who fishes in a boat. We are all not like that. Just keep you mouth shut on the radio if you don't want the fleet to come. for private conversations where you want to talk numbers....Cell phones work inshore, Sat phones offshore.

chathamblue30 03-26-2012 05:45 PM

Thanks for the link Andrew,am drooling over here now. Need a bigger boat :) Can a 23 seacraft make it to georges hahaha.

Raider Ronnie 03-26-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman (Post 929366)
I will tune in but I doubt I hang around much...I hate the reality phase of TV these days, even if it is fishing related. It has caused me to just about halt TV watching except for on-demand movies and sports.

Typhoon is right. Don't send someone to never never land. That kind of crap really upsets me and gives a bad stereotypical rap to everyone who fishes in a boat. We are all not like that. Just keep you mouth shut on the radio if you don't want the fleet to come. for private conversations where you want to talk numbers....Cell phones work inshore, Sat phones offshore.

Sorry but thats crap.
It's one thing to go fishing for fun & enjoyment but it's a whole different set of rules for guys who make their living doing it and don't have a day job to fall back on.
I have no problem with what Dave on Tuna.com does.

jasonsnova 03-26-2012 08:17 PM

thanks for the link...now i dont need to tevo it...lol. just makes me want a bigger boat lol!
is there that many boats on georges even at night? or were they actually inshore? the nite tuna that tuna.com caught there was lights off in the distance seemed like alot of lights for that far off shore.....

thefishingfreak 03-26-2012 08:34 PM

A lot of boats go to georges and a lot of boats come home empty handed.
I'll take my skunking 2 hours from the slip instead of 12 thank you
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Raven 03-27-2012 12:23 AM

Can't wait ... Soon

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c6...WICKEDTUNA.png

Rob Rockcrawler 03-27-2012 02:45 AM

Cant help but wonder if Grundens is a sponsor. Their bibs are all brand spankin new.

likwid 03-27-2012 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonsnova (Post 929411)
thanks for the link...now i dont need to tevo it...lol. just makes me want a bigger boat lol!
is there that many boats on georges even at night? or were they actually inshore? the nite tuna that tuna.com caught there was lights off in the distance seemed like alot of lights for that far off shore.....

Its dragger city out there.

Also about halfway to Monhegan from PTown is the same thing.

Typhoon 03-27-2012 06:15 AM

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/a...isherman72.jpg

RIROCKHOUND 03-27-2012 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Typhoon (Post 929464)

Looks like the west wall of Block Canyon on Labor Day weekend....