Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Beer & Beverage (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Dogfish Head Disappointment (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=73252)

luds 09-09-2011 09:49 PM

Dogfish Head Disappointment

I know it's still early in September but I've been asking my locals about Dogfish Punkin and they say I need to wait until the end of the month. From one spot I hear that it's the distributer that's creating the problem and from the next I hear that dogfish is impossible to deal with.

It's not just the Punkin Ale either. Fresh Market (Whole Foods like grocery) has stopped selling Dogfish, their more common brews seem out of stock or in short supply in other places, and the spots that I used to enjoy Dogfish on tap no longer have it.

Are we just sol with Dogfish in MA? I know you can find it but in general there has been a decline and given their success (Discover Channel Show) I would expect the varietyies of their beer to be pretty easy to find.

I should be able to have a Punkin with the Pats opener. You can't get it here but you can get it in Texas. :smash:

If the Punkin is available somewhere a heads up or PM would be very much welcome.

spence 09-09-2011 09:51 PM

Positive spin: there are so many great brews out there if DogFish can't get there you have many other options.

Drink something else and send them an email.

-spence

luds 09-09-2011 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 886148)
Positive spin: there are so many great brews out there if DogFish can't get there you have many other options.

Drink something else and send them an email.

-spence

Very true. Just have not been able to find another pumpkin beer that can hang with theirs.

I tried your Chimay Grand Reserve recently. Outside of my comfort zone but very interesting. I'm definitely an american craft brew IPA and Porter type of guy but I would probably do it again.

spence 09-09-2011 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luds (Post 886149)
Very true. Just have not been able to find another pumpkin beer that can hang with theirs.

I tried your Chimay Grand Reserve recently. Outside of my comfort zone but very interesting. I'm definitely an american craft brew IPA and Porter type of guy but I would probably do it again.

I think Shipyard does a good pumpkin brew in both normal and high ABV formats...

Chimay Grande Reserve is like the Mercedes S500 of beers. It may not be for everyone, or the right beer for every time, but it's the standard by which all beers should be judged.

This typed as I'm dinking a Trinity IPA...a great IPA.

-spence

JamesJet 09-10-2011 12:39 PM

Trinity is a great beer - but as for dogfish PA I totally agree it is one of the few I wait for every year. My wife is also a huge fan.

JohnR 09-10-2011 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 886152)
Chimay Grande Reserve is like the Mercedes S500 of beers. It may not be for everyone, or the right beer for every time, but it's the standard by which all beers should be judged.

Likely places to find?

spence 09-10-2011 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnR (Post 886278)
Likely places to find?

It's widely available, most decent liquor stores should have it. I'd think the place just north of the airport has it, their beer selection is pretty good.

There are three Chimay's...the Grande Reserve has the blue cap.

Just make sure you pour into a wide mouth glass (like a chalice) and give it a good head. Trappist ales are usually highly carbonated, their glasses have a raised stamp (since you're a g33k a nucleation site :hihi:) at the bottom to encourage formation of bubbles.

If you take to drinking them often it's worth grabbing one of the gift packages that has a glass or two to have them on hand.

-spence

luds 09-10-2011 01:57 PM

They actually sell the Grand Reserve at Stop & Shop up here in Quincy.

John,
The price tag is also fine at around 13 bucks for a pint and a half.

JohnR 09-10-2011 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 886284)
It's widely available, most decent liquor stores should have it. I'd think the place just north of the airport has it, their beer selection is pretty good.

There are three Chimay's...the Grande Reserve has the blue cap.

Just make sure you pour into a wide mouth glass (like a chalice) and give it a good head. Trappist ales are usually highly carbonated, their glasses have a raised stamp (since you're a g33k a nucleation site :hihi:) at the bottom to encourage formation of bubbles.

If you take to drinking them often it's worth grabbing one of the gift packages that has a glass or two to have them on hand.

-spence

Quote:

Originally Posted by luds (Post 886295)
They actually sell the Grand Reserve at Stop & Shop up here in Quincy.

John,
The price tag is also fine at around 13 bucks for a pint and a half.

Thank you both - I'm going to give that a shot. While my most glorious beer days are behind me I do want to pick around a good brew from time to time (IOW, I'm perfectly complacent with a good Bass or Sam). Ahh, I love this forum :cheers:

flyvice11787 09-10-2011 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luds (Post 886144)
I know it's still early in September but I've been asking my locals about Dogfish Punkin and they say I need to wait until the end of the month. From one spot I hear that it's the distributer that's creating the problem and from the next I hear that dogfish is impossible to deal with.

It's not just the Punkin Ale either. Fresh Market (Whole Foods like grocery) has stopped selling Dogfish, their more common brews seem out of stock or in short supply in other places, and the spots that I used to enjoy Dogfish on tap no longer have it.

Are we just sol with Dogfish in MA? I know you can find it but in general there has been a decline and given their success (Discover Channel Show) I would expect the varietyies of their beer to be pretty easy to find.

I should be able to have a Punkin with the Pats opener. You can't get it here but you can get it in Texas. :smash:

If the Punkin is available somewhere a heads up or PM would be very much welcome.

I believe there's a real shortage this year. Shortage of pumpkin carried over from last year (try finding a can of pumpkin pie filling in the supermarket) and possibly smaller volume by DFH. One local beer distributor by me who specializes in micros was allocated 1 case by the company that handles DFH.

Not sure if you've tried it, but you might like the Southern Tier Pumpking. It comes in a 22oz. bottle, with an 8.6% ABV. It's a little too sweet for my taste, but you might like it.

luds 09-11-2011 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyvice11787 (Post 886328)
I believe there's a real shortage this year. Shortage of pumpkin carried over from last year (try finding a can of pumpkin pie filling in the supermarket) and possibly smaller volume by DFH. One local beer distributor by me who specializes in micros was allocated 1 case by the company that handles DFH.

Not sure if you've tried it, but you might like the Southern Tier Pumpking. It comes in a 22oz. bottle, with an 8.6% ABV. It's a little too sweet for my taste, but you might like it.

Thanks. I'll try it. I do like alot of Southern Tier's offering.

I also like Shipyard's smashed Pumpkin but Punkin is still the best. Hopefully it will be regularly available come October.

Jenn 09-11-2011 02:33 PM

Been messin up the UFO Pumpkins pretty good.....but still searching and waiting for my beloved DF Punkin

luds 09-11-2011 02:44 PM

:uhuh:

The Dad Fisherman 09-11-2011 08:11 PM

I'll second (or Third) the shipyard pumpkin....post road makes a good pumpkin ale too..

spence 09-11-2011 08:58 PM

The regular Shipyard pumpkin I had tonight was terrible. The Smashed Shipyard was excellent. Go figure...
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

The Dad Fisherman 09-12-2011 07:14 AM

Don't know where you got terrible from....unless you got a bad beer...I enjoyed it and its one of my wife's favorite pumkin brews.

depends on what you like in a beer....the "regular" pumpkin from Shipyard....pumpkinhead....is a lighter beer...sitting at about 5 % alcohol...same as the post road pumpkin.....it is also a Wheat beer....which I like....so if you don't like wheat beers then you probably won't like this

the Smashed Pumpkin is heavier with a higher alcohol content....also a good beer....it has wheat in it but also has barley so it taste more malty than the Pumpkinhead....just depends what you like or what you are in the mood for.

luds 09-12-2011 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman (Post 886550)
depends on what you like in a beer....

....just depends what you like or what you are in the mood for.

Yup. All my friends that typically drink lighter beers rave about it. I don't care for it myself for the most part but do have one on occasion. The flavor tastes a little artificial to me.

Oh, Definitely hold the cinnamon and sugar.

The Dad Fisherman 09-12-2011 11:50 AM

it does come through heavy on the spices...but I think that is because its a wheat beer.....wheat beers tend to be very light and allow more of the other flavors through.

Thats why they are a popular choice for the basis of a lot of fruit beers. Lets the fruit come through as the dominant flavor

MrHunters 09-14-2011 12:28 PM

we have a term when drinking chimay.
alot of places give you the chimay glass when you buy a bottle

http://info-100km.web.cern.ch/info-1...deReserve1.jpg

When you are done.. you are chimayed :)

I love.....LOVE..... that choice.

nothing to do with punkin though.
I would like to try it, I've never had it but feel your pain with the lack of DFH... All i seem to be able to get is the 60 minute for the most part.

luds 09-14-2011 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrHunters (Post 887070)
nothing to do with punkin though.
I would like to try it, I've never had it but feel your pain with the lack of DFH... All i seem to be able to get is the 60 minute for the most part.

So I cracked my case the other night and had a Punkin. It was awsome but it's a little too earlier for it. Air needs to be a little crisper so I'm going to save it. :soon:

The Dad Fisherman 09-14-2011 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luds (Post 887072)
Air needs to be a little crisper so I'm going to save it. :soon:

I'll hold onto it for you....for safe keeping of course......:hee:

Jenn 09-14-2011 08:44 PM

Had a real crappy day today....stopped by the packy tonite to see if my beloved had yet arrived. Scooped up a case without hesitation and went straight to the checkout counter. Wanted to by the second case but didnt want to be "that person" that wiped out every last bottle the place had :smash:

Clogston29 09-15-2011 08:01 PM

stacks of it up my way. Not my thing.

flyvice11787 09-15-2011 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clogston29 (Post 887375)
stacks of it up my way. Not my thing.

I think Luds would appreciate a spot burn :D.

Clogston29 09-15-2011 08:51 PM

he knows where to find me, its just a long drive.

luds 09-15-2011 09:22 PM

I got a case last week pretty much immediately after posting this. I'm a happy boy.

Josh,
Even if you're not down with the pumpkin everything craze it's worth a try.

american spirit 10-06-2011 07:12 PM

tried the dogfish punkn ale this week. was hoping for something better.

luds 10-06-2011 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by american spirit (Post 891270)
tried the dogfish punkn ale this week. was hoping for something better.

you're lost Bush man.

MrHunters 10-09-2011 07:15 PM

just got it... first time..
new favorite "punkin head"

Not too sweet so you can drink more than one.
Damn good... damn goood.

flyvice11787 10-17-2011 05:55 PM

My bar just put up DFH Pangea. Drinking the second one and still deciding if I like it or not.