Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   The Scuppers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Cumberland Farms Smart Pay App (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=81725)

WESTPORTMAFIA 04-01-2013 11:55 AM

Cumberland Farms Smart Pay App

Anyone else have it? It's pretty cool and simple to set up.

chefchris401 04-01-2013 11:57 AM

yup i have it, super easy and saves .10 a gallon, only downside is you need $100 in the paypal account.

it puts a $100 hold on it, takes a day to clear, but ive had it take 5 days

fishbones 04-01-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WESTPORTMAFIA (Post 992360)
Anyone else have it? It's pretty cool and simple to set up.

Is it something you use with your EBT card when you go to buy pineapple soda and cigarettes?

PRBuzz 04-01-2013 12:10 PM

If used with PayPal only saves $0.05/gal. The newest version saves $0.10/gal via direct deductions from your checking account like a debit card transaction.

The $100 hold on PayPal is just a formality, not big deal. You do not need $100 in your paypal account!

zacs 04-01-2013 12:17 PM

how does it work?

WESTPORTMAFIA 04-01-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chefchris401 (Post 992361)
yup i have it, super easy and saves .10 a gallon, only downside is you need $100 in the paypal account.

it puts a $100 hold on it, takes a day to clear, but ive had it take 5 days

If you update the app you can link it to debit or credit

WESTPORTMAFIA 04-01-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zacs (Post 992366)
how does it work?

You can use it to make store purchases or use it to pay or your gas at the pump. It saves you 10 cents a gallon at the pump. You link it to your credit or debit card. It also tracks your gas savings

GregW 04-01-2013 01:09 PM

I remember two years ago when many people had their debit cards compromised, it was all but certainly from Cumberland farms by the canal. It had me without a debit card for about a week while the bank sorted it out. Not really worth the hassle or risk, when you consider you can make just as much if not more using a Amex charge card with the right rewards structure.

WESTPORTMAFIA 04-01-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregW (Post 992374)
I remember two years ago when many people had their debit cards compromised, it was all but certainly from Cumberland farms by the canal. It had me without a debit card for about a week while the bank sorted it out. Not really worth the hassle or risk, when you consider you can make just as much if not more using a Amex charge card with the right rewards structure.

It's not something that happens to just Cumberland farms. I had my card compromised a couple different times from local places in Westport. It didn't stop me from re-visiting them. Also with the way it works you are probably in more in jeopardy getting your Amex compromised by swiping it at the pump. They put readers in the swiper so if your not swiping a card they cant steal the cards info. You type your pin on your phone and not the gas pumps key pad.

GregW 04-01-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WESTPORTMAFIA (Post 992376)
It's not something that happens to just Cumberland farms. I had my card compromised a couple different times from local places in Westport. It didn't stop me from re-visiting them. Also with the way it works you are probably in more in jeopardy getting your Amex compromised by swiping it at the pump. They put readers in the swiper so if your not swiping a card they cant steal the cards info. You type your pin on your phone and not the gas pumps key pad.

I am just leary about anything like that being directly linked into my bank account. If a CC gets compromised (which I am sure it will someday), I call and cancel the card and they sort out the mess. 2 years ago when it was a debit card linked into my bank account it was a huge mess and I was without access to my debit card or funds while I waited for them to reimburse me.
Now if i could link the smart pay to a CC, that I would do.

WESTPORTMAFIA 04-01-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregW (Post 992380)
I am just leary about anything like that being directly linked into my bank account. If a CC gets compromised (which I am sure it will someday), I call and cancel the card and they sort out the mess. 2 years ago when it was a debit card linked into my bank account it was a huge mess and I was without access to my debit card or funds while I waited for them to reimburse me.
Now if i could link the smart pay to a CC, that I would do.

You can link a CC. Link your Amex and double dip

PRBuzz 04-01-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WESTPORTMAFIA (Post 992385)
You can link a CC. Link your Amex and double dip

I couldn't! If you do only the smartphone ap you must link directly to a bank account! You might be able if you get a SmartPay card and link that to your smartphone ap?

Slingah 04-01-2013 02:36 PM

I wish I had a C.F. more local and I'd do it, still might. I try and fill up there and then get a coffee, hot or iced, any size for a buck! And it's good....can't beat that deal!

WESTPORTMAFIA 04-01-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRBuzz (Post 992389)
I couldn't! If you do only the smartphone ap you must link directly to a bank account! You might be able if you get a SmartPay card and link that to your smartphone ap?

Not sure. I thought it gave me the option. Maybe not

Matt D 04-01-2013 04:41 PM

I think the main reason they're giving you a .10 a gallon break is they're saving the credit card fees by directly linking to your bank account. I'd be surprised if they let you link to a credit card instead.

I get 3% back on fuel with my Chase Rewards card so I use that.

PRBuzz 04-01-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 992415)
I think the main reason they're giving you a .10 a gallon break is they're saving the credit card fees by directly linking to your bank account. I'd be surprised if they let you link to a credit card instead.

I get 3% back on fuel with my Chase Rewards card so I use that.

At current price of gas, 3% rewards and $0.10/gal back it is all a wash!

striperman36 04-01-2013 05:08 PM

Wish they had a diesel pump

WESTPORTMAFIA 04-01-2013 06:38 PM

So use the app and change your credit card rewards system to something other than gas. No?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Sea Dangles 04-01-2013 08:28 PM

costco amex is 4% cash back on fuel.

WESTPORTMAFIA 04-01-2013 09:26 PM

Better off using the Amex for flyer miles or hotels instead of gas with a 1% spread. Also it only makes sense with an Amex that has a payment due in full every month that equals the full balance. Not all Amex accounts are due in full payment once due and the interest rates are a lot higher than 3%

Matt D 04-02-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRBuzz (Post 992418)
At current price of gas, 3% rewards and $0.10/gal back it is all a wash!

True, but to get their .10 a gal. back I have to take the risk of getting MY bank account drained if the info falls into the wrong hands. With a credit card you get to contest the bogus charges before paying them.

trevier 04-02-2013 11:28 AM

I paid 3.41 a gallon for regular this morning.

Swimmer 04-03-2013 08:37 AM

I downloaded the app, and didn't realize that the dime off a gallon had to do with giving up your checking acc. info. No way, I'll pay the extra dime