Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   What I've been doing in my spare time.. (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=30699)

Labrador1 04-12-2006 09:05 PM

What I've been doing in my spare time..

1 Attachment(s)
Quite some time agao I was testing plugs/fishing with a couple friends. One of them had a custom Danny that left an incredible wake and sat very high in the water. Ever since then I've been messing with different sizes and shapes within "my line" of plugs so to speak - in an effort to make a big surface swimmer that would make me smile. I had more fun with this plug than any plug in a long time. I've gone through different sizes, shapes, hook sizes, two belly hooks, one belly hook, various lips, different wood - you name it and I've got one or two or three laying around. My shop looks like a prototype mass suicide! I finally feel really good about what I've got. I truly love what I call the "micrometer stage." That is when I go to the water repeatedly with a bunch of plugs that are practically the same - but each one has a subtle difference in weighting, lip, hooks etc. I don't do new designs as much as some of you guys - but thought I'd post of pic of what I have been working on.

Included in the pic is my 1oz Peanut and 2oz Swimmer - for size comparison.

Ryan

justplugit 04-12-2006 09:20 PM

Awesome Lab 1 :kewl: You should call him "Smiley" :hihi: :D

jim sylvester 04-12-2006 10:14 PM

nice work ryan...

now send some over ... you know what colors

:happy:

Kadywampus 04-12-2006 10:20 PM

Those look great .
I think you should send me the ones that were not quite right for further testing . :laugha:

SurfKing 04-12-2006 10:30 PM

I would like one also.:bounce:

Skitterpop 04-12-2006 10:35 PM

So tell us more please Mr. Smith.

You say the plug you were trying to emulate was a Danny style but that is a round nose swimmer correct? But you have achieved a similar action with your big swimmer style?

Gary2`s Slims swim with a killer slow waggle on top when controlled at the right speed.

Love to see this new one in action :boots: When you coming to the Cape or is it not till RI in the Fall this year?

Best,
Mike

Labrador1 04-12-2006 10:49 PM

I don't mean to imply that it is a Danny action - only inspired by a Danny that swam high in the water - and frankly- swam in a somewhat undannylike manner. But ever since I saw that plug swim - I was looking for something with a similar surface presence.

Mike - I'm not sure where I'll be when - but I will be on Cape and/or MV in the spring - then Maine, RI and Cape in the fall.

Skitterpop 04-12-2006 11:07 PM

Ok my reading comprehension is dim at times or AADD or late night meds :rolleyes:

It is a lovely plug by the way...what does it weigh?

Might have to tack one on to the Mackerel bill.

Keep up the great work in your indoor and outdoor Lab-oratories.

NIB 04-13-2006 06:13 AM

Ur LAB-ratorym sounds like my workshop.
Nice they look like ur other models..
Maybe alittle fatter.

libassboy 04-13-2006 08:16 AM

Looks good Mr. Smith! :drool:

Labrador1 04-13-2006 11:41 AM

Plug weighs aprox 2.7 ounces. NIB - it does look like my other plugs - I guess I've got a theme going.

PI guy 04-13-2006 05:23 PM

Nice family picture!

NIB 04-13-2006 05:59 PM

Open a Lab theme park
I like the daddy bear.:D
That plugs gotta be 6.5 inches
Make one that swims good with 2 belly hooks.get rid of the tail hook just bucktail.
2.7 oz.'s is getting closer to NIB country.
Its where the flavor is.

"uffah!!" 04-13-2006 07:55 PM

Looks like you spare time is getting lesser and lesser and lesser. I love the eyes on those things, there beautiful!!! Nice job!!!

Slipknot 04-14-2006 07:44 PM

:drool:
:cheers: :kewl:

SWEET!