Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Political Threads (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Health insurance (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=59258)

spence 12-11-2009 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottw (Post 730023)
JD's record is broken...

look at it this way, if we hadn't gone into Iraq..Barak Hasan Obama could bitch in all of his speeches that Bush ignored the threat that Saddam posed for the last 8 years and now he has to deal with it rather than fixing the economy....I'm sure that UN sanctions would have been just as effective as removing Saddam, they are working just swimmingly with Iran:rotf2:

Iran hasn't really seen very harsh UN sanctions yet. Bush's complete lack of (disdain for really) diplomacy is still being felt.

Interesting to think that we were actually working together in Afghanistan after 9/11 before the "Axis of Evil" speech.

-spence

buckman 12-11-2009 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 730022)
George W. Bush.

-spence

Show me where he said that was the REASON we went in!:confused:

buckman 12-11-2009 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 730029)
Iran hasn't really seen very harsh UN sanctions yet. Bush's complete lack of (disdain for really) diplomacy is still being felt.

Interesting to think that we were actually working together in Afghanistan after 9/11 before the "Axis of Evil" speech.

-spence

Diplomacy in regards to Iran is only helping Iran create the time it needs to have a WMD. It's not working Spence, understand? Why don't we have tougher sanctions in place?
Hell Obama's done so much in his first year. I believe on all fronts, including home we were better off with Bush. Show me where I'm wrong.

JohnnyD 12-11-2009 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckman (Post 730067)
Diplomacy in regards to Iran is only helping Iran create the time it needs to have a WMD. It's not working Spence, understand? Why don't we have tougher sanctions in place?
Hell Obama's done so much in his first year. I believe on all fronts, including home we were better off with Bush. Show me where I'm wrong.

Why exactly is any of the above America's responsibility to fix? Iran having the bomb is significantly less dangerous than N. Korea having the bomb. It's, literally, not our problem. Iran having the bomb is probably less of a risk to the US than Pakistan - at least Iran has a legitimate.

Why don't we have tougher sanctions?
You tell me. Bush had since his declaration in 2002 of Iran being part of the Axis of Evil to get sanctions in place.

buckman 12-11-2009 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyD (Post 730102)

Why don't we have tougher sanctions?
You tell me. Bush had since his declaration in 2002 of Iran being part of the Axis of Evil to get sanctions in place.

Bush was working on his Nobel Peace prize:rotf2:

scottw 12-11-2009 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyD (Post 730102)
Bush had since his declaration in 2002 of Iran being part of the Axis of Evil to get sanctions in place.

so it was up to Bush to get UN sanctions in place???? was Bush blocking any proposed UN sanctions against Iran? maybe just the "really harsh" ones :rotf2:

spence 12-11-2009 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckman (Post 730067)

What gave Iran the time to develop their nuke program was precisely a complete lack of diplomacy. Bush did his best to ignore Iran as he was occupied with Iraq. The inside scoop is even that Iran was so terrified of a US invasion after we bounced Saddam that they tried to reach out to us to get a dialogue going, but the Bush Admin would have none of it.

Now, many of the other global players have even deeper interests in Iran. Obama has inherited a very difficult situation, but it seems like he is pulling a unified front together with a real deadline looming very soon...if it's not too late.

-spence

JohnnyD 12-11-2009 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottw (Post 730152)
so it was up to Bush to get UN sanctions in place???? was Bush blocking any proposed UN sanctions against Iran? maybe just the "really harsh" ones :rotf2:

Nope. But buckman's inferring that it is our President's job to get sanctions in place.

Bush and Blair couldn't get it done for the same reason Obama and Gordon Brown haven't be able to - the Chinese and Russians have too many financial interests in Iran and will veto proposed sanctions. Strong enough support from other members in the Security Council (and UN as a whole)needs to exist and they must step up and put pressure on the Chinese and Russians.

spence 12-11-2009 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyD (Post 730166)
Nope. But buckman's inferring that it is our President's job to get sanctions in place.

Bush and Blair couldn't get it done for the same reason Obama and Gordon Brown haven't be able to - the Chinese and Russians have too many financial interests in Iran and will veto proposed sanctions. Strong enough support from other members in the Security Council (and UN as a whole)needs to exist and they must step up and put pressure on the Chinese and Russians.

Don't worry JD, Bush looked into Putin's soul and he's a trusty fellow who I'm sure we share much common ground with.

Not sure what he saw when he looked at the Chinese people.

-spence

buckman 12-11-2009 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 730163)
What gave Iran the time to develop their nuke program was precisely a complete lack of diplomacy. Bush did his best to ignore Iran as he was occupied with Iraq. The inside scoop is even that Iran was so terrified of a US invasion after we bounced Saddam that they tried to reach out to us to get a dialogue going, but the Bush Admin would have none of it.

Now, many of the other global players have even deeper interests in Iran. Obama has inherited a very difficult situation, but it seems like he is pulling a unified front together with a real deadline looming very soon...if it's not too late.

-spence

Maybe you could give us " the inside scoop" as to what the looming deadline will entail.

spence 12-13-2009 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckman (Post 730190)
Maybe you could give us " the inside scoop" as to what the looming deadline will entail.

This is very interesting...

Obama Prepares to Get Tough on Iran | Newsweek Politics | Newsweek.com

-spence

justplugit 12-13-2009 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& (Post 731063)
Too good not to post :rotf2:

LMAO, Salty, just choked on my sandwich. :hihi:

Funnie, but true. :(

justplugit 12-13-2009 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 731103)

Spence, not to take away from your HC thread,
but it's taken Obama close to a a year for him to figure out "an outstretched hand to Iran
will not on it's own produce the results he needs."??????

Flash- with crazies, you deal from strenght first,
THEN you offer "an outstrectched hand to get the results you need."

JohnnyD 12-13-2009 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justplugit (Post 731247)

Dealing from strength first (IE. the Bush method) proved to be quite effective with Iran and North Korea. The proof is in today's news:
North Korean plane carrying smuggled arms seized in Thailand | World news | guardian.co.uk
Iran 'ready to swap uranium for fuel' - CNN.com

spence 12-13-2009 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justplugit (Post 731247)
Spence, not to take away from your HC thread,
but it's taken Obama close to a a year for him to figure out "an outstretched hand to Iran
will not on it's own produce the results he needs."??????

Did you read the linked article?

One key point was that Obama's failed effort to pursue a peaceful diplomatic solution has earned him the chits necessary to get Russia and China to potentially play ball.

Or put more simply, he's done his diligence...

Bush had no patience nor respect for International laws, and the result was 8 years of complete inaction. Yet, you're fretting over 9 months where it looks (on paper at least) like we're making some progress?

This isn't a situation where we can just sock a bully (or a crazy) in the mouth. I think they might be on to something here...

-spence

buckman 12-13-2009 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 731103)

Yes it is.

buckman 12-13-2009 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 731291)

One key point was that Obama's failed effort to pursue a peaceful diplomatic solution has earned him the chits necessary to get Russia and China to potentially play ball.

Bush had no patience nor respect for International laws, and the result was 8 years of complete inaction. Yet, you're fretting over 9 months where it looks (on paper at least) like we're making some progress?

This isn't a situation where we can just sock a bully (or a crazy) in the mouth. I think they might be on to something here...

-spence

He's retained Bush's man do do the job Bush warned needed to be done years ago. This, IOM is a good thing.

justplugit 12-14-2009 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 731291)

Yet, you're fretting over 9 months where it looks (on paper at least) like we're making some progress?

-spence

Yes I read the article, that's where the quote came from.

I like the word potentially when used about China and Russia getting on board.
We haven't even been able to get our Allie?, Italy to stop selling helicopters to Iran.

It's 11 months now not 9. Another month and he owns it all.

Your right, but you can say what you mean and mean what you say
showing you are coming from a source of power, not bowing down and
making nice.

Tough situation all around with no simple answers, for sure,
but you can't reason with an unreasonable man.

spence 12-14-2009 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justplugit (Post 731911)
Tough situation all around with no simple answers, for sure,
but you can't reason with an unreasonable man.

One man doesn't run Iran.

-spence

justplugit 12-14-2009 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 731914)

-spence

Well let me change that, you can't reason with unreasonable men. :)

JohnnyD 12-14-2009 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 731914)

-spence

Well kind of, but it's not Ahmadinejad. It's mostly Ayatollah Khamenei.

justplugit 12-15-2009 03:52 PM

Back to HC. Just got back from my opthamologist who now requires
photo ID along with the proof of insurance because of a new Big Brother requirement called Red Tag or Red Flag?
If you haven't heard of it yet, you will, as according to him it will be required for
all business where billing is done.
Another way of tracking and getting personal info.

Home of the SEE and the Brave. :(

RIROCKHOUND 12-15-2009 04:16 PM

Sooo... it's an issue that they want to make sure the patient they are seeing is the actual patient?

Yeah, what a hassle

spence 12-15-2009 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND (Post 732124)
Sooo... it's an issue that they want to make sure the patient they are seeing is the actual patient?

Yeah, what a hassle

Sounds like a measure to combat fraud.

-spence

justplugit 12-15-2009 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND (Post 732124)

Yeah, what a hassle

Not for me RRH, i'm on Medicare they have my medical records.

It's the guys that have private insurance where now their records are open
through the back door by another government agency, and the
businesses who bill others having the extra hassel and expense of keeping
even more records.

justplugit 12-19-2009 06:07 PM

Looks like Nelson sold out.
Earmarks, earmarks and more earmarks.
Wasn't it Obama who promised no bill with earmarks would pass his desk?
How do these guys live with themselves?

The final vote scheduled 1:30 in the morning when we can't look these guys in
the eye when they say aye. Just that alone is enough for me to know
they are trying to pull a fast one on the American public.

Like my Dad used to say about my 12:00 AM curfew as a teenager,
"Nothing good can happen after 12 AM."
I knew he was right then, and nothing has changed since.

If this were a good bill they would be shouting about it from the roof tops.

buckman 12-19-2009 08:06 PM

It's going to get done.. How's that whole transparency thing working for ya?
You don't have to play by the rules (even when you set them yourself) if no one holds you accountable.

Joe 12-20-2009 07:35 AM

Watch out. Obama's a checklist kind of guy. While everyone is criticizing the last initiative, he's on to the next.

justplugit 12-21-2009 12:36 PM

I heard Steve Forbes interviewed on the radio this morning.

He agrees HC competition should be opened across state lines.

His personal policy in NJ is costing him $15,000, a plan with the
same benefits from Pa. would cost him $7,000.

What a waste this humongous HC Bill is. :(

buckman 12-22-2009 09:43 AM

Appears the pharmaceutical companies got a sweet deal....hey, wasn't that emergency appointment to Kennedy's seat a pharmaceutical lobbiest?
Wow, I mean WOW, that's a weird coincidence.

Thank you DEMS!!! And you managed to screw the seniors too.