Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   DIY - Forum (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   More stairwork (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=90781)

Rmarsh 06-29-2016 05:56 AM

More stairwork

Mitered stringers...getting the math correct is key .

Guppy 06-29-2016 04:08 PM

No way that meets code, I'm calling the state, you're in deep doo doo now buddy......

Nice job Bob 😜😜😜👍

Rmarsh 07-02-2016 07:54 AM

Thanks Guppy......I will put up the post and railing next. I'm afraid someday I will be the one to take a tumble while working on these open stairs with balcony....

I must have immunity:angel:
Never any problems passing building code inspection. Lost track of how many i have done but its a lot.

trevier 07-06-2016 02:37 PM

one tight stairway,nice work.

Rmarsh 07-07-2016 05:23 AM

Thanks Trev. Newel posts and railing installed....just the balconies to finish.

I have another kitchen to finish installing next.

Slipknot 07-07-2016 09:09 AM

Nice!

Omega cabinets?

Rmarsh 07-08-2016 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slipknot (Post 1103862)
Nice!

Omega cabinets?

Cabinet brand is Showplace.....They are very nice.
Good cabinets have finished ends only where they will be exposed.
Custom sizes are no problem.

blondterror 07-08-2016 07:09 AM

Slip- we used Omega cabinets on the kitchen room where you did the amazing wall unit... so far they have held up great although some of the self closing hinges are not working quite as well as they did when new.

Nice looking stairs Bob.... One of these days I need to refinish my main red oak stairs... and replace one tread that cracked when I had to temporaily remove the newel post to get a mattress up stairs

Rmarsh 07-09-2016 06:10 AM

Only thing left to do is fill in the winder treads with flooring.
There is another stairway and all the material waiting for me at a house back at the park.
My hands ache badly at the end of the day from carpel tunnel and arthritis. Too many years (43) of daily use and abuse gripping grasping and pounding. Good news is that I still have all of my digits..... so far anyway. I wonder how many cuts I made at the saw in this one stairway alone.

Rmarsh 07-24-2016 07:11 AM

Another house ....more stairs and cabinets.
I am hoping for a little bit of a break before the next house is ready. Bonito and Albies should be arriving in the next couple of weeks and I want to be able to get some time off!

Rmarsh 07-24-2016 07:17 AM

I get pissed when I come in to work and see crap work like this.
They (plumbers) were given toilet specs for water supply locations.
It seems they screw something up on every single job.
I don't do the hiring or firing....if I did they would be long gone.

Slipknot 07-24-2016 08:57 AM

nice
that modification of the trim on that toilet supply looks classy:fishslap:

Rmarsh 07-24-2016 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slipknot (Post 1104892)
nice
that modification of the trim on that toilet supply looks classy:fishslap:

Can you believe they actually did that? It is going to be redone obviously. Just imagine all the stuff you don't see. I have a file folder full of pictures as examples. They neglected to rough gas line so first pic is their elegant solution. Next pic just explains how much pride they take in their work:yak4:

Slipknot 07-24-2016 12:04 PM

the stories we could tell

I'm 55 and thought I've seen it all, but there are so many drones out there going thru the motions who don't care or don't have pride in their work or don't know any better, that it is mind boggling. And you are right about what you can't see that is hidden, it is scary and why I want to build my own house and barn, but the costs are insane.

Rmarsh 07-24-2016 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slipknot (Post 1104898)
the stories we could tell

I'm 55 and thought I've seen it all, but there are so many drones out there going thru the motions who don't care or don't have pride in their work or don't know any better, that it is mind boggling. And you are right about what you can't see that is hidden, it is scary and why I want to build my own house and barn, but the costs are insane.

Yes costs are high but.....it never really gets cheaper either.
I built a starter cape (no finish upstairs) but with a full dormer for future expansion.....finished upstairs a few years later...then added a family room and garage eventually.

Here's a picture from 1977... I was only 21 years old, but had been learning the trade for a few years at that point ...roofing completed only 15 days after I started framing it....wish I had that much energy again.

Guppy 07-24-2016 02:56 PM

That plumber would still be looking for a check....:hs:

Rmarsh 07-24-2016 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guppy (Post 1104907)
That plumber would still be looking for a check....:hs:

Guppy...Yeah their work sucks....I've told my boss how I feel....now it's his call. I see a lot of stuff going on that I think sucks...I do try to intervene on occasion...but you can't fix stupid.:wall:

Rmarsh 07-29-2016 05:15 AM

Almost done with this one.

Rmarsh 08-13-2016 10:12 AM

Another house cleaned up and ready for closing. It is actually a one floor house....the window dormers on the front are open through to the cathedral ceiling below.

Rmarsh 08-13-2016 10:15 AM

Master bath

Rmarsh 08-20-2016 05:40 AM

Finishing up another house. After all the debris and dust is removed they look pretty good. Closing on three houses this week...$$$!!. My company has instituted profit sharing, which is a great incentive to get these jobs done.

albythereforyou 09-07-2016 09:53 AM

Geez no wonder why your boat turned out so beautiful! Great work on everything!

I like the last kitchen with the cabinets that go all the way to the ceiling. I don't know why it drives me nuts when I see a $$$$ kitchen that has cabinets that stop 2" from the ceiling... but it does!

my Dad was a GC, building custom homes in westchester NY. At the time it was the worst job ever working for him, so much labor and hard work. now that I'm older I realized how much that taught me, how glad I am now to have all that knowledge.

Your work shows years of craftsmanship! looking f'ing awesome!

Rmarsh 09-07-2016 02:47 PM

Thanks alby....Its funny how you describe working for your dad the GC..and how hard it was.
I remember how physicaly demanding it was for me a scrawny teen helping to frame houses back then...carrying all that lumber ,roofing, sheetrock etc. and the older guys and boss had no mercy anybody new or younger. You had to earn their respect by showing them you could take the workload and all the ball busting too!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Rmarsh 09-29-2016 06:05 AM

Finishing up another stairway. This one will have a round starting step and a handrail that ends with a volute.

Rmarsh 09-30-2016 06:15 AM

Preparing the volute and newel post. There is a lot to getting the post height and rake angle correct. It is satisfying when all the calculations and layout work come together. The starting newel has a 1 1/2" dowel that extends down through the tread and riser to the floor. There are different ways to fasten it. This time I will lag bolt into the bottom of the newel post dowel from the basement.

trevier 10-01-2016 08:37 AM

nice work as always. I'm finishing up a 28 wide by 30 ft deep garage. I've done 99% percent of the work myself. Had 2 guys come in and help me with the trusses and plywood on the roof, the rest I've done myself.

Hookedagain 10-01-2016 07:56 PM

Doing the rail work was my favorite part of working in a stair shop. We did all types of work but rails were the best. I especially enjoyed doing the wreath on a curved stair. It the same as a volute but it is entirely curved and starts climbing as soon as it starts turning. Stairs are an art, beautiful work Rmarsh

Rmarsh 10-04-2016 05:44 AM

Thanks Hooked
Coffman stair parts sells an accending volute that starts climbing right in the turn, it allows for a lower newel post height.

Rmarsh 10-04-2016 06:07 AM

.... after you mentioned wreath railings...I found these videos that help explain the concept in a way I could understand.

https://youtu.be/DgyEXWhamXY
https://youtu.be/hQ5vSszuRTw

Rmarsh 10-11-2016 06:04 AM

Coffered ceiling and fireplace mantel. Kitchen cabinets are next.