Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   StriperTalk! (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Any interest in an "It's Over" Contest? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=95777)

tlapinski 11-07-2019 08:12 AM

Any interest in an "It's Over" Contest?

I think it has been a few years since we had one of these, any interest in reviving it? Below are the rules from the last go-round I could find back in 2014. Entries are based on length, if there's interest I'll dig through my stash and come up with some plug prizes. Also open to suggestions on additional or alternate categories. Photo proof of catch is optional as there is no need to inflict undue stress on the fish if you don't want to, just try for an accurate measurement and I/we will take your word for it.

Quote:

The in honor of BackBeach, the "Its Over!!!!" contest!

Here' s how to play...

1. Fish must be shore caught striped bass.

2. Mass/RI/CT/ME/NH waters only.

3. Provide sufficient proof of your catch, photo preferred...no need to kill the fish.

4. NO CHEATING.. Honor System!!!

5. Contest ends on Thanksgiving day.

6. "Grand Champion"- Largest entry by length shall receive a plug TBD.

7."Late Champion" category- Last fish to be entered by date shall receive a plug TBD.

8. "Numbskull" category - Smallest Fish, Caught and Released, will receive a plug TBD.

ivanputski 11-07-2019 08:22 AM

This was always in good fun... I will be out fishing anyways, so sure Im interested.

PaulS 11-07-2019 08:23 AM

Should the contest exclude rivers?

tlapinski 11-07-2019 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulS (Post 1178819)
Should the contest exclude rivers?

I don't believe it did in the past, but I was thinking that perhaps it should as anyone can run down to "the river that shall not be named" to seek hero status.

zimmy 11-07-2019 08:44 AM

Interesting this came up. I was giving a go in a local spot last night and was wondering if it has been over for a few years. Probably should start a separate thread, but I was thinking about whether anyone was getting actual good fish from shore anymore. I will be fishing the next few weeks so I'm interested. Only thing is that I am near the unnamed river and that is where 75% of my time will be spent. I won't be driving farther to get to sound water in order to be eligible for hero status, so I might not qualify anyway.

JohnR 11-07-2019 12:04 PM

Sure - Sunday after TDay finish?

JLH 11-07-2019 12:38 PM

Sure why not. Could use some motivation to get out there.

redcrbbr 11-07-2019 02:23 PM

I am not hearing the fat lady singing yet. Of course it does help being pretty much deaf :confused:

piemma 11-08-2019 07:54 AM

November is the month I love the most to fish. I'm in.

tlapinski 11-08-2019 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnR (Post 1178840)
Sure - Sunday after TDay finish?

I'm down for a 12/1 end date, entries in by midnight.

Rappin Mikey 11-08-2019 01:23 PM

I'd love to be in. Just might be hard to get to the salt. Do holdovers count? I usually can find them around home.

Rappin Mikey 11-08-2019 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rappin Mikey (Post 1178951)
I'd love to be in. Just might be hard to get to the salt. Do holdovers count? I usually can find them around home.

duh, I just read the rest of the thread (for the record, my holdovers are a little tougher to find in a concentrated mass 80 miles inland)

spence 11-08-2019 01:38 PM

Shouldn't this be in the politics forum :hee:

MAKAI 11-08-2019 02:32 PM

What’s a fish ?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Jimbo 11-09-2019 05:39 PM

I'm in and not from the backwaters of a mid-cape river I've been plying every other day, either, but my wife says we have to go back to NJ in a week or so, something about daughter #1 getting engaged so guess I have to drive my commander back for that. West Dennis Beach here I come.

tlapinski 11-11-2019 07:36 AM

Looks to be enough interest, let's get it going effective right now and running through 11:59 PM on 12/1 (to have the entire weekend after Thanksgiving included.) I have 2-3 plugs for the two spots, feel free but not obligated to add to the prize packs here.
  1. Entries to be made in this thread and fish must be entered within 24 hours of catch being made.
  2. Fish must be shore caught striped bass.
  3. Mass/RI/CT/ME/NH waters only. Will include the rivers since a few guys have indicated that's their only chance to get a fish and this is more about having fun and getting participation than fighting over whether or not river fish count.
  4. Provide sufficient proof of your catch, photo preferred (can be selfie, don't need to have fish laying out on the ground, etc.) ...no need to kill the fish.
  5. NO CHEATING.. Honor System!!!
  6. Contest ends on December 1.
  7. "Grand Champion"- Largest entry by length shall receive a plug pack TBD.
  8. "Numbskull" category - Smallest Fish, Caught and Released, will receive a schoolie plug pack TBD.

PaulS 11-12-2019 07:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Entry for largest fish.

tlapinski 11-12-2019 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulS (Post 1179148)
Entry for largest fish.

Good start, length?

PaulS 11-12-2019 08:56 AM

13" ;)

SAUERKRAUT 11-12-2019 02:36 PM

Still Trying ...

1 Attachment(s)
This is a nicely released, measured 35-36" entry to claim the Zealot Award for your contest.
Nov. 11th.

ZEALOT: Defn. Somebody who persists at something when all sight of the goal (having fun) is lost. It is cold, lonely, dark, and even a little dangerous as I am solo fishing. Nobody else in their right mind, like my frequent partner Numbskull, cares to help me with my Addiction.

piemma 11-12-2019 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUERKRAUT (Post 1179186)
This is a nicely released, measured 35-36" entry to claim the Zealot Award for your contest.
Nov. 11th.

ZEALOT: Defn. Somebody who persists at something when all sight of the goal (having fun) is lost. It is cold, lonely, dark, and even a little dangerous as I am solo fishing. Nobody else in their right mind, like my frequent partner Numbskull, cares to help me with my Addiction.

You are an animal!!!!:musc:

tlapinski 11-14-2019 09:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Awesome work guys, looks like we have a solid pair of entries already! (will post standings in moment.) Here is a look at what I dug up for prizes so far. If anyone would like to add to the prizes, feel free to do so but there is no obligation for entry or participation as the goal here is to have fun.

Grand Champion- Largest Fish - NOS Beachmaster junior
Late Champion - Last Fish Entered - 2-Ounce Guppy Pencil
Numbskull Champion - Smallest Fish - Yo-Zuri Mag Darter

tlapinski 11-14-2019 09:53 AM

STANDINGS a/o 11/14/2019:

Grand Champion- Largest Fish - Sauerkraut 36"
Late Champion - Last Fish Entered - TBD
Numbskull Champion - Smallest Fish - PaulS 13"

tlapinski 11-20-2019 07:53 AM

Still lots of fish out there. Got into a pile of them last night but nothing smaller than Paul's entry or bigger than Sauerkraut's. Anyone else still trying?

Rappin Mikey 11-20-2019 08:20 AM

I'm going to try and get a pass out to the surf this weekend. That's always up in the air for me this time of year, but I've been choring it up around the house like Pa Ingles on little house on the prairie to earn my pass.

ivanputski 11-20-2019 08:31 AM

Still At it... Problem is finding fish big or small enough to enter,
But catching anything late season is always a win...

tlapinski 11-20-2019 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rappin Mikey (Post 1179804)
I'm going to try and get a pass out to the surf this weekend. That's always up in the air for me this time of year, but I've been choring it up around the house like Pa Ingles on little house on the prairie to earn my pass.

Good luck (on the pass and the fishing :hihi:). Keep in mind that the rivers are open, too, as I didn't want to limit participation just because river fish are almost as bad as boat fish. :fishslap:

PaulS 11-20-2019 01:38 PM

I went out last night but nothing good to report (other than I did fish:))

puppet 11-20-2019 02:20 PM

I might give it a shot this weekend. Rattle the cage fron newenglands armpit
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Clammer 11-20-2019 04:04 PM

Tlap ………..I don,t know how to copy a post …..but IMO boats & Yaks are pretty much the dead fu ci in thing .but yaks are more deadly /…….………...OOOOOOH did you say you got a tricked out yak :jump::jump::eek: