Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   StriperTalk! (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   f'n cancer (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=94637)

BMEUPSCOTTY 01-06-2019 11:34 PM

f'n cancer

To everyone it has touched, I'm sorry. Why doesn't it just affect bad people? My best friend, fishing buddy, and BIL, a great guy who I look up to... Lives way healthier than me, does everything right, raises two great kids, takes good care of my sister, my parents... plows out the whole hill in the winter etc.
Apparently out of nowhere, (and he does not hide from the dr.) today we found out he has stage 4 gastric cancer, with liver and lymph nodes along for the ride.. I googled, I know the deal... Life ain't fair..

Guppy 01-07-2019 07:17 AM

Terrible,,,
I’m sure you’ll be there for them...
Thoughts and prayers

Sea Dangles 01-07-2019 07:33 AM

Not fair
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Got Stripers 01-07-2019 08:14 AM

We lost two family members this year to cancer, it’s a trying journey for all it touches, I feel your pain.

JohnR 01-07-2019 08:22 AM

Cancer is not fair, other than it goes after everyone directly or indirectly. Hopefully cancer's days are numbered.

Good luck to your BIL.

Ian 01-07-2019 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMEUPSCOTTY (Post 1158905)
To everyone it has touched, I'm sorry. Why doesn't it just affect bad people? My best friend, fishing buddy, and BIL, a great guy who I look up to... Lives way healthier than me, does everything right, raises two great kids, takes good care of my sister, my parents... plows out the whole hill in the winter etc.
Apparently out of nowhere, (and he does not hide from the dr.) today we found out he has stage 4 gastric cancer, with liver and lymph nodes along for the ride.. I googled, I know the deal... Life ain't fair..

So sorry to hear...

One thing I always relay to people I hear who get this news is that while statistics and medical journals can be scary and not on your side, enough people pull off recoveries against the odds, increasingly so with modern medicine always improving, that it’s always worth holding onto some hope and acting as a positive force for your loved ones who are fighting, you never know what might work.

Good luck, sorry again that you have to go through it.

chris L 01-07-2019 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 1158973)
So sorry to hear...

One thing I always relay to people I hear who get this news is that while statistics and medical journals can be scary and not on your side, enough people pull off recoveries against the odds, increasingly so with modern medicine always improving, that it’s always worth holding onto some hope and acting as a positive force for your loved ones who are fighting, you never know what might work.

Good luck, sorry again that you have to go through it.

Exactly
I think a lot of people beat the odds . I believe it an internal fight to stay . Give positive hope and be there for him and your Family .

I hope the best for your BIL .
Chris

vineyardblues 01-07-2019 08:56 PM

God Bless

Hookedagain 01-07-2019 09:04 PM

God Bless him and his family during this most difficult time. I have a family full of cancer, both active and past. It takes a miserable toll on the entire family. Very unfair!!

Raider Ronnie 01-08-2019 07:16 AM

Cancer absolutely sucks.
I’ve lost family and friends so has my wife.
It’s devastating to live through & watch, even worse when the one who has it ha young kids as what’s going on with a good friend now.
Call me a conspiracy theorist but I call it government population control.
A LOT of people making money off it !!!
Pharmaceutical companies are not interested in cures, only customers !

maxum16 01-08-2019 09:48 AM

Cancer sucks...I know, I lost my mom to stage 4 colon cancer back on Jan 28, 2006. She was 56 years young. It can't hurt for your BIL to look into consuming foods that help raise your bodies ph. As far as treatments go..sometimes their worse than the disease. Like I said it can't hurt to eat raw vegetables that are high in alkalinity, might not taste good, but a small price to pay if it helps. God Bless.!!!

FishermanTim 01-08-2019 11:29 AM

Here's some food for thought...

We keep hearing news that medicine is making strides in treating and sometimes beating cancer. That's great, as it gives hope to those that might not have had any if they were diagnosed decades ago.

The flip side of all these advances is a simple fact....there are MORE cases "popping up" daily.

So they might find a treatment that works on one type of cancer, and treat thousands of people, but there are probably 10-100 of thousands that get diagnosed daily.

Even with added treatments, it sure sounds like we're losing the battle by shear numbers, not types of cancer.

Remember, nature abhors a vacuum, so a cure of one type of cancer could conceivably spawn a mutated version of another that we have no treatment for.

One key thing to consider is even though we may live a good healthy lifestyle, our genetics will always have a "wild-card" chromosome to play that trumps everything else.

But I digress.
To get back to the NOW, I wish your friend (and all others that are dealing with this disease) the best possible outcome.

I say this because the best possible, based on the specific disease, may not be recovery but rather a quick and painless passing. I explained this to friends and family when my father was dying from brain and lung cancer. Mercifully, he was not in any physical pain, just the mental anguish of knowing the end was near. We had him brought home so he could spend his last days at home with family.

Like I said, the best possible outcome (for a terrible situation).

bassballer 01-08-2019 01:31 PM

F**K cancer. Its really not fair.

Slipknot 01-08-2019 04:44 PM

:( yes cancer really sucks

piemma 01-09-2019 07:39 AM

My cancer has been in remission since 2011. What finally worked ......POT!
My uro-oncologist wrote me a prescription for it and within 90 days there were no more tumors. I still smoke once a week and I buy from the dispensary on Providence. Medicare doesn't cover it but I don't care.

afterhours 01-09-2019 08:56 AM

They've been saying they are thisclose to a cure for years now. Hate to think it but big pharma has quite the business TREATING it and as unethical as it sounds they may be only concerned with their bottom line.
Long but very interesting..
https://youtu.be/5eRTjPbhcB0

FishermanTim 01-09-2019 10:13 AM

Of course they're in it only looking at their bottom line!

Any pharma exec that claims that they are "this close" to a cure, and would welcome a day when their drugs were not needed to treat cancer is LYING THRU HIS TEETH!

Need any proof? Where do you think most (if not all) of the ED drugs came from? They weren't out looking for a magic pecker pill, but some whiz kid chemist found that one of the side effects of a "new" cancer drug they were testing was a raging hard-on.

So they pretty much dropped the cancer research aspect and focused on that new market....erectile dysfunction.

Sadly, the cancer drug market is not unlike the recreational drug market, except cancer drug makers KNOW that many of their "users" are going to die, but they also know that there are many more waiting in the wings to jump on the wagon.

With that kind of market why would they ever want to CURE cancer?

stripercrazy 01-09-2019 08:28 PM

sorry to hear, cancer sucks

BMEUPSCOTTY 01-16-2019 03:03 AM

Thanks for the kind words and thoughts guys. My BIL is currently home and scheduled to start treatment at Fox Chase in Philly. I guess three experts there in this speciality. Reading my op again I realize how weird of a week it's been. He (and all my family) are in PA, so I'm keeping up by phone/text. I want to go back and visit, and I hope to soon, but for now I have to go to work every day and wait for news. I have to try and forget about it every day so I can take care of things here, and then try not to feel bad about "forgetting" about it. He's in good spirits, and I know he's taking it easy because he watched the Patriots game the other day on my suggestion. He is not a huge sports fan, and I don't think I've ever seen him watch tv during the day on a weekend lol..
Hunting, fishing, tending to his bees, loading shells, hunting mushrooms, or just a walk with the dog in the Gamelands... anything but tv.

JohnR 01-16-2019 09:27 AM

Schedule a weekend to get down there

BMEUPSCOTTY 01-27-2019 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnR (Post 1159797)
Schedule a weekend to get down there

We are. He started radiation Thursday down near Philly, and they are staying with their daughter near King-of-Prussia during the radiation treatments. That will be followed by two types of chemo, one pill and one by induction. He gets a port on Feb 4th, and I think he can do most of the chemo back home, and that's when we're trying to schedule a visit.
His biggest issue right now is the blood clots in his legs, he can barely walk. They need to shrink the tumor before they start heparin to dissolve the blood clots. We'll go down to Philly if we have to, but we're waiting to find out where he'll be.

Clammer 01-28-2019 12:07 AM

from experience ...don,t wait too long >

Jimbo 01-29-2019 06:09 PM

Yeah cancer sucks. In the KOP area you have a lot of expertise in cancer care, Fox Chase is well, well known, you can't go wrong there. I was treated at RWJ New Brunswick for my colon cancer surgery, and Regional Cancer Care for my chemo. Top notch care, both. My mom fell to non-Hodgekins lymphoma some years back and my dad died last week being treated for but not dying of Myeloma. 88 and feeling so independent...just had a medical episode. Will miss him. Neither ever smoked. Sucks
Staying positive, and as dad said, "what's the alternative," is what your BIL must do, that and a hell of a lot of family support, which it seems like he has. It's so important.
https://www.ccgfuneralhome.com/ Roland Barker. Dad I miss you.

Slipknot 01-30-2019 11:17 AM

Jimbo, very sorry about your father :( you have my condolences.
yes cancer sucks

Sea Dangles 01-30-2019 02:19 PM

Sorry Jimbo

Guppy 01-30-2019 05:32 PM

Yes, sorry Jimbo, thought and prayers

BMEUPSCOTTY 02-01-2019 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimbo (Post 1161063)
Yeah cancer sucks. In the KOP area you have a lot of expertise in cancer care, Fox Chase is well, well known, you can't go wrong there. I was treated at RWJ New Brunswick for my colon cancer surgery, and Regional Cancer Care for my chemo. Top notch care, both. My mom fell to non-Hodgekins lymphoma some years back and my dad died last week being treated for but not dying of Myeloma. 88 and feeling so independent...just had a medical episode. Will miss him. Neither ever smoked. Sucks
Staying positive, and as dad said, "what's the alternative," is what your BIL must do, that and a hell of a lot of family support, which it seems like he has. It's so important.
https://www.ccgfuneralhome.com/ Roland Barker. Dad I miss you.

Thanks Jim, and wow, sorry about your dad. Yeah that's pretty much the attitude Anthony has, and he does have a lot of support.

BMEUPSCOTTY 02-01-2019 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clammer (Post 1160926)
from experience ...don,t wait too long >

We definitely will not.

BMEUPSCOTTY 02-01-2019 02:45 AM

Just wanted to say to everyone else that responded that I did read every post and appreciate every response and send condolences to all that shared their own unfortunate experiences. I feel bad for not posting on here more, and for lurking and not signing on to respond to threads like these when I see them, which is way to often..
:(

BMEUPSCOTTY 02-10-2019 11:27 PM

Wanted to post this in the good news thread but figured I should keep things tidy. Wife and I went down to visit Anthony. I was prepared, but it was still a little hard to hold that smile and keep the shake out of my voice at first. Amazing what can happen to a person in a month. 🙁 He had surgery Thursday and Friday to deal with the blood clots before they could start treating the main problem again. It was so good to see him, he was glad we came, and we're scoping out flights to go down again soon, because the drive from here to Philly sux lol

wanted to add, Fox Chace, where he is at, is absolutely top notch. Unbelievable people and care there.
The surgery he had required equipment they only had at Temple, but instead of transporting him they brought the equipment to him.