Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Top Coat (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=96450)

Linesider82 04-29-2020 07:53 PM

Top Coat

I'm not big on caring about top coats on my plugs but when someone else asks me about something I'm making I tend to care much more about how it looks before I send it on its way.

I had been using whatever michaels had been carrying, etex? and have gone thru enough of that to know it yellows or gets bad over time.

I just ordered East Coast epoxy? Maybe the same thing, at least both part a and b are clear. I finally got some denatured alcohol to clean the plugs so that might help... What other rules am I likely breaking? I've got plenty of dust.

Can I scuff sand plugs with tons of bubbles and repaint? It's like my plugs have rabies or something.

-Mr. bubbles

pbadad 04-30-2020 06:08 AM

Matt first off are these plastic plugs? U can use isopropyl alcohol to rid the plug of dust and grease. Mix the 2 part slow and i do 3-4 minutes. With createx which is thinner than the Flexcoat UV which I use 99% of the time use Better grade acid brush( horse hair) i get from fastenal or a Jen foam brush. Give brushes a rinse w/isopropyl. On the acid brushes I super glue the hairs into heel prior to use.
Apply and then use a heat gun or hairdryer to pass over epoxy to pop any bubbles and help the epoxy flow flat. If u have spinner great. If not flip until the epoxy sets. Usually an hour providing its not to thick. Give me a shout if needed.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Linesider82 05-03-2020 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbadad (Post 1192151)
Matt first off are these plastic plugs? U can use isopropyl alcohol to rid the plug of dust and grease. Mix the 2 part slow and i do 3-4 minutes. With createx which is thinner than the Flexcoat UV which I use 99% of the time use Better grade acid brush( horse hair) i get from fastenal or a Jen foam brush. Give brushes a rinse w/isopropyl. On the acid brushes I super glue the hairs into heel prior to use.
Apply and then use a heat gun or hairdryer to pass over epoxy to pop any bubbles and help the epoxy flow flat. If u have spinner great. If not flip until the epoxy sets. Usually an hour providing its not to thick. Give me a shout if needed.

Hi Billy, yes plastic. I wiped with alcohol and found out the alcohol markers (Copic markers) get obliterated. So, that being said, I think from the time I demold to "paint" I need to handle them with gloves.

I have to handle them because of the pour hole and flash, that need trimming.

I'll call you. I want to thin my 1 part but not much so I can dip and drip.

pbadad 05-03-2020 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linesider82 (Post 1192393)
Hi Billy, yes plastic. I wiped with alcohol and found out the alcohol markers (Copic markers) get obliterated. So, that being said, I think from the time I demold to "paint" I need to handle them with gloves.

I have to handle them because of the pour hole and flash, that need trimming.

I'll call you. I want to thin my 1 part but not much so I can dip and drip.

Sure thing. Give me a shout.