Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Muzik (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Wish I had his talent (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=67723)

ProfessorM 12-03-2010 09:37 PM

Wish I had his talent

Want to listen to someone that has his s&^t together. What I wouldn't give to have that talent.

YouTube - Donald Fagen talks about PEG pt 1

ProfessorM 12-03-2010 09:44 PM

wow how times flies. Great live tune. Skunk and Denny Dias some real nice guitar work.

YouTube - Steely Dan - Reelin' in the Years - Live 1973 Midnight Special

ProfessorM 12-03-2010 09:49 PM

probably one of my top 3 tunes they do . Listen to the arranging in this tune. Professionals all the way. Fabulous stuff here.

YouTube - Steely Dan | Your Gold Teeth II

Tagger 12-04-2010 07:20 AM

Check this out ,, how good thier other guitarist is on Conga's

YouTube - Do It Again by Steely Dan live Midnight Special 1973

Tagger 12-04-2010 07:34 AM

I bought my first Steely Dan album in the clearance rack because it was cheap .Nobody knew who they were. Remember my older sisters boy friend was blown away by it .. After that he was more interrested in the album then my sister .. Steely Dan always had a jazz feel ,, great lyrics ..

YouTube - Steely Dan - Deacon Blues

Tagger 12-04-2010 07:41 AM

YouTube - Steely Dan - Hey nineteen

JakeF 12-04-2010 08:42 AM

Good stuff :uhuh:

ProfessorM 12-04-2010 10:39 AM

skunk on Conga's

They probably had more of the top 2% of modern day musicians playing on their albums than any band. Mostly studio guys who were not well known. Creme de la creme. Frank had that going for him too if you could get by the interview. Great musicians want to play with other great musicians.

Tagger 12-04-2010 12:13 PM

I remember Steely Dan being dubbed a "Studio" band .. Listening to these new and old youtube's I'd say thier live sound is great ..

Tagger 12-04-2010 12:24 PM

2nd to none ...

ProfessorM 12-04-2010 12:47 PM

good in concert too although i didn't see them till later in their careers they still had a great band, line up, and sounded as good as their studio stuff. going to spend the day listen to them:uhuh:.
The horn sections they always had made their music so much more enjoyable. I really lean toward their early stuff as the best but have come to really appreciate the later stuff too after they got back together after a long split up. Two against nature is a real good album, although it doesn't have all the big name players in it that the earlier stuff had the music didn't suffer one bit as it still had the two of them and they know how to pick good players to keep the tradition chugging along.

something off that album

YouTube - Steely Dan Jack of Speed

ProfessorM 12-04-2010 12:54 PM

Here is a fantastic live version of Josie. Great work here vocals , piano, horn section, you name it, hard to find anything wrong here. Becker on lead, pretty darn good, as he played bass on some of the earlier albums.

YouTube - steely dan - two against nature ( d ) live.avi

Slammer223 12-08-2010 12:03 PM

I played "The Fez" one day and my 24 year old son was mesmerized by it.

Sea Dangles 12-08-2010 01:00 PM

I saw them two years ago in Va. Beach and it was a great show.For the longest time they couldn't and wouldn't tour.Fagan was such a perfectionist he hated the fact that their studio sound couldn't carry over to live music.I think heroin also prevented them from appearing on stage for a while.Dollars finally provided the initiative to get them to tour,and for that I am grateful.Encore finale was My Old School and the opener was Bodhisattva,Both awesome tunes. They have a lot of great albums from back in the day when an album was meant to be listened to cover to cover.

ProfessorM 12-08-2010 08:18 PM

yes siree Bob.

Raider Ronnie 12-08-2010 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slammer223 (Post 816851)
I played "The Fez" one day and my 24 year old son was mesmerized by it.

I was mesmerized by it back in the 1970s and still am !
YouTube - The Fez - Steely Dan