Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   plug roll (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=84075)

Swimmer 11-01-2013 09:08 AM

plug roll

What is generally found to be the issue when the plug rolls and not twitches from side to side? A little roll is not problematic, because bait fish appear to do that themselves, and the swimmer I have been working on is swimming pretty good. Is the weight to far back or what? Is recessing the weight further into the diameter of the plug the answer? I am being anal about this, because I want to be able to withstand the scutiny of my fellow hobbyist and plugmakers with thw quality of my work, not just its fishability. Truthfully I would like to make the plug so it doesn't roll at all. I dont mind the experimenting, trial and error, but trying to understand this issue is difficult. I am not making excuses when I say this, but I cant be the only one who wonders about this issue.

BigFish 11-01-2013 09:11 AM

Not enough keel....proper weight placement Frank! This can be achieved with the obvious which is more lead or properly placed weight or more subtly with addition of a larger hook or an additional hook (that would be 2 belly hooks) and this depends on the size of the plug. I am guessing you just need to experiment with your weighting?

Swimmer 11-01-2013 09:16 AM

That what I am going to continue doing. I wwish their was an equation or something you could apply to help with the problem.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

What the plug is doing is not unattractive I am just trying to perfect its design.

BigFish 11-01-2013 09:20 AM

Remember wood desnsity varies from piece to piece......find your happy medium! Because its wood and the density varies you may have some that swim a bit deeper than others....and this can be corrected with the loop bending up or down or lip tuning but I never find it to be an issue that is glaring.

Swimmer 11-01-2013 02:59 PM

I think I am being overly picky, but I want my work to stack up against everyone here.

iamskippy 11-01-2013 05:39 PM

Maybe post a vid and we can help/

numbskull 11-01-2013 05:48 PM

Try a narrower lip

iamskippy 11-01-2013 06:50 PM

Try putting a slight bend on the corners of the lip like a lefty

Swimmer 11-01-2013 08:31 PM

Thank you, take all the suggestions anyonehas

Raven 11-02-2013 10:40 AM

on the other hand

watch an injured baitfish die...

all they do is roll... then for a second they make a valiant correction
which fades, then they go back to rolling
and making small curves.... as their endurance is almost lost.

that is hard to duplicate (with retrieve) on a non rolling plug
"sometimes..."

although the lip design idea is probably best! (no argument)
see if you can preserve a slight amount of roll -> as a goal
same as wolf packs look for that "difficult to see"
signal of a deer or buffalo that indicates a health flaw
or a slightly weakened condition... then they separate that
individual from the herd. (for dinner )

Swimmer 11-03-2013 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by numbskull (Post 1019997)
Try a narrower lip

That never crossed my mind George. Will get a few pikey 2's for chits and giggles.

Livefreeordie 11-29-2013 03:40 PM

New here, and not yet a good plug builder, but....

I had a similar question about roll that I asked on another site's builder's forum, and did not get a decisive answer...

So, I cut out 6 bodies from same piece of poplar dowel, and put 3 different lips on, so that I ended up with 2 with a wide square lip, 2 with narrower flat lip with semi-circle end, and 2 w/narrower lip w/bevel.

The wider square lip definitely had the most roll.

All the bodies were pretty d@mn close in shape, weight placement, etc.

pbadad 12-01-2013 08:31 AM

As what Larry suggested Frank, KEEL weight. One way I tried is to make shallow depth weights. I make them say 1/2 wide X 1/4" deep and 1/2 X 1/8". Lowers the center of gravity.along with hook weight i.e. 6X trebles. Not to get too crazy over roll. Like mentioned above, dying bait fish never swim straight. I do realize this non roll concept is for your own knowledge. We as plug builders sometimes get crazy ideas. That's the fun of building and expirementing.