Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   The Scuppers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Toe Shoes (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=78203)

JohnR 06-29-2012 02:29 PM

Toe Shoes

Anyone doing them? What do you think?

Pete F. 06-29-2012 04:49 PM

What are toe shoes, sounds like ballet to me.

For some reason John, I come up with a pretty comical image.

Jackbass 06-29-2012 04:52 PM

Gorilla feet lol. My buddy has em and loves them for fishing sand
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

JohnR 06-29-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete F. (Post 946598)
What are toe shoes, sounds like ballet to me.

For some reason John, I come up with a pretty comical image.

:rotf2:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1500_.jpg

Jackbass 06-29-2012 06:43 PM

Yep gorilla feet

Clammer 06-30-2012 05:40 AM

OH yeah John R ......just what you need .................................................. .. Get them in pink along with a 2,piece swim suit :smash:

Saltheart 06-30-2012 07:10 AM

I would be totally paranoid about breaking my pinky with it seperated out like that.

Anyway , I never even saw them , much less try.

Piscator 06-30-2012 07:11 AM

I think they make underwear too

O.D. Mike 06-30-2012 10:16 AM

:rotflmao::rotflmao:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Piscator (Post 946643)
I think they make underwear too

detbuch 06-30-2012 10:35 AM

When it comes to fashion and clothing utility, I think we need Spence's opinion.

Nebe 06-30-2012 11:20 AM

Runners love them. They re train your feet to land on the front half of your foot and not your heal. If you jog in them from day 1 you will never have knee troubles, as the avoidance of landing on your heal acts as a shock absorber.

Nebe 06-30-2012 11:22 AM

That being said.... I wouldn't be caught dead in them... Gayer than crocks and socks ;)

ThrowingTimber 06-30-2012 11:59 AM

If you're going to run in them John I would suggest 1 mile at a workout and adding mileage onto that one mile to gradually/weekly. I would also suggest looking in to "Chi" or "Pose" running and their warmup techniques and exercises. If you are thinking of going into barefoot running.

A few of the guys I kayak with bought these for our expedition last year and they could'nt get them on with sand on their toes so just a heads up, they spent most of the weekend barefoot.

As far as them helping your knees... or back.. I doubt it.. what will happen is that you will strengthen other "helper" muscles that will in turn help your knees and back.

If you're thinking of going with a minimal shoe look at the Inov-8. Brand of minimal shoes I've got a few miles on a pair of Inov-8 F-Lite 195 and they're awesome. Again Faster and Zappos are some retailers who carry them. They weigh 195 grams and if you didnt have to tie your laces you would not notice them.

Merrel also makes a decent minimalist shoe but I dont have any first hand experience with those. I recommend the F195's without a second thought though.

JohnR 06-30-2012 02:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Me run ?

:jump:

:jester:

:rotf3:

:rotflmao:

No - but I walk far and fast and walking a lot more with the dog these days.

I have a friend that has these and he says they are great for all kinds of foot traffic.

But this is so I can take out The Joker on the long walks.

justplugit 07-01-2012 07:45 AM

Joker, what big eyes you have. :D

mikey99 07-02-2012 12:53 PM

Those things are freaky. Such a marketing ploy

PaulS 07-02-2012 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 946670)
Runners love them. They re train your feet to land on the front half of your foot and not your heal. If you jog in them from day 1 you will never have knee troubles, as the avoidance of landing on your heal acts as a shock absorber.

As you said, you have to retrain yourself to land differently.

I always want to step on peoples toes when I see someone wear them at the gym.

Clogston29 07-02-2012 01:34 PM

new balance minimus, especially the trail ones (i prefer the 20s to the 10s, the elastic on the 10s feels strange), offer a similar "barefoot" experience without the toes so they look better IMO. i wear them to lift and run sprints, although I still take them off to dead lift as there is a slight cushion and heel lift (they make one with no heel lift now too, minimus zero). merrell trail socks are another option for "barefoot". an inexpensive option are those water socks made for kayaks. nike frees or reebock crossfit shoes may be a good transition, rather than just jumping in to barefoot.

you can always go to a grass field and just go barefoot, i do this at the end of my track workout sometimes, running on the infield.

tysdad115 07-02-2012 03:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnR (Post 946683)
Me run ?

:jump:

:jester:

:rotf3:

:rotflmao:

No - but I walk far and fast and walking a lot more with the dog these days.

I have a friend that has these and he says they are great for all kinds of foot traffic.

But this is so I can take out The Joker on the long walks.

These would be perfect for you John , matches the joker perfect. Nice comfy toes for your piggys..and they are "performance ,running " socks. I would imagine you would have to run pretty fast to escape the guys chasing you!

bassballer 07-05-2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clogston29 (Post 946921)
new balance minimus, especially the trail ones (i prefer the 20s to the 10s, the elastic on the 10s feels strange), offer a similar "barefoot" experience without the toes so they look better IMO. i wear them to lift and run sprints, although I still take them off to dead lift as there is a slight cushion and heel lift (they make one with no heel lift now too, minimus zero). merrell trail socks are another option for "barefoot". an inexpensive option are those water socks made for kayaks. nike frees or reebock crossfit shoes may be a good transition, rather than just jumping in to barefoot.

you can always go to a grass field and just go barefoot, i do this at the end of my track workout sometimes, running on the infield.

these are what I have too. I lovem. Great for lifts, and running. Hiked the rainforests in Costa Rica last week with them and they were great. Super comfortable.

JohnR 07-05-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tysdad115 (Post 946934)
These would be perfect for you John , matches the joker perfect. Nice comfy toes for your piggys..and they are "performance ,running " socks. I would imagine you would have to run pretty fast to escape the guys chasing you!