Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Boat Fishing & Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   bilge access Suggestions (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=95138)

wdmso 05-22-2019 11:24 AM

bilge access Suggestions

It appears my wash down pump hose has split yet again . but this time there is no physical way to reach it ..

I have an 10 in access cover in the splash well but even with that its 2 feet away . screwed on with a hose clamp. even if you could reach it you would need x - ray vision to use a screwdriver

I have 2 choices . install a new one where i can

or put a bigger access hatch in the splash well ( which worries me)

Suggestions besides sink it

Email seahunt with my disappointment.. I am sure they dont care or they would have never mounted where it is and it without a seacock:lossinit:

bassballer 05-22-2019 11:27 AM

People who are over 5'4" were not born to work in bildges.

MakoMike 05-22-2019 12:04 PM

You do know you can use a socket wrench on that hose clamp? Most are 3/8 inch. Makes it a lot easier than using a screwdriver.

Sea Dangles 05-22-2019 12:52 PM

Take it to a boat yard and they will replace it.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Nebe 05-22-2019 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bassballer (Post 1167608)

Amen.

wdmso 05-22-2019 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakoMike (Post 1167612)
You do know you can use a socket wrench on that hose clamp? Most are 3/8 inch. Makes it a lot easier than using a screwdriver.

can' t reach it :tm:regardless

wdmso 05-22-2019 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Dangles (Post 1167613)

with the season starting and my luck they wouldn't be able to do it till Aug

wdmso 05-22-2019 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bassballer (Post 1167608)

even the Imp from Game of thrones couldn't fit in my bilge

Guppy 05-22-2019 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1167606)
It appears my wash down pump hose has split yet again . but this time there is no physical way to reach it ..

I have an 10 in access cover in the splash well but even with that its 2 feet away . screwed on with a hose clamp. even if you could reach it you would need x - ray vision to use a screwdriver

I have 2 choices . install a new one where i can

or put a bigger access hatch in the splash well ( which worries me)

Suggestions besides sink it

Email seahunt with my disappointment.. I am sure they dont care or they would have never mounted where it is and it without a seacock:lossinit:

No seacock! Piss poor
I have a wi fi orthoscope that you view on cell phone, work good for one hand no see um spots...

Tx ya

piemma 05-23-2019 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Dangles (Post 1167613)

This! Bilge pump is nothing to half ass

wdmso 05-23-2019 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piemma (Post 1167640)
This! Bilge pump is nothing to half ass

I can reach my bilge pump and my live well pump on dry land at sea impossible .. no issues with them .

looks like ill be doing the tried and true 5 gal bucket washdown method for a bit ..if i dont use it it doesn't leak... thanks for the suggestions

Nebe 05-23-2019 07:17 AM

Without seeing your setup, I can only offer speculation on what I would do if it was my boat. So with that said, I would cut out the area of the cockpit where the pump is mounted and remove it. Then I’d take a piece of 1/4” G-10 to cover the hole that you made and mount a new pump and hose fitting on the g-10. Then I’d paint it with a matching color and mount this new plate on the boat with finish washers and screws. You may have to epoxy in a couple backing plates to take the threads of your screws. Some 3m 4200 to seal the seams and keep it water tight is a must too.
This way, if your pump dies again, you can just remove the whole access plate and all the guts come out with it. Some marine plywood on the backside of the plate would help to mount the pump to the plate so you wouldn’t have extra holes and hardware on the exterior of the plate.

wdmso 05-23-2019 02:26 PM

Ray stopped by this afternoon and he is far more experienced and skilled then me . Basically said cut the hose's and remount a new one in a better spot .. that's the new plan

Sea Dangles 05-23-2019 03:58 PM

He knows stuff

numbskull 05-23-2019 05:58 PM

A warning about wash down pumps.
Small ones typically have nylon fittings.
I broke one on my Regulator when I pushed on a hose to access something else.
My neighbor across the street lost his 32 Regulator (sank at the dock) when the same cheap fitting failed on his boat.

Peter D 05-24-2019 09:25 AM

Too many boats are designed with little consideration for access to essential areas.
I have a 17 ft Montauk whaler which is a beast to work under the console as well as access and mount a bilge pump and live bait pump in the aft section. Would never purchase a Whaler again.

MakoMike 05-24-2019 10:20 AM

FWIW, I would worry about that combination of no access and no sea cock, that's a mighty big hole in your boat that you can't fix if anything goes wrong. Even a failed hose could sink the boat. I would cut an access hatch in the deck, install a sea cock and then replace the pump and hose. Better safe than sorry.

nightfighter 05-24-2019 11:08 AM

Replace thru hull. Bronze with seacock. Extra long hose connected when you install. If yours are Delran/plastic, they break apart with a large screwdriver..... 4200 on the new ones

MakoMike 05-28-2019 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightfighter (Post 1167736)
Replace thru hull. Bronze with seacock. Extra long hose connected when you install. If yours are Delran/plastic, they break apart with a large screwdriver..... 4200 on the new ones

If you use a bronze seacock use 5200, that seacock will outlaw the boat.

MakoMike 05-28-2019 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter D (Post 1167727)
Would never purchase a Whaler again.

You may be the only one on the planet that has ever said that! :)