Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   StriperTalk! (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Fall fishing in RI (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=66169)

jualma 09-15-2010 12:09 PM

Fall fishing in RI

I am new to the forum and looking to get some tips from the experts. I am planning to head to ri late this month or early oct. Can anyone help me with a good location for that time and some lure selections, live bait hints or anything else that may make my trip a sucess. I have been on a bass charter and did well but am interested in catching and finding these beasts without the help of a captain.

Thank you

JohnR 09-16-2010 03:51 PM

I think we'll move this to the main forum for more love.

Rob Rockcrawler 09-16-2010 04:35 PM

As for bait you cant go wrong with eels. As for spots, thats a tough one. Id look for rocky points, moving water and white water. Id keep an eye out on the water, you might see some birds working or darker patches of water which are often schools of bait. Good luck, you picked a good time to make a trip rhodie.

iamskippy 09-16-2010 05:42 PM

fishing is no good in rhodie mass is where the feesh are.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

tattoobob 09-16-2010 06:33 PM

Asking a Rhode Islander for a spot is like asking them for there first born. your not going to get it

iamskippy 09-16-2010 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tattoobob (Post 795310)
Asking a Rhode Islander for a spot is like asking them for there first born. your not going to get it

HEY! ~ i resemble that remark, lol, Hey bob if you show me yours i will show you mine. :drool:

piemma 09-17-2010 03:55 AM

God, now that want to know "where to go, what time to go, what lures/bait to use.

Here, wait a minute I'll run right out and catch you a couple of 30s and ice them down for you and you can stop by the house and pick them up. Or, would you rather I deliver them.:fury:

What the hell has happened to this Board?????:confused::confused:

slow eddie 09-17-2010 07:22 AM

there are ABSOLUTELY no fish in rhody. fish the ditch.

JohnR 09-17-2010 07:54 AM

Find a copy of OTW's Surf Fishing Rhode Island - great for spots

RIJIMMY 09-17-2010 08:27 AM

you guys are sounding a little too much like the "other" site.
there is plenty of valuable info you can give.

I'm no expert, but I've fished that area enough years of my life to give you some guidance.
In the fall, the fish are moving. I'd concentrate on the major points in RI - Brenton, Beavertail, Pt Judith, Watch Hill. These areas can be treacherous to fish (think dead) so do your research, go down during the daylight and snoop around. You also have the breachways in south county. Charlestown has the easiest public access. It can be crowded on an outgoing tide and there are unwritten rules on how to fish with others, just observe and you'll get the hang of it. Id HIGHLY reccomend fishing the channels in the breachways versus the ends with teh crowd, on an incoming tide, fish will stack up on the curved, points, holes. I'd do most of my fishing at night with live eels. The daylight bite at dawn can be a blast for smaller fish if the bait is there. I would pack a heacy rod for eel fishing and a lighter rod for schoolie fishing. Small plugs, rubber shads, sluggos are all you need. Stop by one of the local tackle shops, pick up some eels or plugs and ask them for advice. All the hot shots might pretend there are secret spots but the reality is that the fish are here one day and gone tomorrow, move around, scout the water and find the bait. be safe, Im not kidding how dangersous some of these spots can be.

iamskippy 09-17-2010 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIJIMMY (Post 795425)
you guys are sounding a little too much like the "other" site.
there is plenty of valuable info you can give.

I'm no expert, but I've fished that area enough years of my life to give you some guidance.
In the fall, the fish are moving. I'd concentrate on the major points in RI - Brenton, Beavertail, Pt Judith, Watch Hill. These areas can be treacherous to fish (think dead) so do your research, go down during the daylight and snoop around. You also have the breachways in south county. Charlestown has the easiest public access. It can be crowded on an outgoing tide and there are unwritten rules on how to fish with others, just observe and you'll get the hang of it. Id HIGHLY reccomend fishing the channels in the breachways versus the ends with teh crowd, on an incoming tide, fish will stack up on the curved, points, holes. I'd do most of my fishing at night with live eels. The daylight bite at dawn can be a blast for smaller fish if the bait is there. I would pack a heacy rod for eel fishing and a lighter rod for schoolie fishing. Small plugs, rubber shads, sluggos are all you need. Stop by one of the local tackle shops, pick up some eels or plugs and ask them for advice. All the hot shots might pretend there are secret spots but the reality is that the fish are here one day and gone tomorrow, move around, scout the water and find the bait. be safe, Im not kidding how dangersous some of these spots can be.

NOSA! Man i have been doing it all wrong. Dont listen to him fish the ditch all the fish are there!No feesh in RI

The Iceman 6 09-17-2010 11:58 AM

One more thing: Korkers are a must in RI. Bring them!

Nebe 09-17-2010 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Iceman 6 (Post 795516)
One more thing: Korkers are a must in RI. Bring them!

I just wear studded wading boots. Spikes of some kind are a must, but IMO korkers slow me down.

tattoobob 09-17-2010 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 795529)
but IMO korkers slow me down.

Is that all that slows you down?

Nebe 09-17-2010 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tattoobob (Post 795535)
Is that all that slows you down?

No. My beer gut does as well

bart 09-17-2010 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piemma (Post 795381)
God, now that want to know "where to go, what time to go, what lures/bait to use.

Here, wait a minute I'll run right out and catch you a couple of 30s and ice them down for you and you can stop by the house and pick them up. Or, would you rather I deliver them.:fury:

What the hell has happened to this Board?????:confused::confused:

give me a break :rollem:

iamskippy 09-17-2010 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 795537)
No. My beer gut does as well

hahhahahah same here

joe the plumber 09-17-2010 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jualma (Post 794876)
I am new to the forum and looking to get some tips from the experts. I am planning to head to ri late this month or early oct. Can anyone help me with a good location for that time and some lure selections, live bait hints or anything else that may make my trip a sucess. I have been on a bass charter and did well but am interested in catching and finding these beasts without the help of a captain.

Thank you

Just stop in at any bait and tackle shop close to where you will be staying.Ask them these questions and buy a couple of plugs...better yet ask the questions as you cash out.You will get the info you need.Good luck