Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Grumpy Old Pharts Board (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   kids without discipline (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=43803)

fishsmith 09-22-2007 11:27 AM

kids without discipline

I just found my bait pen flattened next my shed. I knew it was my neighbors grandkids, but 1st questioned my own kids and they swore they didn't do it, and I believed them. I hang the flattened pen on the neighbors fence with a sign saying "WHO DID THIS?! "
As I'm mowing the lawn I see the kids who I think did it and questioned them, "did you guys do this" and like it was nothing they said "yup", not even a look of concern in there eye's. I tell them I'm very very angry and to take this to their grandmother. She comes out moments later, tells me she'll pay for it ect.. I said, i don't want the money, I just want to be able to leave stuff out without it getting ruined. She tells me she'll tell their folks, I asked her if she can do what I do to my kids for discipline have them write 100x " I will not destroy others property" , she smiled and said great idea. I know it's old school, but I think it keeps the kids thinking.

This is a great place to vent.

teaser 09-22-2007 01:10 PM

I would've just took the bait pen and wrapped it around their heads, that's old school.

fishsmith 09-22-2007 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teaser (Post 526741)
I would've just took the bait pen and wrapped it around their heads, that's old school.

right on brother!! :cheers:

justplugit 09-22-2007 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teaser (Post 526741)

:

LMAO, too funnie Teaser, and true too. :hihi:

baldwin 09-24-2007 07:20 PM

Should wrap that bait pen around their parents' heads instead, for raising the little guys wrong. Shows ya what happens when Dad is out on the golf course instead of takin' the kids fishin'.

saltfly 09-25-2007 07:52 AM

grandma should have dragged the "little angels"over to your house immediately and had them apologize on the spot.then do the 100x and give it to their parents.

FishermanTim 09-25-2007 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saltfly (Post 527357)
grandma should have dragged the "little angels"over to your house immediately and had them apologize on the spot.then do the 100x and give it to their parents.

I agree 100%
When I was a kid eons ago, and I screwed up, my parents made me confront the other person involved so that I got to see and hear their reactions. To this day, I will acknowledge my mistakes willingly because I can usually sympathize with the other person and it eliminates the stress of wondering if you "got away with it".
If I need to make amends, I'll also cough up the dough or do something (yardwork, etc...) to attone for my wayward ways.
It's amazing that that kind of approach can earn the respect of the other person, and eventually make you respect yourself.
It's a real character-builder.
I would only hope their parents are true "hands-on" parents, and not parents-by-proxy (by TV).
You know, the kind that let TV instill their kids virtues instead of instilling their own.
Good luck.

Hooper 09-25-2007 10:24 PM

Fishsmith-

I half expected to read somewhere in your post "...and then the parents showed up and told me to lay of their kid!" Down here on the Cape an off-duty Barnstable cop got his POV shot up by some punk kids and their paintball guns while driving down the road... (read a serious car crash likely???) So he snatches them up and calls a cruiser to come take them in. Well, he was charged by the DA's office for A&B. I hear that at least one of the kids is getting counseling for his "nightmares" from the "attack", the parent is considering a suit against the cop.