Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   StriperTalk! (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Shaking my head. (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=93437)

Nebe 02-28-2018 06:11 AM

Shaking my head.

I’m going to withhold my opinions about this, but thought I would share

http://www.thefisherman.com/index.cf...7&ParentCat=19

afterhours 02-28-2018 07:51 AM

This can't be good...

DZ 02-28-2018 08:10 AM

The EEZ has always been the wild west where anything goes anyway. Very little enforcement. I have some boat fishing friends who are very frustrated about it. The only way to curb this is to start publicly calling out the businesses who routinely fish in the restricted area. If they won't enforce it then publicly embarrass the charter/party boats who fish there on Social Media. I think The Fisherman Magazine and OTW should run a story and document what is going on out there. Send a boat out there - get over the line and start taking photos. Your magazines are Journalism - you owe it to your readers to document what is happening not just complain with occasional editorials. Boat owners - time to police your peers who are fishing illegally. Don't complain and wait for someone else to be the heavy - do the right thing and call them out or turn them in.

tlapinski 02-28-2018 08:32 AM

Since posting this story yesterday, I have received quite a few different opinions on the subject. First off, and I don't really follow the logic on this one, a lot of people are unhappy that I put this story out there. Do you think that if it wasn't reported on then no one would know? I received a ton of phone calls on the subject over the weekend well before I even had a chance to fully research it, so word was already out. If nothing else, spreading the word on it gives us a chance at reversing the action.

Second, and this is a sticky subject, how would you feel about simply redrawing the EEZ line? The argument here is that in some places the line was drawn logically so as to not have scenarios like the dead space between Montauk and Block. Why not have a general sweeping line from Montauk to Block to the Vineyard and so-on? I am not saying I support or oppose this idea at this time, but it is worth discussing. Ultimately I'd be much more in favor of this idea than using budgetary constraints to eliminate enforcement as it does little more than further divide the fishing community.

JohnR 02-28-2018 08:34 AM

There is money for it, just needs to be allocated so. Sucks this endrun happens.

Can RIDEM do anything on boats coming into state waters from fishing in the EEZ? Though the NY anglers (and others) would likely go around state waters

JohnR 02-28-2018 08:37 AM

TLap - keep up the good work !

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlapinski (Post 1138485)
Second, and this is a sticky subject, how would you feel about simply redrawing the EEZ line? The argument here is that in some places the line was drawn logically so as to not have scenarios like the dead space between Montauk and Block. Why not have a general sweeping line from Montauk to Block to the Vineyard and so-on? I am not saying I support or oppose this idea at this time, but it is worth discussing. Ultimately I'd be much more in favor of this idea than using budgetary constraints to eliminate enforcement as it does little more than further divide the fishing community.

State Waters, 3 miles, chips fall where they may.

The fish need a place where there is no pressure, particularly the big fish.

Nebe 02-28-2018 08:54 AM

Maybe I won’t withold my opinions .... but I don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

tlapinski 02-28-2018 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnR (Post 1138486)
Can RIDEM do anything on boats coming into state waters from fishing in the EEZ? Though the NY anglers (and others) would likely go around state waters

That's one thing I am trying to find out. Several years ago there was the sting conducted by the DEM in which they busted boats for fishing in the EEZ. Sucks if it has to come to this, though, as the state is already burdened enough with enforcement. I am shocked every month when I get the DEM report to see all the crap they are taxed with. From vehicular to warrants to parole violations and the like, it's amazing they have any time to deal with environmental issues.

For example, this is form the September 2017 report:

Violation Citations Issued
State Property Violations (Parking, Alcohol, Disorderly Conduct, Dumping/Littering, etc.) 17
Motor Vehicle 1
Boating Violations 10
ATV Violations 5
Marijuana 3
Freshwater Fishing Violations 0
Salt Water Fishing Violations 2
CRMC Beach Violations 5
Hunting Violations 0
Total 43

DZ 02-28-2018 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlapinski (Post 1138492)
That's one thing I am trying to find out. Several years ago there was the sting conducted by the DEM in which they busted boats for fishing in the EEZ. Sucks if it has to come to this, though, as the state is already burdened enough with enforcement. I am shocked every month when I get the DEM report to see all the crap they are taxed with. From vehicular to warrants to parole violations and the like, it's amazing they have any time to deal with environmental issues.

The logistics of enforcing that area are daunting.

The bust you speak of was finally publicized and a few names were surprising - if I remember correctly I think at least one or two were prominent RISAA members who had also been active in RI striped bass management committees! Can you imagine that?

Nebe 02-28-2018 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DZ (Post 1138493)
The logistics of enforcing that area are daunting.

The bust you speak of was finally publicized and a few names were surprising - if I remember correctly I think at least one or two were prominent RISAA members who had also been active in RI striped bass management committees! Can you imagine that?

no surprise here. look at the poaching problem...

MAKAI 02-28-2018 09:53 AM

Laws are for the other guys.

thefishingfreak 02-28-2018 10:06 AM

There's no bass in the eez anyways.

It should be a 3 mile line. 3 miles from land.
Look at the eez directly from Boston. Instead of drawing a 3 mile line, they said f'kit and just made a straight line from situate to Gloucester. Giving Boston proper an almost 13 mile line. (Block is only 8 miles from pt jude)It Would be simple enough to just move the line 3 miles past the block and make the entire sound inside the line like Boston.
This is more of a thorn in the side of the doomsday preppers trying to hold on to hallow ground, like an "AHA!"" You're inside the eez" "POACHERS", than a common sense "The line is missing" coast guard oversight or afterthought.

If it's illegal to kill bass on a boat within 3 miles of Block, it should also be illegal to kill bass from the shores as well.

wdmso 02-28-2018 10:11 AM

who's job it is the state or the feds and whos money is being used ..

RIDEM has no responsibility to enforce fishing in the EEZ or the budget equipment or staff to pull it off

Specifically, the Coast Guard is
charged with at-sea enforcement of fisheries laws throughout the U.S.
exclusive economic zone (EEZ)—the area of ocean extending from three
to 200 nautical miles offshore17—in order to protect the nation’s extremely
valuable fishery resources.

eliminating enforcement This is just another example of this administrations mantra .. less regulations are better . with out knowing how and why they they were put in place to begin with

Nebe 02-28-2018 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1138498)
who's job it is the state or the feds and whos money is being used ..

RIDEM has no responsibility to enforce fishing in the EEZ or the budget equipment or staff to pull it off

Specifically, the Coast Guard is
charged with at-sea enforcement of fisheries laws throughout the U.S.
exclusive economic zone (EEZ)—the area of ocean extending from three
to 200 nautical miles offshore17—in order to protect the nation’s extremely
valuable fishery resources.

eliminating enforcement This is just another example of this administrations mantra .. less regulations are better . with out knowing how and why they they were put in place to begin with

It boggles my mind why an outdoorsman would back the Republican Party. .. there seems to be a disconnect between the thought process that the fed government needs to get out of our way and not limit our freedoms, yet the tree hugging liberals want to also limit our freedoms. It’s the same logic that illlegal aliens are going to steal your job, yet are too damn lazy to support themselves and will be a drain on society.

I hope everyone has noticed that the White House has made it fair game to drill for oil all up the eastern seaboard.

Boy.. won’t it be great to have all that freedom to fish for striped bass that won’t be there around all those oil rigs?!? God bless Murika

Nebe 02-28-2018 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefishingfreak (Post 1138497)
There's no bass in the eez anyways.

It should be a 3 mile line. 3 miles from land.
Look at the eez directly from Boston. Instead of drawing a 3 mile line, they said f'kit and just made a straight line from situate to Gloucester. Giving Boston proper an almost 13 mile line. (Block is only 8 miles from pt jude)It Would be simple enough to just move the line 3 miles past the block and make the entire sound inside the line like Boston.
This is more of a thorn in the side of the doomsday preppers trying to hold on to hallow ground, like an "AHA!"" You're inside the eez" "POACHERS", than a common sense "The line is missing" coast guard oversight or afterthought.

If it's illegal to kill bass on a boat within 3 miles of Block, it should also be illegal to kill bass from the shores as well.

You have no idea what you are talking about in regards to block island. There is a 3 mile sphere around the island that delineates the eez. You can steam towards Long Island sound from BI and be in the eez near the sub buoy.

Gamefish status with a slot plus one trophy tag per year would solve all of this bulk#^&#^&#^&#^&.

thefishingfreak 02-28-2018 12:23 PM

Ahh my mistake, I thought the whole block was in the eez.
Carry on...

Mike P 02-28-2018 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 1138501)
You have no idea what you are talking about in regards to block island. There is a 3 mile sphere around the island that delineates the eez. You can steam towards Long Island sound from BI and be in the eez near the sub buoy.

Gamefish status with a slot plus one trophy tag per year would solve all of this bulk#^&#^&#^&#^&.

The problem will solve itself when the bottom drops out of the fishery. Which it will. And sooner than you think. All the warning signs I saw in the late 1970s are present again. :(

When it does, maybe this time gamefish status will happen.

Nebe 02-28-2018 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike P (Post 1138508)
The problem will solve itself when the bottom drops out of the fishery. Which it will. And sooner than you think. All the warning signs I saw in the late 1970s are present again. :(

When it does, maybe this time gamefish status will happen.

Maybe. But somehow I doubt it. Greed and ignorance seem to run rampant these days.

Guppy 02-28-2018 03:58 PM

Nebe...
Keep shaking , MA

The Division of Marine Fisheries is scheduling two public meetings and a public comment period to receive feedback on a pending emergency regulation that would enact a 10 knot speed limit for vessels smaller than 65’ in length operating in certain waters of Cape Cod Bay (see map) during the period of February 1 through May 15.

THE WHOLE BAY!

https://www.mass.gov/files/documents...g%20Notice.pdf

Guppy 02-28-2018 04:00 PM

Oops, I guess that's a hijack ...
I'll put it in the boat forum.....

bart 03-02-2018 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 1138500)
It boggles my mind why an outdoorsman would back the Republican Party. .. there seems to be a disconnect between the thought process that the fed government needs to get out of our way and not limit our freedoms, yet the tree hugging liberals want to also limit our freedoms. It’s the same logic that illlegal aliens are going to steal your job, yet are too damn lazy to support themselves and will be a drain on society.

I hope everyone has noticed that the White House has made it fair game to drill for oil all up the eastern seaboard.

Boy.. won’t it be great to have all that freedom to fish for striped bass that won’t be there around all those oil rigs?!? God bless Murika

This. And I knew you were going there and was hoping you would. How fisherman, hunters, outdoorsmen, conservationist, etc can still back this administration is beyond me.

piemma 03-02-2018 06:59 AM

I go in a huge argument with a bunch of "fishermen" from NJ last week. Their claim is that no one if fishing in the EEZ, that it is heavily patrolled by enforcement and I am full of crap. Oh well, as Mike P said, they will find out soon enough when the stocks collapse.

In that vain, I met a guy from MV down here (SC) last week. Was a cop on the Vineyard for 30 years, Derby committee member and avid striper fisherman. He said the Vineyard is a "ghost of what it once was" for Stripers.

Nebe 03-02-2018 09:24 AM

When the stocks collapse?? It’s already fully underway.

Steve K 03-02-2018 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 1138500)

Amen! There won’t be any clean water and clean air too. How don’t people remember what the ‘70s were like. There will not be an fish left to catch and those that you can catch will not be safe to eat.

Sea Dangles 03-02-2018 11:15 AM

The sky must certainly be falling

Nebe 03-02-2018 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Dangles (Post 1138614)
The sky must certainly be falling

Do you actually think that ending enforcement of the eez is a good thing?

And you believe that the bass stocks are healthy?

DZ 03-02-2018 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 1138621)
Do you actually think that ending enforcement of the eez is a good thing?

Enforcement in the EEZ has been basically non-existent. That is why everyone and their brother fishes there with impunity. Kind of like a sanctuary city for striped bass fishermen ;)

Nebe 03-02-2018 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DZ (Post 1138622)
Enforcement in the EEZ has been basically non-existent. That is why everyone and their brother fishes there with impunity. Kind of like a sanctuary city for striped bass fishermen ;)

On on of my boat trips to BI last summer I left the great salt pond and went west and around the island the long way to go inspect the wind farm (which was totally cool). When I was out there the coast guard was stopping every fishing boat at the 3 mile line. To say they “never” enforce the rule is false. I saw it with my own eyes.

The possibility of getting caught is an amazing deterrent as opposed to knowing you will never get caught.

DZ 03-02-2018 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 1138627)
On on of my boat trips to BI last summer I left the great salt pond and went west and around the island the long way to go inspect the wind farm (which was totally cool). When I was out there the coast guard was stopping every fishing boat at the 3 mile line. To say they “never” enforce the rule is false. I saw it with my own eyes.

The possibility of getting caught is an amazing deterrent as opposed to knowing you will never get caught.

That's encouraging. But you know what I mean.

MakoMike 03-02-2018 01:40 PM

RI DEM has a joint enforcement agreement with the federal government. That's why it was DEM that conducted the sweep out by the sub buoy a couple of years ago. Even last year most of the enforcement that I saw was being done by DEM. While I do not support Zeldin's actions, I also don't think its going to have much of an impact on enforcement in the EEZ as long as DEM continues to be the primary enforcer. Zeldin's maneuver should have zero impact on the DEM.