Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   The Scuppers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Oxy-Acetylene torch questions (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=69138)

Mr. Sandman 02-09-2011 09:34 AM

Oxy-Acetylene torch questions

I am considering getting one. I am finding more and more need for one. The last time I did any welding or Oxy-acetylene activity was a looong time ago. I am no expert that is for sure.

Can you guys recommend a small kit for a non-commercial guy?

Can you rent these at tool stores?

Nebe 02-09-2011 10:08 AM

definitely rent one if its just a once or twice a year type of thing. .

home cheapo has a decent small torch kit that i have considered, but when i need one, i just borrow the mechanic's across the street... one thing to consider is how much usage the torch will get, and do you want to buy a o2 tank or lease one.. you go through a small tank of o2 pretty quick.

Gary 02-09-2011 08:28 PM

You also have to concider the lease on the tanks, Airco in Hyannis doesn't allow you to buy tanks, but you can lease for 65 a year. I deal with Corp Bros, 67 a year for lease and their quite a bit cheaper on product. As for torches Victor all the way, A. O. Smiths is next.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Raider Ronnie 02-09-2011 09:59 PM

Most any gas supplier will sell you a small set, I believe up to 20 cubic ft.
I would buy from a supply house rather than home depot, lowes, ect....
The supply house is where you can bring them to fill later not home depot, ect.....

Saltheart 02-10-2011 05:13 PM

What are yu going to do with it? That may make a big difference on what to buy , etc

Backbeach Jake 02-10-2011 06:24 PM

Study up on how to use them and handle the tanks. Safety first. Did you know it's dangerous to lay a Acety tank down horizontally?

tattoobob 02-10-2011 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backbeach Jake (Post 836017)
Did you know it's dangerous to lay a Acety tank down horizontally?

Why?

Gary 02-10-2011 11:52 PM

Because the tank is full of Acetone carbonated with Acetylene. On its side carbonated acetone comes out of the valve, its OK to angle a tank of fuel, but it can't be flat. And acetylene must never be set over 15 psi for supply pressure, it becomes unstable unedr pressure after exposed to O2, this is why it is stored "in suspention" in the cylinder. if ya have questions ask away.

Gary 02-10-2011 11:55 PM

Technically its not dangerous to lay one down, its just a mess when you open the valve.

Nebe 02-11-2011 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary (Post 836096)
Technically its not dangerous to lay one down, its just a mess when you open the valve.

Sounds like me after a night of Mexican.

zacs 02-11-2011 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary (Post 836096)

sounds dangerous to me... spilled acetone + open flame and sparks = not good.

Gary 02-11-2011 04:31 PM

The acetone is less flamable than the gas, all it does is fill the hoses and torch with acetone, liquid comes out of the tip rather than gas. No different than over evacuating a cylinder. Even the best of us have knocked over a backpack set......

thefishingfreak 02-11-2011 08:44 PM

What are you Going to do with it?
I know our shop here has a "cutting and welding" pemit. you probably need the same should something go wrong.

Slipknot 02-11-2011 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 836098)
Sounds like me after a night of Mexican.

:rotf2: LMAO:biglaugh: