Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Rod Building (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Wrap question (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=90513)

Guppy 05-04-2016 08:17 PM

Wrap question

1 Attachment(s)
Any tricks out there to help with this ?
Will a longer taper on the foot help?
That's A thread, prefer D but ran out of red D... :-)
Attachment 62821
TIA, Gup

beamie 05-04-2016 08:26 PM

Yup, spend a bit more time on guide foot prep. That is important in my book. Also maybe a bit less thread tension.

As you said, the bigger thread is easier, esp when getting older. Lately I use the A on the under wraps and go over with C or D.

Sometimes in your case after grinding down the guide foot I wood get some red finger nail polish and coat the guide where the thread is going. So if you do get a gap it is less noticeable when some other rod building guy is giving the rod the stink eye.

Guppy 05-05-2016 05:41 AM

Thanks, the polish sounds like a good one

Stink eye? Good luck with that :-)
They don't come out pretty I build them to fish, me hopes :wave:

JohnR 05-05-2016 07:21 AM

Is the foot flat to the blank? In addition to grinding down the slope a little more.

ThrowingTimber 05-05-2016 02:29 PM

Couple schools of thought here:

Newer guides really dont need to be prepped aside from ensuring the feet are on an equal/same plane. The issue with removing guidefoot material is that now you are exposing treated/coated/finished areas to rust. Ever see the brown spots on guides? Basically pockets of encapsulated rust. If you do prep the feet by removing material treat the bare/exposed material. Clear nail polish etc etc.

In this case Gup. The D thread is going to suit the build best. Go that route, path if least resistance and all that.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Guppy 05-05-2016 06:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ground it, nail polished it, re-wrapped it, used D
Attachment 62824
Thank folks,,,
Now do ya know where I can get some 20 yr. old eyes... :fury:

wdmso 05-07-2016 03:28 PM

looks nice

I just refinished a rod was all happy with myself that I added a mermaid decal only to discover I placed it on the Guide side of the Rod
:fury:

Guppy 05-07-2016 04:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1100164)
I just refinished a rod was all happy with myself that I added a mermaid decal only to discover I placed it on the Guide side of the Rod
:fury:

LMAO...
I hear ya Wayne...
How's this, I just about finished a wrap and this comes off the spool of thread!
Attachment 62827
Half way through the spool, a freaken knot!!! SOB 😀

We should do that tog trip towards the end of this coming week!

wdmso 05-08-2016 08:03 AM

off Sunday and Monday next week .. this week have Tuesday the 10th off looks like a good day sun and 5kt west wind