Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Ice Fishing (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   Epic Winter/Nobody Ice Fishing? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=87805)

BigFish 02-12-2015 09:53 AM

Epic Winter/Nobody Ice Fishing?

We have had epic cold for almost 3 weeks and there is great ice....but is anyone ice fishing with all this snow?? Is there alot of snow on the ice keeping folks from bothering?

Raven 02-12-2015 11:43 AM

i seen a crowd down at lake chauncy

BigBo 02-12-2015 12:05 PM

Too much work getting out onto the ice then having to shovel a clearing plus how many holes. Not for me thanks. :(
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

fishsmith 02-13-2015 06:19 AM

I've fished local every weekend, last Sunday was great, pickerels, perch, crappie and 4 bass, all quality fish up to 4+lbs. . Like Bigbo said its a killer of a walk. Snow shoes are a must now.

Rappin Mikey 02-13-2015 08:57 PM

I wait till the pike places have been hit and trails are made this type of winter this time of year. Strong man competition pulling your sled through 2-3 feet of virgin snow my legs cant take.

Green Light 02-14-2015 09:36 PM

Too much snow! Hoping for a cold 2nd half Feb without much snow. ;-)

RickBomba 02-15-2015 04:49 PM

I was supposed to be at the Cape yesterday. Ice too unreliable and my shoulder is just staring to heal up. Between on call next weekend and the TFCTFN the next week, I think no ice fishing for me this year

stripercrazy 02-16-2015 06:16 PM

parkings a huge problem wtf

Sea Dangles 02-17-2015 11:43 AM

I will be back in the game w some new snowshoes coming today

Mugz 02-18-2015 09:26 AM

Went to NH for an annual outing with friends that we have done every year for the last 15 yrs the weekend of Feb 6th (2 days of fishing). Pine River Pond. Conditions were brutal. Felt like I ran a marathon each day we were up there. We had a snowmobile to get us out and back and it was still brutal. 4 inches of slush under 2 ft of snow.....with 18 inches of solid ice under that. Auger pretty much bottomed out drilling holes. We all decided that if it's like this next year, we will postpone or reschedule as long as the house rental will adjust. I like to ice fish but that was just nuts. That experience alone makes me not even want to attempt to fish locally.....I could care less if I ice fished again this year. Well, maybe I would like to get out locally for one last trip, but I will pick my battles!!
Snow shoes did keep me above the slop of the slush. Made it more tolerable for sure.
I'm winded just thinking about it writing this post....:err:

Guppy 02-18-2015 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugz (Post 1065150)
Went to NH for an annual outing with friends that we have done every year for the last 15 yrs the weekend of Feb 6th (2 days of fishing). Pine River Pond. Conditions were brutal. Felt like I ran a marathon each day we were up there. We had a snowmobile to get us out and back and it was still brutal. 4 inches of slush under 2 ft of snow.....with 18 inches of solid ice under that. Auger pretty much bottomed out drilling holes. We all decided that if it's like this next year, we will postpone or reschedule as long as the house rental will adjust. I like to ice fish but that was just nuts. That experience alone makes me not even want to attempt to fish locally.....I could care less if I ice fished again this year. Well, maybe I would like to get out locally for one last trip, but I will pick my battles!!
Snow shoes did keep me above the slop of the slush. Made it more tolerable for sure.
I'm winded just thinking about it writing this post....:err:

Geeees , I got winded reading it! :uhuh: LOL

Rob Rockcrawler 02-18-2015 10:38 PM

I'm done. Just too much work to get out there. Last time i was out i was mother f@#$^&* every flag that went up. THe cold and wind aren't helping matters either.

Rockfish9 02-19-2015 09:25 AM

It's been difficult.. I think my 4 wheeler wont thaw out until spring.. I'm back on snow shoes now.. just too much slush... I fish central New Hampshire and snow shoes and pack basket are pretty much a given at some point each season... I'm hoping this up coming cold front stiffens things up...if not.. it is what it is.. still beats sitting around the house watching the birds feed...

mag minnow 02-19-2015 07:12 PM

I'm trying Saturday weather permitting...

Rappin Mikey 02-19-2015 09:09 PM

I am thinking the same> Trashbags tied around the Sorells

The Dad Fisherman 02-20-2015 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mag minnow (Post 1065291)
I'm trying Saturday weather permitting...

Same here....

Sea of Atlas 02-24-2015 08:32 AM

Out fishing like crazy, the Big Lakes are frozen in Maine and we are out jigging Lakers. These past couple years reinforce the need for a snowmobile to make things easier. Only got blown off the lake once on President's Day when it was 15 and gusting to 50mph, we lasted an hour and then it was time to leave because my buddies hub collapsed in on him despite being anchored tight.

bobber 02-24-2015 12:32 PM

I've been giving it a try. I'm pretty new to the ice-thing- still learning what-where-when.

the ice in coastal CT is 15inches thick (plus snow)- using a hand auger gets old very quickly. so I usualy end up moving around a lot less just for the fact alone. been catching yellow perch and sunnies- sure would like to find a "game fish" (this seems like a lot of effort just to catch some tiny fish.......

The Dad Fisherman 02-24-2015 04:03 PM

Went out this past Saturday....easily 2 feet of ice out there....fishing was OK we managed maybe a dozen fish....one of the Scout got a nice Small Mouth through the ice...that was a nice surprise.

Rockfish9 02-27-2015 11:13 AM

best part of the season is from now until ice out... time to strap on the "big boy" pants and get it while it's "hot"...

fishsmith 03-02-2015 06:11 PM

Fished local Sunday morning. Between 3 of us, 4 good sized bass, a few picks an perch. Ice/snowpack slush stuff was 2ft. Easy to move around, no more knee high snow.

The Dad Fisherman 03-03-2015 07:05 AM

went out locally Saturday, good 2 feet out there. managed a couple of Bass, Pickerel, Perch, Crappie and even a couple of sunfish ........Beautiful day too....

wdmso 03-05-2015 05:56 AM

Went out last Saturday for my 1st ever Ice fishing trip besides the company and the nice weather I AM ALL SET WITH ICE FISHING.. between the boat gear and shore gear I don't need ice fishing Gear also

But enjoy the Ice there's a lot on the ponds and be safe

Rockfish9 03-05-2015 09:40 AM

Plenty of good ice now... snow has diminished in the north county leaving good travel on most lakes ..even by ATV... Saturday was the best day of the season... 5 species day including White and yellow perch... Small mouthed bass rainbow trout and large pickerel.. and I had the pleasure of sharing my catch with the resident bald eagle.. or should I say. He stole It!... it should only get better....

JohnnySaxatilis 03-05-2015 06:23 PM

I need a freakin auger! Chipping through 10 to 12" on the ponds around here sucks!!! had a perch fest over the weekend but couldn't get to any bass.

Any recommendations for a decent hand auger?

JohnnySaxatilis 03-05-2015 06:29 PM

Also I have a question. Where do you want to set your shiners in a generic pond. deep spots? Level shallow beds? or at the sharp transition points?

The Dad Fisherman 03-05-2015 09:28 PM

Get yourself a Nils auger....I've been using mine the past two weekends on 2' of ice.....taking me about 30 seconds a hole.....they are pretty amazing.

fishsmith 03-06-2015 11:15 AM

Johnny I target bass, use the biggest shiners I can find and try to keep my bait approx 3 ft from bottom. When checking my baits if any shiner has brown pond scum on them, my guess is there's a weed patch, and I'll bring the bait up another foot.

Rockfish9 03-06-2015 11:39 AM

Nil's is by far the most user friendly hand auger...if I were to buy new power.. I'd buy an Ion.. I own 3 gas augers..so that wont be happening...

set on pinch points... drop offs and weed bed edges... always put one in tight/shallow... also place one just under the ice.. you'd be amazed how many fish you get just under the ice.. especially late in the season..

ProfessorM 03-07-2015 07:44 AM

Hey Johnny give that pond behind my cottage a shot. I have seen some big bass in there in the summer. I'll bet no one is fishing there either. BTW I told Roy L too last weekend at the show so you better get there before him. P.