Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   StriperTalk! (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Next fishing adventure for me and my 11 year-old (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=94022)

Jim in CT 08-07-2018 10:23 AM

Next fishing adventure for me and my 11 year-old

Off his high of catching a 42 pound bass with Cohen, my son and I were watching the OTW TV show this weekend. We saw Bobby Rice of Truro, who we fished with when we camped out there in June, catching tuna on spinning gear last fall at Stellwagon.

"I WANT TO DO THAT DAD, CAN WE DO THAT?"

Is tuna fishing too much for an 11 year-old? If it's a thing where maybe 50% of the trips end without getting a bite, he may not be up for that. Seems like some of the guys out there can at least do tuna and bass in the same day. If we hooked up, could he hold the rod without it getting ripped out of his hand?

Suggestions? You guys haven't given me bad advice yet...

niko 08-07-2018 11:14 AM

Most 11 year olds would have a tough time with a tuna on a spinning set up. And yes - plenty of tuna trips end up with no tuna.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

niko 08-07-2018 11:18 AM

Maybe he could help fight a fish out of a rod holder with heavier gear

JohnR 08-07-2018 11:41 AM

He just learned to walk a little with that Big Bass - let him run a while on smaller stuff and gain a few years experience ; )

Now if you were able to find small football school Tuna BOOK IT ; )

Jim in CT 08-07-2018 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnR (Post 1148420)
He just learned to walk a little with that Big Bass - let him run a while on smaller stuff and gain a few years experience ; )

Now if you were able to find small football school Tuna BOOK IT ; )

I was thinking maybe football tuna, and maybe with a setup where the rod is in a holder or something.

John, another option is this...in the spring I took my son, and his good friend who had never been fishing before, for sea bass in Buzzards Bay. They both loved it, had the time of their lives. Maybe I take both boys again, and we find something smaller than a six pack boat, where I find some easy fishing, maybe a striper/sea bass combo. That's probably a safer bet than run and gun tuna.

wdmso 08-07-2018 11:51 AM

Get him on Albies he will quickly forget about his 42 lb bass .. plus Albies are more interactive casting accuracy distance and presentation and it will be all Him and just more fun .. thats My 2 cents and Point Judith has always been a good spot with high % of success

DZ 08-07-2018 11:55 AM

The Yankee Captains overnight groundfishing trips were always interesting. He'll have to work though. Deep water fishing with heavy terminal tackle.

tysdad115 08-07-2018 12:08 PM

Run and gun tuna on a spinning set up might be a bit much for him. Plus if he gets a chance to hold a rod with a tuna on and hears the drag scream under the power of a fish life will be over for him.. he's young still don't ruin a potential great bass fisherman by having him catch a tuna.

Jim in CT 08-07-2018 12:35 PM

Part of the allure for him was that in a 30 minute TV show, they hooked up with I think 4 fish and boated 2, so he does the math and thinks we'll be up to our necks in tuna after 8 hours. I try telling him it's not like that, but he's 11 and thinks I don't know anything (Spence and WDMSO can insert their punchlines here).

I'll probably look to od a striper/sea bass trip in Sept, maybe tog in November.

bassballer 08-07-2018 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1148423)
Get him on Albies he will quickly forget about his 42 lb bass .. plus Albies are more interactive casting accuracy distance and presentation and it will be all Him and just more fun .. thats My 2 cents and Point Judith has always been a good spot with high % of success

x2. book an albie charter. hell have an absolute blast with a lot of action.

Sea Dangles 08-07-2018 01:11 PM

Take him on a baby bluefin trip with albie gear!

Guppy 08-07-2018 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1148423)

This, call Niko

Raider Ronnie 08-07-2018 08:32 PM

My son Leo fought his 1st tuna 8 years old on a 50s stand up set up.
Fish was 60-70 lbs.