Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   DIY - Forum (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Bathroom vanity top (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=96377)

RIROCKHOUND 04-10-2020 11:56 AM

Bathroom vanity top

2 Attachment(s)
OK woodworkers...
Made a bathroom vanity top to cover the old laminate and gray 1980's drop in sink. This is the basement bathroom I have been avoiding working on. Before is the pic from Zillow when we bought the house (ugly seafoam green, I didn't take a before picture). Repainted the cabinets *should out to Old Village paint, the satin finish came out great) and new hardware.

This is the cheap 'reclaimed wood', not real so it is just a treatment they put on, not the whole board, so I can't sand it supper smooth without ruining the look...

Question is:
Topcoat... Polyurethane with several thin coats? Spar? Something else? Just seal it and leave it a bit rough? This isn't the main sink for anyone so it doesn't see daily use.

Slipknot 04-10-2020 12:20 PM

I would epoxy seal that puppy with 3 coats of at minimum boat builders epoxy then 3 coats of oil based polyurethane to protect the epoxy from UV degradation.
I did that in the past to a solid cherry vanity top that had an undermount sink.

RIROCKHOUND 04-10-2020 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slipknot (Post 1190535)
I would epoxy seal that puppy with 3 coats of at minimum boat builders epoxy then 3 coats of oil based polyurethane to protect the epoxy from UV degradation.
I did that in the past to a solid cherry vanity top that had an undermount sink.

Thanks Bruce. This is probably not a lifetime project (no finish carpentry like you build) , I'd guess this is a gut and remodel within 10 years.... trying to hold my wife off a bit on that with this cosmetic spruce up. Trying to use supplies on hand somewhat... thoughts on just sealing it with a clear sealer and then Poly?

Slipknot 04-10-2020 02:32 PM

Sure, it may not get a lot of abuse. Easy to put on another coat in a few years I'm sure. As long as you don't regularly leave standing water lay on it for long you should be ok.

spence 04-10-2020 03:37 PM

I'd consider installing a faucet, and square up those doors before someone has a stroke.

RIROCKHOUND 04-10-2020 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1190573)
I'd consider installing a faucet, and square up those doors before someone has a stroke.

#^&#^&#^&#^& off... :whackin:
Faucet on order and the doors... working on it, lets just say Bruce didn't install the originals I am working with here....

piemma 04-28-2020 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND (Post 1190532)
OK woodworkers...
Made a bathroom vanity top to cover the old laminate and gray 1980's drop in sink. This is the basement bathroom I have been avoiding working on. Before is the pic from Zillow when we bought the house (ugly seafoam green, I didn't take a before picture). Repainted the cabinets *should out to Old Village paint, the satin finish came out great) and new hardware.

This is the cheap 'reclaimed wood', not real so it is just a treatment they put on, not the whole board, so I can't sand it supper smooth without ruining the look...

Question is:
Topcoat... Polyurethane with several thin coats? Spar? Something else? Just seal it and leave it a bit rough? This isn't the main sink for anyone so it doesn't see daily use.

….and just because you tend to bust my balls, you have several spelling mistakes...

RIROCKHOUND 04-29-2020 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piemma (Post 1192026)
….and just because you tend to bust my balls, you have several spelling mistakes...

:hidin::buds: