Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Epoxy Mixer (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=87507)

N.ShoreFisher 01-02-2015 11:39 AM

Epoxy Mixer

Anyone use those PacBay epoxy mixers. I'm thinking I might order one unless anyone has had horrible experiences with them. Figure anything I can do to make things a little easier in the old basement. All my stuff has been breaking lately and I feel like maybe I just need a little nudge to get it instead of trying to half ass build something that will fail in a year or so.

beamie 01-02-2015 05:05 PM

I have one and seem to think it does good. I usually put the bottles in hot water for a bit and then sweeze 3cc each into the cup. It does seem to get less bubbles in the mix although they seem to pop eventually anyway. So do you need it, no....but I don't think you will feel like you wasted your money.

iamskippy 01-02-2015 08:19 PM

Was the best upgrade i ever made when making plugs...
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Swimmer 01-07-2015 11:34 AM

What Skippy said x 2

O.D. Mike 01-07-2015 12:18 PM

Skippy,
What do you use to clean off the ball bearings with?

eskimo 01-08-2015 09:12 PM

That good eh? I always assumed it was a waste of money. Most bubbles end up surfacing and taking care of themselves for me. My problem is with pitting and fish-eyes. Maybe it could be a help.

EricW 01-08-2015 10:23 PM

I made one of these out of a free microwave motor and 2 medicine cups. I simply took out the motor and attached a power cord to it.
The microwave motor usually has a little piece that fits under the plate to spin. Simply superglue a medicine cup to that and then place another medicine cup in the first and mix in that. The cup should spin nicely inside the other one without slipping. If find it is still good to scrape the sides though to get a good mix of e-tex or ex-74. I use small ball bearings and mix for about 5 min. Very few bubbles, although as long as it is not humid those always come out for me on the plug. I clean the ball bearings with denatured alcohol. You can also make a nice stand for it out of a coat hanger like the pacbay.

iamskippy 01-09-2015 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.D. Mike (Post 1060994)
Skippy,
What do you use to clean off the ball bearings with?

SORRY FOR THE DELAY

I use two things. I first put it in acetone then after a good soak i put it in denatured alcohol. After soaked in that i rinse it off or leave it im water if i plan on epoxying more.

Remember to always re soak or rinse in the denatured alcohol before using and let air dry. This will ensure you dont have any contaminants on it and your brush.

iamskippy 01-09-2015 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eskimo (Post 1061172)
That good eh? I always assumed it was a waste of money. Most bubbles end up surfacing and taking care of themselves for me. My problem is with pitting and fish-eyes. Maybe it could be a help.

Pitting and fish eyes is most likely from contaminants on the brush you use. Soak amd rinse im denatured alcohol first. Fyi i dont use acid or foam brushes.

Since i have started using the spinner my finishes dry harder 100% of the time as the epoxy is very well mixed and 99% of the time i need little to no heat as there are no bubbles during application making the finish flatter and more uniformed.

O.D. Mike 01-09-2015 09:29 AM

Thanks Skippy and Eric,
On the pitting if you use the latest VOC clear it causes pitting because it has wax in it. I switched to the envirotex clear and that problem went away. I also wipe the whole plug down lightly with denatured alcohol before applying epoxy.

Another tip is to epoxy down the eyes down before applying the envirotex. I would get tons of air trapped behind the eyes while it was spinning. The trick is to put just enough epoxy to hold the eye in place but, not enough to come to the top of the eye.

iamskippy 01-09-2015 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.D. Mike (Post 1061219)
Thanks Skippy and Eric,
On the pitting if you use the latest VOC clear it causes pitting because it has wax in it. I switched to the envirotex clear and that problem went away. I also wipe the whole plug down lightly with denatured alcohol before applying epoxy.

Another tip is to epoxy down the eyes down before applying the envirotex. I would get tons of air trapped behind the eyes while it was spinning. The trick is to put just enough epoxy to hold the eye in place but, not enough to come to the top of the eye.

eyes = super glue = win no bubbles

O.D. Mike 01-09-2015 06:04 PM

Super glue = eyes stuck to my fingers......

iamskippy 01-09-2015 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.D. Mike (Post 1061305)
Super glue = eyes stuck to my fingers......

LOL I USE TWEEEEEEZERS lol

GattaFish 01-10-2015 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamskippy (Post 1061319)
LOL I USE TWEEEEEEZERS lol

Yup. That confirms it. Lol.

iamskippy 01-10-2015 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GattaFish (Post 1061325)
Yup. That confirms it. Lol.

True story