Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Rod Building (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   reel seat epoxy (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=87681)

eskimo 01-26-2015 03:47 PM

reel seat epoxy

Will I be fine using 30 min. Devcon for a DNPSD reel seat? I used rod bond in the past and I use Devcon 30 min. for just about everything else.

stripermaineiac 01-26-2015 04:20 PM

Hi It's Ron from up the coast. don't use that stuff ever on your reel seats. Flexcoat rod epoxy is what i use unless I'm doing tournament grade ie-50lb,80 lb 130 lb an so on then I use PC 7. Never had a glue bond give yet and I've got a lot of rods that I've built out there. The half hour stuff gets brittle and cracks. If you need give me a call and I'll tell you how i do them . be safe Ron

ThrowingTimber 01-26-2015 04:59 PM

Frank,
Fiberglss tape shims and the 30 minute should be fine. Wipe the inside of the reel seat with some alcohol and you should be good to go.

eskimo 01-26-2015 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stripermaineiac (Post 1062935)
Hi It's Ron from up the coast. don't use that stuff ever on your reel seats. Flexcoat rod epoxy is what i use unless I'm doing tournament grade ie-50lb,80 lb 130 lb an so on then I use PC 7. Never had a glue bond give yet and I've got a lot of rods that I've built out there. The half hour stuff gets brittle and cracks. If you need give me a call and I'll tell you how i do them . be safe Ron

Hey Ron - hope you are well. The 30 min is less brittle than the 5 min. Thats why I asked. I use it for plugs so I have plenty of it around. I had rod bond and pro cote but both hardened from sitting around.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrowingTimber (Post 1062938)
Frank,
Fiberglss tape shims and the 30 minute should be fine. Wipe the inside of the reel seat with some alcohol and you should be good to go.

Thanks Vic. I forgot if I used it on a rod before. If I did its still holding up.

afterhours 01-27-2015 07:24 AM

i use 30 minute devcon for fly and surf rods. for offshore and standups i used an industrial two part who name escapes me.

eskimo 01-27-2015 04:10 PM

I used it. I would be very surprised if it doesn't hold. I've had trouble getting metal lips out of plugs with a small amount.

Devcon 30 minute is much different than the 5 minute. Unfortunately it went from $1.98 at Walmart (a few years back) to unavailable except at Sears for $4.69.

afterhours 01-27-2015 07:56 PM

bennys has 30 minute for 3.49.

eskimo 01-30-2015 03:34 PM

Got four yesterday. Benny's rules.

fishing bum wannabe 02-06-2015 07:23 PM

I'm surprised anyone is having issues with devcon 5 minute for mounting reel seats. I've built 100+ rods over the years and have never had or heard of one of those reel seats not holding.

beamie 02-07-2015 09:01 AM

I would say that most of the failures with reel seats failing over time is more of an issue with installation and not the product.

It is true that the faster the set, the less strong an epoxy is......but this is a fishing rod not the space shuttle.

So the process of making sure you have lots of glue between the blank and the seat is key.....scuffed up blank and seat, cleaned etc. If you take your time your not going to have a problem.