Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Grumpy Old Pharts Board (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   city/state's new way of getting $$$ (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=90725)

FishermanTim 06-16-2016 12:01 PM

city/state's new way of getting $$$

Saw an article in yesterday's paper that they are looking to "require" a permit in order to have a yard sale.

Why? Do they think that these are multi-million dollar transactions?
Are we all just waiting to unload our civil war era memorabilia or one of our extra Picasso's?

Sounds like just one more cash grab for a system that can't manage the budget they already have and think that a little more money will fix the problems they created.

So, if you don't actually advertise as a yard sale, and people just happen to stop buy while you are "airing out" your stuff, will they call out the "Flea-market" militia???

beamie 06-16-2016 04:03 PM

Well on that same form they will be telling you how to pay the taxes on all the money you made selling your junk. More. $$
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Nebe 06-16-2016 04:48 PM

Slightly off topic but if you want to see a town in full money grab mode, come to Newport. Parking permits, parking meters, public right of ways that have historically been for storing dinghies to get out to your boat now require a dinghy permit. 20 year waiting list for a mooring, it goes on and on.

I think I would have liked Montana. (Who renders that quote?)

redlite 06-16-2016 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 1102598)
Slightly off topic but if you want to see a town in full money grab mode, come to Newport. Parking permits, parking meters, public right of ways that have historically been for storing dinghies to get out to your boat now require a dinghy permit. 20 year waiting list for a mooring, it goes on and on.

Dyin ruskie from " the hunt for red october" said quote

redlite 06-16-2016 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 1102598)

Who would be The dyin ruskie from "the hunt for red october" for $1000

Nebe 06-16-2016 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redlite (Post 1102611)
Who would be The dyin ruskie from "the hunt for red october" for $1000

Korekt Comrade!

Rob Rockcrawler 06-17-2016 08:05 AM

They charge a few bucks in my town of Sturbridge. I'm not sure what their rationale is since its only a couple bucks. No exactly a cash cow for the town. Sometimes i think towns add things like this just to flex their power over the residents.

FishermanTim 06-17-2016 10:03 AM

Sam Neil who also played Dr. Grant in the Jurassic Park movies 1 & 3.

Jenn 06-19-2016 06:13 AM

My town already requires that you buy a permit... I don't know the reasoning behind it other than $$ or to keep some folks limited to the amount they can have per year which is 2 per household. I can see the point in this as it can cause distractions to the neighbors, traffic, etc. I dont have a real problem with getting the permit but why I have to pay the the town for the permit does bother me. Reap their share of taxes? I'm selling crap for 25 cents that I bought 20 years ago for $20 and paid my share of taxes on it then! :fishslap:

RIROCKHOUND 06-19-2016 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 1102613)
Korekt Comrade!

One ping only please, Visili

BMEUPSCOTTY 06-19-2016 09:20 PM

I thought I heard... Singing.