Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Political Threads (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Classy piece of journalism by TIME Magazine (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=84139)

Jim in CT 11-08-2013 07:57 AM

Classy piece of journalism by TIME Magazine

Gov Christie is a conservative, pro-life, union buster, who managed to get elected twice in one of the bluest states in the country, and his re-election was an absolute rout. This is a very skilled politician.

Naturally, the liberals are absolutely terrified of him, because if he can win by a landslide in NJ, what other blue states could he carry if running for President? So, what does TIME magazine do? Do they discuss the issues? Nope, they make fun of his weight on the cover.

Imagine if the National Review did a story about Obama's unabashed hatred of Foxnews, and on the cover they called Obama "The Angry Black Man In The Room."

This is what mainstream liberal 'reporting' has been reduced to, and I will have a toast when TIME goes under and it is relegated to the ash heap where it so richly deserves to rot for eternity.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/onpoli...phant/3465209/

spence 11-08-2013 09:21 AM

The manufactured outrage in this thread is magnificent. I'll bet you went through 2 if not 3 boxes of tissues.

-spence

Jim in CT 11-08-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1020672)
The manufactured outrage in this thread is magnificent. I'll bet you went through 2 if not 3 boxes of tissues.

-spence

Spence, the outrage isn't manufactured. Now, if I said I was surprised, that would be manufactured, because (apologies in advance to Paul S) this is what we have all come to expect from many on your side. That you have no quarrel with a publication that represents itself as 'news', poking fun at a man's weight, tells us everything we need to know about you.

The civil rights workers in the South used to have a saying..."if the Klan is shooting at you, you must be doing something right". That holds here...if the editors at TIME hate Christie this much, that alone tells me that Christie is doing a lot right.

The liberal creed - when you are getting clobbered on the issues, rather than consider the possibility that the other side might actually be correct, resort to viscious personal attacks. Spence, rather than discussing why his side constantly resorts to such dispicable tactics, suggests that there is no valid reason for anyone to be upset by it. After all, it came from liberals, so according to Spence, it is beyond criticism!

Spence, just a thought, which I assume you're not going to consider, but I'll throw it out there anyway...if my opinions were so indefensible that instead of debating the merits of my opinions, I constantly had to resort to personal attacks...if my beliefs were so utterly indefensible, well, at some point I'd have to re-consider my opinions.

PaulS 11-08-2013 10:13 AM

Yeah Spence. Next your side will start with the he wasn't born here or isn't a Christian. I bet they're as scared of him as they were of Romney.

Jim - you gotta get over your infatuation with me as I don't normally open about 75% of your threads. I try not to be around such negativity. If you want me to comment on something pls. PM me so I'll know you need a response. Thanks

Jim in CT 11-08-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulS (Post 1020689)
Yeah Spence. Next your side will start with the he wasn't born here or isn't a Christian. I bet they're as scared of him as they were of Romney.

Jim - you gotta get over your infatuation with me as I don't normally open about 75% of your threads. I try not to be around such negativity. If you want me to comment on something pls. PM me so I'll know you need a response. Thanks

"Next your side will start with the he wasn't born here or isn't a Christian"

Paul, here is the difference, and it is a BIG difference...while I concede there are birthers on my side, almost no one on my side takes them seriously. They are kooks on the fringe, they are not the right-wing equivalent of TIME magazine. TIME magazine is considered a mainstream, influential, important source of news, especially by those on the left. It is not widely viewed as a radical rag.

"Jim - you gotta get over your infatuation with me as I don't normally open about 75% of your threads"

Paul, rest easy, you're not really on my radar either. I only brought it up, because you don't like it when I paint all liberals with the same brush, and there is some validity to what you say. So I was trying to be funny.

I see that nowhere in your post, did you comment on what TIME did. I don't need you to respond to anything, believe me. But sometimes, instead of just insulting me, you might try to comment directly on the issue I raised - maybe once in a while. In this case, I called out TIME magazine for cheap personal attack. And I'm right, which I presume is why you chose not to comment on it.

spence 11-08-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1020685)
Spence, the outrage isn't manufactured. Now, if I said I was surprised, that would be manufactured, because (apologies in advance to Paul S) this is what we have all come to expect from many on your side. That you have no quarrel with a publication that represents itself as 'news', poking fun at a man's weight, tells us everything we need to know about you.

Who said they were making fun of him? The point of the article is how Christie is changing the GOP...Their mascot is the elephant, Christie is the elephant in the room.

They could have said white elephant but then you'd be accusing them of racism as well :uhuh:

-spence

RIROCKHOUND 11-08-2013 11:07 AM

The editor is on the record saying the joke is about 1/3 each his size, his stance in the news, and the GOP symbol....

How many times has Christie joked himself about his weight (i.e. donuts on Letterman)

I don't think it is fear, I think it is selling issues. Was it a bit on the nose or over the top, probably.

Personally, I think the fringe is far more fearful of Christie than the left; see Rand Paul and Cruz's recent comments. I'll respect the hell out of him IF he runs without making the Mitt Romney 'I'm a SEVERE Conservative' pander to the far right.

buckman 11-08-2013 11:08 AM

Obese people are about to become another protected minority group . Spence and Paul will then run to the side of the " underprivileged , overfed and want some of your money ( I mean more of your money ) Jim, to balance the playing field ,
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Fly Rod 11-08-2013 11:16 AM

Yes Spence the elephant is the GOP symbol.

The donkey is the Dems symbol.

Maybe the Times should write an article of, the AZZ in the White house....OOPS!!..:)

spence 11-08-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND (Post 1020699)
Personally, I think the fringe is far more fearful of Christie than the left; see Rand Paul and Cruz's recent comments. I'll respect the hell out of him IF he runs without making the Mitt Romney 'I'm a SEVERE Conservative' pander to the far right.

Yes, the GOP primary is going to be bloody. Paul is going nowhere but Cruz will be well funded and willing to do anything to score points. Christy is a huge threat to the financial backers of the Tea Party, but right now he's the only one with a chance of beating Clinton.

-spence

Raven 11-08-2013 01:31 PM

i happened to notice

one journalist remarking on national TV
about letting the AIR out of his balloon

an insidious comment about his grandeur size.

Jim in CT 11-08-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1020731)
Yes, the GOP primary is going to be bloody. Paul is going nowhere but Cruz will be well funded and willing to do anything to score points. Christy is a huge threat to the financial backers of the Tea Party, but right now he's the only one with a chance of beating Clinton.

-spence

You may well be right. But as I recall, one side had a brutal primary in 2008, and that side fared pretty well...

Hilary is going to be extremely tough. This TIME magazine article shows the depths to which the media will go to help her, and your stupid comment that it was merely a reference to the GOP mascot, and not a dig at Christie's weight, shows the willingness of seemingly decent people to defend cheap and shameful behavior as long as it serves their side...and thanks to those like you, it will be a contest of character assassination (in which the GOP is hopelessly out-gunned by every TV station except one) instead of an honest debate about what's best for the citizenry. Kudos...

spence 11-08-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1020744)
You may well be right. But as I recall, one side had a brutal primary in 2008, and that side fared pretty well...

Hilary is going to be extremely tough. This TIME magazine article shows the depths to which the media will go to help her, and your stupid comment that it was merely a reference to the GOP mascot, and not a dig at Christie's weight, shows the willingness of seemingly decent people to defend cheap and shameful behavior as long as it serves their side...and thanks to those like you, it will be a contest of character assassination (in which the GOP is hopelessly out-gunned by every TV station except one) instead of an honest debate about what's best for the citizenry. Kudos...

I never said it wasn't a reference to his size, just that how would you know with the obvious other references?

Good though that you're already blaming the media for his loss. A lot of confidence in the American people you have......

-spence

Jim in CT 11-08-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1020754)
I never said it wasn't a reference to his size, just that how would you know with the obvious other references?

Good though that you're already blaming the media for his loss. A lot of confidence in the American people you have......

-spence

"I never said it wasn't a reference to his size"

Here's what you said..."Who said they were making fun of him?"

"how would you know with the obvious other references?"

Because one of us in this conversation, isn't completely 100% blinded by ideology.

"Good though that you're already blaming the media for his loss."

I believe I said the GOP is at a disadvantage. The 2008 coverage seems to support that.

"

Jackbass 11-08-2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1020731)

-spence

The next election is about who can beat the media.

spence 11-08-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackbass (Post 1020772)
The next election is about who can beat the media.

I'd argue that the GOP has the advantage in the media today. The Right is much better organized to spread misinformation and the traditional media can't sort anything out because they're all focused on the scoop.

-spence

Swimmer 11-08-2013 09:08 PM

Jim, Mandi Grunwald, who ran Elizabeth Warren's campaign against Brown for the senate, is the daughter of Henry Grunwald, ceo of Time Warner, which owns Time Magazine. Reagan made Henri amb. to Austria. Its all a huge vicious circle.

Jim in CT 11-09-2013 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swimmer (Post 1020824)
Jim, Mandi Grunwald, who ran Elizabeth Warren's campaign against Brown for the senate, is the daughter of Henry Grunwald, ceo of Time Warner, which owns Time Magazine. Reagan made Henri amb. to Austria. Its all a huge vicious circle.

And the President's press secretary, Jay Carney, was a bigshot at TIME. It is indeed a circle...

Jim in CT 11-09-2013 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1020786)
I'd argue that the GOP has the advantage in the media today.
-spence

I have no doubt that you'd believe that...and it's stupefying that anyone could say such a thing.

Did you see the cover of TIME magazine I posted? Is that the Republicans controlling the media?

scottw 11-09-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1020786)
I'd argue that the GOP has the advantage in the media today. The Right is much better organized to spread misinformation and the traditional media can't sort anything out because they're all focused on the scoop.

-spence

I'd argue that the Dems have a disadvantage in the truth today.

you can't make this stuff up...probably organized right wing misinformation

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (CBS Charlotte) - North Carolina’s largest insurer is having its share of problems with the Obamacare website.

Internal emails obtained by WNCN-TV show that Blue Cross Blue Shield show that only 1,000 people had filled out applications as of October 15th.

In fact, only one person was able to successfully use Healthcare.gov to enroll in the new exchange.

But even that single person has not paid, which means the enrollment is not complete.

The emails suggest the “payment re-direct option” on government servers isn’t working.

Blue Cross Blue Shield found the entire system is so filled with glitches that the company decided not to upload data because it was afraid false information might enter its computer system.

And the emails reveal a scammer was using the insurer’s name to try to obtain personal information.

A person was making phone calls claiming to be with the “National Health Care Registry,” and falsely claim it was taking over healthcare reform contracts from the Blue Cross.

BCBS spokesman Lew Borman told WNCN-TV the company is working with the government to solve these problems. there's your problem right there:uhuh:

spence 11-09-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1020851)
I have no doubt that you'd believe that...and it's stupefying that anyone could say such a thing.

Did you see the cover of TIME magazine I posted? Is that the Republicans controlling the media?

It's ONE magazine cover. Is it even making a political statement? Did you read the article? Is it critical of Christy?

-spence

Jim in CT 11-10-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1020883)
It's ONE magazine cover. Is it even making a political statement? Did you read the article? Is it critical of Christy?

-spence

s

Spence, in one thread, you denied the magazine cover was a shot at his weight, and you said that the GOP has the advantage in the media. Well done.

spence 11-10-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1020971)
s

Spence, in one thread, you denied the magazine cover was a shot at his weight, and you said that the GOP has the advantage in the media. Well done.

I never denied it, the other context simply outweighed it. You accuse Time of taking the low road rather than discuss issues but that appears to be exactly what the article is about.

It's funny this disdain with Time like it's a pillar of liberal thinking. I can't think of a single time in my life a liberal actually mentioned something in Time magazine. I doubt most modern progressives even acknowledge it exists...

-spence

scottw 11-10-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1020973)
I never denied it, the other context simply outweighed it. wow, another cheap shot...you people are really bad

You accuse Time of taking the low road which they clearly did rather than discuss issues but that appears to be exactly what the article is about.at least a one sided 'discussion' of the issues

It's funny this disdain with Time like it's a pillar of liberal thinking. traditionally...have you seen their covers?

I can't think of a single time in my life a liberal actually mentioned something in Time magazine.that's because liberals don't actually read TIME, they just subscribe to it and leave it laying around the house hoping that the mailman and visitors notice it and think they are well informed, I know many liberals who do this

I doubt most modern progressives even acknowledge it exists...they don't acknowledge a lot of what exists

-spence

that was fun

spence 11-10-2013 03:31 PM

I'm surprised you can type that fast one handed.

-spence

scottw 11-10-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1020988)
I'm surprised you can type that fast one handed.

-spence

one hand and one finger on the other hand thanks to a car accident but it gets the job done:)

spence 11-10-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottw (Post 1020991)
one hand and one finger on the other hand thanks to a car accident but it gets the job done:)

That's not what I meant :laugha:

-spence

spence 11-17-2013 12:21 PM

I actually bought this magazine just to read the piece. Articles were pretty flattering of Christy to be honest.

First and likely last issue of Time for me,

Swimmer 11-17-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1021854)
I actually bought this magazine just to read the piece. Articles were pretty flattering of Christy to be honest.

First and likely last issue of Time for me,

Time is being run by Henry Grunwald for decades, longtime republican donor and benefactor. He was appointed amb. To Austria under Reagan. The only thing liberal about him is his daughter Mandi, who is tight with Our Miss Warren. I actually chatted with him briefly on the phone once around "85". He owns three homes on the beach in front of Tashmoo. Time is fairly unbiased. If it leans any way its right of center.

spence 11-17-2013 12:43 PM

Not according to Jim.