Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   What Builders or manufacters are your inspiration to plug Building? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=54098)

montauksrfcastr 12-30-2008 12:04 AM

What Builders or manufacters are your inspiration to plug Building?

Cmon, Who are they?
My biggest being Bigfish Larry. Always a huge fan, and can never get enough of his work.

Black talon has some of the sickest work out there, and some of the most creative.

Etch Lures are the bomb, I don't fish freshwater but LOVE his work! His creepers are insane.

Don Musso and danny pichney. I remember when I was 9 fishing false bar. Had a half a plug bag from k mart full of wooden mussos, straight out of the package. lost 3 or 4 that night. Love replicating and collecting there plugs.

And lastly, Stann Gibbs. first lure I ever caught on was his pencil Popper. I was 6 or 7, on the NS of M. I traded fixters, Bm's an rm's for his plugs before, and will keep doing so Because IMO, His lures are one of the best made.
What about you guys?
Nick

BigFish 12-30-2008 06:11 AM

Wow Montauk.....that is flattering and very humbling. Thank you.:blush: As I have said many times before I was inspired by all of the talented builders I found in this forum when I first became a member! I was just floored by the incredible plugs I was seeing folks turn out in their home shops. Guys like Mac, Tagger, Slipknot, Bassmaster, Capesams, Jigman, and so many others and seeing guys like Habs and Tattoo and #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&......just amazing work.....how could I not want to try it? I owe a great debt to their help....they were all so forthcoming with answers to my many questions. My biggest inspirations I must say have been Bernzy and Ryan Smith as I am just a huge fan of their meticulous paint work and I continue to aspire to it. Their use of an airbrush and their results speak for themselves. I saw your jointed pikies last night and I must say you are off to a great start!:kewl: If there is any way I can help please ask and keep up the great work!;)

As far as turning itself......I always seem to go back to the great shapes and styles turned out by guys like Danny Pichney, Stan Gibbs and Bob Pond! Just made a few A-40's and they came out great! I think Mr. Pond would be pleased!

montauksrfcastr 12-30-2008 10:05 PM

Not a problem larry. Your work is top shelf stuff there! Thanks for the kind words! I will have more work up soon.
Nick

Slipknot 12-30-2008 10:11 PM

I was inspired by John Haberek
the needlefish king
God rest his soul

also that bassmaster dude
then guys like mr.pogie

redneck24 12-31-2008 07:49 AM

afterhours and mac taught me just about everything i know.

Backbeach Jake 12-31-2008 06:17 PM

Slipknot, Gary2, Bassmaster, Tagger makes me feel like I'm a slacker. Bill Charleston, MAC:wave:Met MAC at leo's with Tagger Angler1, Skitterpop, Big Dave and others( having a mental block). Never realized hash could be so enlightening.

Striperknight 12-31-2008 07:19 PM

Chumbucket - Matt always pushes the limits.
Gary 2- I've been blessed with being able to learn a lot from Gary. I will miss our plug talks. RIP.

striperondafly 12-31-2008 11:18 PM

Big Don :kewl:

Charleston 01-01-2009 10:00 AM

I was lucky enough to get into plug building in late '03 early '04. That allowed me to learn from all the greats that started these plug buildinng forums. Guys like Jig Man, Guzz, Bassmaster, Slipknot, Eel Punt, Mac, Tagger, Back Beach Jake. The list goes on.

The most memorable thing was the very first PlugBash at Herring Cove. It seems like everyone was there. Skitter Pop, Winch, BigFish Larry, Artistic Sensibilities, Ratty as well as the guys mentioned already etc. It was a chance to see what everyone was doing. For me it all started then and continues today. Great builders, great friends and a great hobby.

Happy New Year everyone.

BigFish 01-01-2009 10:02 AM

Bill....that was a great day! Gary2 was there too as well as Mac and Tagger!:bgi: Backbeach Jake was there too! Can't forget Fred...one of my favorite folks!

Backbeach Jake 01-01-2009 10:48 AM

That WAS one pissa day! Swapping, swimming, learning what works and what won't , and what shouldn't. Awesome time!!

new jack 01-01-2009 10:52 AM

A big Mr. Pogie fan:spin:. His work is always flawless. MAC and Hawg Hunter pencils are so sweet. I am also inspired by a lot of old fresh water plugs/builders/companies. Pleuger pal-o-mines, bass-orenos, heddon and creek chub to name a few.

Jigman 01-01-2009 11:23 AM

guzz was probably the biggest help to me when I first started building plugs (2001). Had a bunch of conversations with him on building topwater stuff that really helped a bunch. Winch was also a big help a year or so later when I started messing around with pikies more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charleston (Post 650692)
...The most memorable thing was the very first PlugBash at Herring Cove. ...

Definitely some good times :kewl: That was the first year that I fished the surf. Caught my first Bluefish and Albie that year.

Jigman

Charleston 01-01-2009 05:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 30750

Attachment 30751

Who the hell was that big guy in the red Jeep!? :)

ProfessorM 01-01-2009 07:48 PM

I am inspired by everyone. I can usually take a little from any plug I see. Of course all the great builders mentioned above already are my inspiration, except for the barefooted guy he's mental.
As far as helping me out well that list is a who's who of modern day plug making and I am extremely thankful to all of them for their guidance and the general thoughtfulness. I just hope I have or can help someone in the same manner. That is my goal to have fun and help out whom ever I can.

Tagger 01-02-2009 09:25 AM

Way too many ...my plug guru's Capesams ,,Numby,,Flap,Vineyard Blues, I knew chit , went over Capesam's cave with Mac ..LI fish taught me darters. Chumbucket makes my eyes water . Gary2 was the man ,, sent me piics how he made a Tiger ..I've read and memorized every word NIB's ever written . Jiggy made me spook crazy .. I learn from the new guys all the time . I've studied most all the builders past Stan Gibbs #1 ,, and everyone else .. I love knocking off plastic ,, Cotton Cordell has to be the Stan Gibbs of plastic .. I love the warped, twisted, dance to a different drum style of Magna Strike . All that being said ,, ground zero is MAC .. We made lips out of stainless and colorado blades when there weren't any . Peeled the envirotex off each others plugs.. Went to the canal in the snow to test swim plugs . Went fishin a bunch .. I could type about 20 pages about other builders .. Shout out to the boys Local .. Don't want to be a CIA..

The Dad Fisherman 01-02-2009 09:57 AM

In all honesty its anybody that posted in this forum over the years, everybody involved in the forum who have always offered up tips and encouragement. from Pics Posted to Jig Ideas to Painting Techniques to Historical Stories....they have all added to the inspiration.

I'm trying to go through names of certain people and its impossible to even narrow the list to a few dozen.

Sometimes its even the new guys that post a question that causes everybody else to start posting up their take on what they do that can drive an inspiration....hell, its even guys that don't make plugs and post a "You know what I'd like to see" question that drives inspiration.

Tagger 01-02-2009 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backbeach Jake (Post 650501)
( having a mental block). Never realized hash could be so enlightening.

Corn Beef I presume ...:spin:

Backbeach Jake 01-02-2009 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tagger (Post 650967)
Corn Beef I presume ...:spin:

Ya know, believe it or not, that never occured to me, I'm slipping bad...

VTBasser 01-02-2009 08:30 PM

Every post I read here gives me a little more inspiration and insight!

BigFish 01-02-2009 08:53 PM

No CIA Ed!:jester: