Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   DIY - Forum (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Seal older PT or leave it along? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=92140)

spence 04-14-2017 07:41 AM

Seal older PT or leave it along?

New house has a lot of PT decking, the wrap around porch is covered and a there's a grade level section that's totally exposed. I believe it's about 10 years old.

The majority of the wood is in very good shape with a few areas that take the most water checking bad and will need to get replaced within a few years.

Is it worth spending the time to seal this stuff or should I just replace the worse wood as needed until it's time to redo the entire thing?

JohnR 04-14-2017 07:53 PM

Sealing will buy you a few extra years - probably worth it

Raven 04-15-2017 07:24 AM

i used a redwood colored stain once on PT

came out *mint

nightfighter 04-15-2017 10:07 AM

Jeff,
Look at Rust oleum Restore 4x deck coating. It will buy you the most time before you replace the PT with a more friendly composite or wood. The 10x product is too thick for my liking and is like a non skid finish.

Slipknot 04-15-2017 12:44 PM

I flipped my 5/4 boards over to get more life out of them and then stained the addition to the deck and the old stuff.

You could definitely get more use from it if you seal it but clean it first

milo 04-16-2017 03:04 AM

A good power washing, then a light sanding. And the seal it with austrailian timber oil, Home Depot carries it. I won't use latex it doesn't penetrate into the wood . Ross the stuff you mentioned looks great for a year or 2 but I've seen it come off in big piece or chunks , just doesn't penetrate and dries on top of wood...terrible
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

spence 04-16-2017 08:19 AM

I like the oil idea. Even with the areas that are checked I don't think the wife would go for a finish that's going to peel. Thanks...

nightfighter 04-16-2017 11:28 AM

I have used the ATO by Cabots that Milo mentioned a lot. Nice stuff. I like the Mahogany Flame color.
My recommendation would be good for a bandaid on decking that needs to be replaced, but just not right now......

RIROCKHOUND 04-16-2017 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1120512)
I like the oil idea. Even with the areas that are checked I don't think the wife would go for a finish that's going to peel. Thanks...

I used the mahogany ato on a PT porch swing frame I built 6 years ago, still looks great. Used the redwood to match the color of a second hand wooden swing set/slide and it did a nice job but the color is redder than I wanted. If I cared more I would go over it with the darker ato or stain.

milo 04-16-2017 05:35 PM

Did mine in the red flame yrs ago... no peeling ,at all just restain every few yrs.

spence 04-17-2017 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightfighter (Post 1120530)
I have used the ATO by Cabots that Milo mentioned a lot. Nice stuff. I like the Mahogany Flame color.
My recommendation would be good for a bandaid on decking that needs to be replaced, but just not right now......

Yes, the majority of decking is in very good condition. The areas that are going I'm more likely to just replace than bandaid. We just bought the place and I'm hell bent to not bandaid anything if I can afford it...

piemma 06-11-2017 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightfighter (Post 1120485)
Jeff,
Look at Rust oleum Restore 4x deck coating. It will buy you the most time before you replace the PT with a more friendly composite or wood. The 10x product is too thick for my liking and is like a non skid finish.

I've used the 4X and like it a lot. They stopped making the 10X. I have done my big deck 12 X 22 in Azek. The smaller deck will get done it's only 10 X 12 but not this year.

I've built 2 cobble stone and flagstone patios this year and I'm done. Repainted 12 shutters and power washed the house and 2 sheds. ENOUGH!!