Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   TUNA & Big Game (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   BAD RUMOR (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=63344)

keeperreaper 04-14-2010 09:12 AM

BAD RUMOR

Word around town is that there will not be any recreation tuna allowed to be kept this year. WTF.....

buckman 04-14-2010 09:42 AM

Another huge blow to the local economy. When will it end?

keeperreaper 04-14-2010 09:48 AM

This will shut down most of the charter community on the cape and all the monies that are injected into the local economy will vanish depressing an already depressed area economically. Unreal. Hopefully it just stays a rumor.

Mr. Sandman 04-14-2010 11:13 AM

They are selling permits for rec and comm now.

Also, the "charter community" should be under the HMS charter/headboad permit which allows both comm or rec uses.

I would think that if the charter community would not be that effected by a rec shut down to much. Go fishing for 73" fish and release everything smaller.

I had a question about the lic's and what the limits were and emailed the permit shop. They got back to me with this number which might be helpful to flush this out.: (I had not called them yet but if you do let me know what they say)

Dear Jim,

Please call the Northeast Regulatory Office at 978-281-9260 for answers to your regulation questions.

Thank you,

NMFS Permit Shop

fishsmith 04-14-2010 01:48 PM

sux ..
The Meek Shall Inherit the Earth and The Crabs Shall Inherit the Tuna ... via whole dead fish and racks from the world of fillet and release.

Sweetwater 04-14-2010 06:09 PM

I've not heard anything like this. Right now recreational permits are being sold under the understanding that the rec limit will be one fish per day per vessel between 27" and 73" and one fish per vessel per year above 73" as a trophy fish.

Not sure if the confusion comes from the fact that all BFT caught before June 1 are catch and release only. After June 1 the regs above apply.

I know a lot of long time tuna fishermen and no one has heard this. I can't imagine that permits would be sold under these regs and then changed during the season, but who knows. I'm wondering where this rumor began...what's the source?

big jay 04-14-2010 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweetwater (Post 762229)
I know a lot of long time tuna fishermen and no one has heard this. I can't imagine that permits would be sold under these regs and then changed during the season, but who knows. I'm wondering where this rumor began...what's the source?

This was a big topic of discussion a the Stellwagon Bank Charter Boat Association Meeting last night.

The regs are always subject to change, no matter what they were when they sold them. They've changed the regs mid-season many times in the past.

Raider Ronnie 04-14-2010 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big jay (Post 762247)
This was a big topic of discussion a the Stellwagon Bank Charter Boat Association Meeting last night.

The regs are always subject to change, no matter what they were when they sold them. They've changed the regs mid-season many times in the past.

I was there !
Some change is coming for sure. Recs went 3.5 times over their quota.
They think a shortened season or no retention at all.
There is a meeting mid may .

big jay 04-14-2010 08:19 PM

I'm going to try to keep from getting too worked up on this one until we get some more information.

Sweetwater 04-15-2010 10:28 AM

Does anyone know from what source the rumor originated? Has this topic been discussed by federal officials in any public meetings? Just curious.

luds 04-15-2010 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie (Post 762257)
I was there !

How can recs end up 3.5 times over the quota? I'm not educated at all on how Tuna fishing is regulated because I don't do it but would hope that the season could be closed more quickly if needed. 3.5 times over quota is alot and I would imagine would represent a long period of fishing past what may have been appropriate. Were those reponsible to regulatine it even paying attention to what was being caught?

JohnnyD 04-15-2010 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie (Post 762257)
I was there !

What was the Recreational tuna quota? As has been stated here many times, Comms consistently come in far under their quota so then what's the big deal if Recs go over.

Just like with striped bass, I have to imagine that estimating the recreational catch of tuna involves just as much fuzzy math and pseudo-science, depending on who's doing the study and which industry lobbies hardest with them.

RIROCKHOUND 04-15-2010 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyD (Post 762395)
What was the Recreational tuna quota? As has been stated here many times, Comms consistently come in far under their quota so then what's the big deal if Recs go over.

Just like with striped bass, I have to imagine that estimating the recreational catch of tuna involves just as much fuzzy math and pseudo-science, depending on who's doing the study and which industry lobbies hardest with them.

Should be firmer, especially if everyone is reporting their fish!

buckman 04-15-2010 01:52 PM

I think alot of guys over reported fish last year because it was assumed that if the US didn't hit quota then it would be passed on to another country. I know of guys who reported every released fish. Add in the fuzzy math to a radical run NOAA and bingo, shut it down.

The Commercial guys would be pleased, until they are the next ones screwed. All part of a plan.......

keeperreaper 04-15-2010 05:56 PM

Fuzzy math, non landed fish reported, BS voodoo math and scientists trying to keep their jobs, and a few people who have agendas and political backing= bad news.

What's next if this is true; deer hunting with paint ball guns?

buckman 04-15-2010 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keeperreaper (Post 762469)
Fuzzy math, non landed fish reported, BS voodoo math and scientists trying to keep their jobs, and a few people who have agendas and political backing= bad news.

What's next if this is true; deer hunting with paint ball guns?

At least we don't have to report deer:confused:

Raider Ronnie 04-15-2010 08:44 PM

Any truth to the rumor - Sport Fishing Forums

Some info & discussion.

clambo 04-15-2010 10:13 PM

Rumor

Matt I spoke to NOAA people in Maryland and Mass and I believe thus just a rumor and nothing more. I spent about a half hour talking to guy from Gloucester and he basically said thanks for calling because you can get info from the horses mouth or the other end! The fish we are catching are getting bigger each year and that can mean more weight for fewer actual fish. As of today he had no knowledge of any closure for anyone. Matt lost your tel # when my phone fell in the toilet, PM me with # Mike:buds:

nightfighter 04-17-2010 04:38 PM

I spoke with a captain I fish with out of Beverly today who told me he heard from a "reliable" source that it will be catch and release this year for tuna less than 73". His source said it should go down in two weeks or so.....and that this was NMFS's trump card they are going to play in the aftermath of the CITES failing to pass.

Mr. Sandman 04-17-2010 04:48 PM

Let's see where the cards fall.

Sweetwater 04-18-2010 04:58 PM

Clearly the number of recreational boats chasing BFT in the northeast has increased over the past few years. But the reason is that there have simply been a lot more tuna around. I would hope that NMFS could find a better way than C&R only to manage the recreational take.

I personally like the idea of a tagging system; however, NMFS would then have to police it (i.e., $$). I'd even support something along the lines of 5 tags per season, with each tag expiring in a given month (i.e., one tag for each of June, July, August, September, and October). That would be one fish per vessel per month with no ability to transfer tags to another vessel or carry-over to another month.

At least it would be superior to a no-take approach and allow us recreational guys to keep some fish.

BasicPatrick 04-18-2010 11:49 PM

Hey all......

I was informed that the non commercial (rec and party/charter) tuna catch combined went way over...the number 3.5 times by Ronnie is probably right...make no mistake about it...there will be a corrective management action.

Let's face it...there has to be some cutback...effort has gone sky high. Sure it is because there are more fish but how do these year classes fill in to make up a healthy fisheriy if we blow thorugh the sustainable fishing numbers

Cites was a bull %$%$%$%$ idea and we all know that the overseas catch is pretty much unregulated....however

when we set the good umber and blow by it we have to cut back...

the key will be to drive enough comet to get a new size and bag that we can live with...no catch is unacceptable

I kow all the right people are on thsi already so just pay attention and the organized community will be coming out with info after next months meeting.

BasicPatrick 04-18-2010 11:56 PM

Also...I was told there is an ongoing review of the catch data to mkae sure they get it right.

keeperreaper 04-19-2010 04:53 AM

5 fish a year with tags would be fine with me.

MakoMike 04-19-2010 12:14 PM

Don't forget that you guys north of the cape had a banner year, but the fishing wasn't up to normal in NY or southern NJ and they have to take the entire coast into account.

Mr. Sandman 04-30-2010 06:46 AM

I heard yesterday that it will prob take them a year to react to the numbers and this will prob not change much for this season...dock talk
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

likwid 04-30-2010 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keeperreaper (Post 762120)
This will shut down most of the charter community on the cape and all the monies that are injected into the local economy will vanish depressing an already depressed area economically. Unreal. Hopefully it just stays a rumor.

You mean it'll shut down all the 'me toos' that popped up the past couple years.

chathamblue30 05-03-2010 02:52 PM

Any new news on the regs Matt ?

Raider Ronnie 05-03-2010 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chathamblue30 (Post 765981)
Any new news on the regs Matt ?

May 14th or 15th

keeperreaper 05-04-2010 03:47 AM

Supposedly an announcement on the 14th of May. Until then...