Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   So Whatcha Gonna Build?? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=60339)

BigFish 11-09-2009 03:50 PM

So Whatcha Gonna Build??

What is on your list of plugs that you want to build for yourself over the winter??? What styles, sizes, colors and applications (fresh or salt) do you have in mind??:drool:

BigFish 11-09-2009 03:54 PM

For myself I plan on doing some plugs for freshwater and also a few that might be fun to use in the kayak which might mean re-sizing a couple I already make now!! I am going to make a few A-40/Blue Streaks......maybe an Atom Jr.??? :huh:

numbskull 11-09-2009 07:09 PM

I don't know but come spring I wanna to feel drained.

Rockfish9 11-09-2009 10:15 PM

I'm going to spend more time on the laminated stuff..I like the concept and the way the plugs I made last year performed...

I'm also going to make a few more Jointed bottle eels, I'm down to my last one...

I made a few proto type 4" bottle plugs, I've finaly got them right so I'll be making a few of them..

getting low on 5 and 6" darters as well.... in betwwen I"ll make some small pikies for largies....just to relax...

I've got some spooks, sinking needles and 2 sizes of pencils that just came out of the sealer that I'll be painting in a week or so.. I guess those dont count... and of coarse a few surprises for plugfest...

eskimo 11-09-2009 10:49 PM

Have some monster eels that I was able to get the last couple weeks and tossed them in the freezer to use on some prototypes this winter.

Told myself earlier in the fall that I wanted to dedicated some time building a few eelskin plugs.

Flaptail 11-10-2009 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by numbskull (Post 722777)
I don't know but come spring I wanna to feel drained.

Then drain yourself on mid sized Gibbs Darter knockoffs wired thru of course and yellow and black and parrot.

Nudge nudge hint hint wink wink........:uhuh:

go4broke44 11-10-2009 10:39 AM

I'll probably make some more needles, around 8" and 2.5oz I guess, nice slow sinkers. Maybe some heavy ones in the same size for the canal as well.

Hopefully make a bunch of pencils this winter as I never really got around to doing so last winter. 8" and a new size I've been toying with, around 5.5" at 3oz w/ flat bottom. Casts like a rocket, holds in the canal current right on top with better than anticipated action. Bluefish hated that plug this past season :D

I'll probably try to get some 2" stock and make some big pikies and surfsters as well, I've made a few in the past with good results, but never quite thick enough.

WoodyCT 11-10-2009 12:19 PM

Keeping it simple for starters

Needles, pencils, spooks.

Maybe try A40s, Jrs, Dannies.

Not wood, but a plug bag too.

GattaFish 11-10-2009 02:34 PM

WATCH pcfisherman pour and tie bucktails:rotf2::rotf2:
Finish my DC ducting
Larger diving/sub-surface spook
tweek my A-40's
go back to my long narrow darter proto
continue working on my JR design for a friend...and possibly get roped into making some more 1.25oz needles in a special color for him too,,,,:wave:

blondterror 11-10-2009 03:19 PM

making my first cowboys with arced slopeheads, 8 inch Pikies, Northbar style darters, small bullet needles, billfish needles, some conrads

the greek 11-10-2009 05:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I'm planning on building a bunch more of these. I had a chance to fish them a bit in the canal this spring and then again in some massive schools of bunker in Rhody. They don't cast too bad and you can pretty much fish them from the top to the bottom depending on where and how much you weight them. These are 7" and 3 oz weighted to sink level. They are pretty easy to build and you can tweek them all kinds of different ways. Also having fun painting the clear eyes and getting all kinds of ideas for that.

Attachment 36480

Attachment 36481

Attachment 36482

Slipknot 11-11-2009 06:41 PM

not sure what I am gonna build but I know I am gonna try to have some plugs for Ted, his plugs are :drool:

The Dad Fisherman 11-11-2009 07:38 PM

Gonna make a few of these screwed up pikies from last year. i had one that i cupped the face wrong so I just flattened it on the sander...damn thing swam un-freikin believable.

Wanna do a few freshwater plugs...thinking about doing a micro-danny....would think that would work pissah at night amongst the pads