Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Rod Building (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Thread Art! (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=19875)

Rapt Tite 12-06-2004 06:43 PM

Thread Art!

Anyone interested in hanging out with other rodbulders in the NorthEast, and completing a couple closed wraps?

I'm planning on doing another "NERDS" gathering on FEB 5th, (snow date FEB 12th)

This time its all about thread art and decorative wraps, start to finish. This is not a class, as I'm not a teacher...I'll help get things started, and everyone will be expected to "lay down some thread". (hands on is the best way to learn anything)

There's no Fee for coming. But helping out with food and drink is a plus, and there'll probablly a buy,sell, trade and raffle.

Let me know if your interested as space may be limited.

Location....................Central MA, just outside Worcester.

Billy 40 12-08-2004 12:37 PM

I'll be coming up there, should be a great time. Were gonna try to cover everything from start to finish, if there is enough interest and levels of skill, we're gonna attempt to do split up into a basic wrap, and a more advanced wrap.

Billy 40 12-08-2004 12:38 PM

He did mention it was FREE, right? No NERDs dues, or fees - that's BS - just a whole lotta fun, eating, and Thread Wrapping.

bud8fan 12-08-2004 07:58 PM

and Beer!:gu: :buds: in moderation!!!!:D

Providing you bring some................................

Iwannakeeper 12-09-2004 01:35 AM

had a great time last time.....haven't proceeded on my own yet, but hope to before then. I will see you all there.

I will bring the taco salad again if everyone wants.

fishaholic18 12-10-2004 01:21 AM

I'll be there....If Billy will give up his "Predator" tactics.:rolleyes:

tlapinski 12-10-2004 07:04 AM

i'll try to attend. all my "skills" are self taught. i would love to see how things are supposed to be done.

Billy 40 12-10-2004 07:36 AM

Tlap - "Supposed to be done". Nah, everyone does things their own way. Something like this will give you more ideas on how to figure it out for yourself, hopefully you'll pick up a couple of tips that will help you out, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was something you were doing that we can learn from.

I've spent a day at Rapt Tite's house, both of us showing each other how we do certain Rodbuilding functions. We do everything almost completely different, but we generally get to the same end result. One of the most noticeeable differences is putting inlays in guide wraps - he uses 2 rolls of masking tape, I use my 4 thumbs & 6 middle fingers, lol. Hopefully you'll come up in FEb & see what I'm talking about.

tlapinski 12-10-2004 07:51 AM

see, learning already. i like to use my elbow for inlays. :laughs:

Rapt Tite 12-10-2004 07:25 PM

Tlap, Its really amazing to see how different people wrap rods. Met a guy in NJ who holds the spool of thread in his hand and does amazing stuff.

So far there's 11, two maybe's, not including yourself.

Hope you can make it...

Jetty Hopper 12-11-2004 10:53 AM

I'm in. Any other equipment to bring besides the rod to wrap?

Homerun04 12-11-2004 07:34 PM

Count me in 2....

DRUMCORPFAN 12-13-2004 11:18 AM

:wave:

Rapt Tite 12-13-2004 05:55 PM

Appears to be a couple current and future rodbuilders from blackstone, MA........mark the date and hope it don't snow!!!

tlapinski 12-13-2004 06:13 PM

you can put me down as a definate. do we bring a rod of our own along to work on, or is there going to be a "community" wrap to work on?

Rapt Tite 12-13-2004 09:04 PM

TLap.......looking forward to meeting you...I'll have stuff ready to go, so there's really no need to bring anything other than what people would enjoy (food, a drink, a snack item)...I'll keep you posted....thanks, Mike

maddog2020 12-14-2004 12:23 PM

Did u include me already, Mike/RT? ;)

TobyL - if u go bring you know what along with you so we can swap. :D Oooh - that worn out VS roller line guide as well. :)

What kind of food ya want us to bring?

thanks!

Rapt Tite 12-14-2004 04:05 PM

Ray...you're in... I'll let you know whats needed as it gets closer. Keep you posted. Mike

doyle007 12-17-2004 09:28 AM

Mike, sounds like a great time. I wish i could make it, but the 5th is my birthday, and the wife already told me not to make plans. I guess she gets to decide what I'll do on my birthday.

Happy Holidays.
Doyle

Goose 12-17-2004 09:21 PM

This nerd wouldn't mind joinin you guys:wavey:

Rapt Tite 12-18-2004 07:23 AM

Goose....your #20. Last one.

Saltheart 12-19-2004 12:47 PM

I'm glad you filled up . I am having foot surgery about 10 days (4 weeks witha pin sticking out the front on my foot after the surgery) before so I couldn'r even consider it. Too bad , I would someday like to see Visual Wrap in use to see just what can be done with it..

Rapt Tite 12-19-2004 08:02 PM

Saltheart(Mike?)...sorry to hear about your upcoming surgery. ...I was hoping you and your rodbuilding experience could be here to add to the event...maybe next time (If I do this again)

Heal well... If you decide to do a closed wrap in your "down time" for yourself...PM me and I'll give you some dead nuts coordinates on tapered offset spacing... (my favorite feature of Visualwrap).

Goose 12-20-2004 07:57 AM

Thanks. Lookin forward to it, keep us posted on chow/tools to bring.

Strider 12-23-2004 09:19 AM

Mike, let me know if someone bows out. I'd like to attend.

Thanks!

Homerun04 01-07-2005 09:54 AM

Hey Rapt - are we on for the 5th for the thread art?
If so, can you PM me directions to your place? Thanks.

Rapt Tite 01-10-2005 09:43 PM

HR 04, keep you posted....Strider, you're "in"( partially due to your Guiness moniker thing).....If anyone is going to back out, please let me know via PM. Thanks.

Rapt Tite 01-24-2005 11:39 AM

Hopefully we won't get clobbered with 2-3 ft of snow on Feb 5th!!

This is starting to shape up to be a good turn out, and hopefully a great time for all involved.

The current attendees...Andiesean, Billy40, Drumcorpfan, Edmorini, Fishaddict, Fishaholic18, Goose, Homerun04, Iwannakeeper, John Henry, Mike X, Maddog2020, pwfish1, sageguy, Strider, Stroth, stripersniper63, Tlapinski, Tpoliti, and myself....from MA, NH, CT, RI, and NY......not to bad a turn out . If anyone else is interested, I'll bump it up to 25 builders.

My sole reason for having this gathering, is to get rodbuilders in the North East together, to talk about the art or craft of building a custom rod...thats it.... (when I talk to non-builders, my wife, or friends about rodbuilding...its like talking to a stump!!)

I'll PM you directions next week (think intersection of rt 12 and I-190 in Sterling). What I do need in order for this to work is YOUR contribution in the form of food, drink, and paper goods.

So far...

-Beef stew(me)
-Taco Salad (IWK)
-Oreo cookie type dessert pie (Andiesean)
-Ziti / meatballs (fishaddict)

Think about what you can help out with...but realize that you help out the most by just attending.

Goose 01-25-2005 06:52 PM

Lookin forward to it and bringin some chow....hope you got my message.

Iwannakeeper 01-26-2005 10:50 AM

Billy,

empty your email box...I am trying to email you back and I got blocked because you are pass capacity.

Fishaddict - want to car pool again? I can drive this time if you want. Or I will pitch you some cash again if you drive.

Rapt - thank you for hosting this again. I cannot wait to check out your shop again. Now that I am starting to get an idea of what I want/need to build.

-IWK