Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Computers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   info transfer between computers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=61650)

ProfessorM 01-19-2010 03:16 PM

info transfer between computers

what is the best way to get info from my home computer onto my lap top?

PRBuzz 01-19-2010 03:25 PM

How much info? I like USB memory sticks (or even burn a CD/DVD), especially for data transfer. Are you talking about software/programs?

eastendlu 01-19-2010 03:38 PM

ftp from one to the other if the files are big.

emgred 01-19-2010 07:22 PM

LAN - Local Area Net with a router.

On my Mac, I can set up the laptop to be a target disc for the Desktop. Don't know if you can do that on a PC:confused:

spence 01-19-2010 07:26 PM

Best way is just to network them and use a shared drive. If that's not an option make a backup CD or use the thumb drive.

-spence

Zeal 01-19-2010 08:05 PM

As in Acupuncture School the answer is, "It depends!" (in a happy tone). Usually the USB Flash Drives are cheap and effective, or you can zip up files and send them via AIM as a directory using 2 screen names, zipping the info up and attach it to an email and send it to yourself, and another is using an external hard drive. It all depends on the load of info. But those Flash Drives are the way to go if its a ton of info, either a buddy has one to borrow or you can buy one pretty cheap with a lot of space. Cheers!

striperman36 01-19-2010 08:12 PM

Need more info.
I can come set u up sat or sun

MrHunters 01-20-2010 03:31 PM

1 - if you have your computers networked (router with ports in the back or wireless, or just a switch if you have one kicking around)
put a folder on your desktop - right click on it - go to sharing and secuirty.

choose share this folder (remember what the share name is)

click on the permissions button

check off all 3 boxes for "Everyone"

click ok

choose the security tab

highlight everyone and give them full permissions. ( you shouldn' t do this for permanent sharing of folder, EVER)

Click OK until your back at your desktop

Fill up that folder with all the files you want to transfer

go to other computer

go to start > click run > type "\\computername\sharename\" (without quotes)

you should see the files.

Copy them down.

go back to first computer and remove share.

-----
2. flash drive but if you have a ton of stuff it might be worth while to just set up a share.

---

3. no router / switch - go get a crossover cable or make one and do first option.

4. burn cds... also time consuming and not very efficient.

thats pretty much all your options

JohnR 01-20-2010 07:28 PM

Paul, keep it simple.

1) Get a big flash drive ;)

2) Get a large external USB hard drive and also use it to backup important files on both systems ;)

If you the networking route you'll end up with 4 computers, two laptops, home server, media server screaming like the good doctor "It Is ALIVE"

MrHunters 01-22-2010 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnR (Post 740919)
Paul, keep it simple.

If you the networking route you'll end up with 4 computers, two laptops, home server, media server screaming like the good doctor "It Is ALIVE"

When did you stop by my house? :rotf2: