Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   StriperTalk! (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What shoes to use with wetsuit? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=38125)

Fleming 02-07-2007 04:42 PM

What shoes to use with wetsuit?

Okay, I plan to start fishing 2007 using a wetsuit. Just interested in knowing what shoes to use with a wetsuit. Thanks

Pete_G 02-13-2007 10:55 PM

What sort of fishing are you going to do?

If it's just more happily fishing the same spots you currently fish, there's a bunch of options. I'd just lash your Korkers on basically any footwear and call it good.

As soon as you start swimming though weight becomes a bigger concern. If you're in good shape, you can swim a good distance (slowly) with the lighter Korkers. The bigger Korkers however (K-5000's) will REALLY tire you out.

For those who swim a lot you'll find many who have made custom footwear. The best footwear for this situation is something that is light with integrated studs. The difference between swimming with Korkers and without is big, those last few kicks to that distant rock are much easier if you haven't been dragging Korkers along with you. It can also start to be considered a safety issue. The NRS workboot and others are the start for this sort of footwear, with people integrating various types of spikes into the boots..

If you're truly skishing footwear really doesn't matter so much, any dive boot will do as long as your not having to deal with slippery rocks.

Raven 02-14-2007 01:26 PM

i'm pysched actually

because i see in Cabela's Catalog...
(page 415) bh 83-0750
this year that their ULTRA LIGHT
wading boots with studded soles
and go up to my width of 13 EEE
will cost me just $60.00 clams ...
which will allow me to buy a stocking foot wader
instead of a boot foot wader...
thumbs up... :think:

baldwin 02-14-2007 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fleming (Post 460035)
Just interested in knowing what shoes to use with a wetsuit. Thanks

You been listnin' to the wife too long.

Goose 02-14-2007 03:59 PM

I use the same boots I use on my waders, I cut off the footies on an old neoprene waders, cut them a little high above the ankle. I also picked up some 2mm neoprene sox from nra for extra cushin but you realy don't need them.

RIROCKHOUND 02-14-2007 04:19 PM

Sandy bottom I use 3mm dive boots w/ a rubber sole
Otherwise, what Goose said

goosefish 02-14-2007 04:32 PM

I like to use the dress shoes that I wore to my wedding.

Nebe 02-17-2007 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goosefish (Post 463127)
I like to use the dress shoes that I wore to my wedding.

that was a fun wedding..you should ahve another one soon :D.... When you 2 were doing your vows a guy was dragging a 15 lber down the beach right behind you :D

phish4stripers 04-07-2007 05:01 PM

does anyone know of anyway to modify boots such as the NRS workboots to have studs?

spence 04-07-2007 05:10 PM

How about these?

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/3...S-For-Men.html

-spence

eelslinger 04-08-2007 05:14 PM

I used 5.10 canyoneer boots with aquastealth soles and loved them. They have a new model of them this year. They were design for walking in canyon streams, ie canyoneering, and are the leading product for that. They fit great, are tough, and light weight. I recommend fitting them with 3 mm neoprene socks on. The aquastealth soles are incredible on wet and dry rocks. Aquastealth soles are better than felt for walking. Studs are needed for weed and algae but I never used them and got by fine. LL Bean had a korker type pull over, using aquastealth soles with studs, you could wear over the boots but I think they dropped them.
I fished rock and cobble areas as well as swimming to rocks and the shoes were a big help. They will get sand and gravel in them if you stand in the wash where there is sand and gravel.