Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   StriperTalk! (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   M&D’s closing (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=94646)

Guppy 01-09-2019 12:41 PM

M&D’s closing

Sad

It is with a heavy heart that we announce that we will be stepping away from M&D’s Bait & Tackle and the shop will be going up for sale next week.
After 33 years, we hope you understand that walking away, was no easy decision. It came after much consideration, and we feel that this is in our best interest for our future and our family.
We would like to thank you all for 33 amazing years. The shop has provided so many great memories for our family, and we are so blessed. Many of you have become like family, and we hope to keep in touch and see you around.
We are not sure where this next chapter will take us, and we are currently seeking other job opportunities. We will share our journey with you, when possible. Please be respectful as this is a very difficult time for our family. We know you will have a lot of questions, and we hope to keep you updated in the process.
Being a family owned business, we are working together with the other parties to establish our final opening schedule and will also have more information coming soon in regards to outstanding gift cards.
- Mike, Barbara & Felicia

The Dad Fisherman 01-09-2019 01:00 PM

Wow, end of an era. Good luck to you and your future endeavors.

It is a sad day
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

trevier 01-09-2019 01:09 PM

Total shock, one of the best shops around the canal. Great people that ran it also.

Clammer 01-09-2019 01:16 PM

wOW . SORRY gUYS …..AWESOME SHORT & A AWESOME FAMILY .best of luck in the future ><>

Nebe 01-09-2019 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trevier (Post 1159181)
Total shock, one of the best shops around the canal. Great people that ran it also.

Agreed

tlapinski 01-09-2019 01:48 PM

I just saw this on Facebook. I was going to post there, but since S-B is where I got to know Mike and how I first ended up at the shop, I thought it more fitting to come here. While it has been a few years since I visited M&D's, that was only due to the fact that I don't get up that way as often as I once did. It was always a necessary pitstop on my way to the Cape beaches, and we had some good times there for the Cape Leg of the annual S-B get togethers. Mike, I wish you the best in your new endeavors!

PaulS 01-09-2019 02:04 PM

Sad to hear. Prob. only stopped there 4 -5 times after canal trips. Mike was always a nice guy.

BigFish 01-09-2019 02:20 PM

Best shop north or south of the canal and an ardent, longtime member and supporter of Striped-Bass.com......we all owe Mike and Barb and Felicia quite a lot for so many great years of service to the sport and for their kindness and friendship! They will be missed.....it will never be the same down the canal again!

JohnR 01-09-2019 03:03 PM

Best shop in the area. Great people, and we all had a small part in raising Felicia - her many, many Uncles ; )

I was shocked when I first heard this as they are our family.

Steve K 01-09-2019 05:09 PM

Wow. One of the best shops around. Always felt that they only sold what was worth buying. Best of luck in the next chapter of your life.

nightfighter 01-09-2019 05:49 PM

Just hoping all is well......

zimmy 01-09-2019 06:04 PM

Sad news for community. In the olden days when i lived in Grafton and was a young single guy with time I my hands i got down that way regularly in the fall. I always tried to save some energy to swing home that way after the night and sunrise shift. Always appreciated how nicely I was treated by everyone in the shop. Hope the next chapter is a great one. Man I hate to see good shops close.

Slipknot 01-09-2019 06:23 PM

:( Awww Crap
this is a bummer I hate to hear this.
Mike, I wish you and the family the best. Sorry to hear of the news.

nightfighter 01-09-2019 07:58 PM

Fiberstar Composites just closed today as well..... Sign of the times. Support your local B&Ts folks...

numbskull 01-09-2019 08:13 PM

Damn. Such a great place and such great people. It had become part of the fabric our lives and will be sorely missed.

Thank you, Mike and Barb. All the best going forward.

stripercrazy 01-09-2019 08:24 PM

sorry to hear your closing but best of luck with what ever your future brings

chris L 01-09-2019 09:23 PM

I am sorry the times have caught up to your shop along with many others . Its a shame !
I hope all of you a great future in what ever falls your way .

It has been a great pleasure to meet and get to know Mike, Barb and Felicia . Hope to see you guys the down the road or on the beach . Stay in touch here . Youz guyz are Family

Keep your heads high and proud you ran a great shop with stuff people use .
and an occasional place to get some shut eye
Thank You
Chris

piemma 01-10-2019 05:50 AM

Great shop. When I was Canal Rat I stopped almost every morning on the way home. Mike was/is the consummate gentleman.
Mike all the best to you and the fam.

Rockfish9 01-10-2019 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightfighter (Post 1159216)
Just hoping all is well......

This... I don't fish the canal ,but got to know Mike,Barbara and Felicia through plug fest..I swapped plugs with Felicia every time.. I hope all is well and this is a family decision for future security rather than a forced closing..

Got Stripers 01-10-2019 08:57 AM

So sad, I think some of the best memories I have on this site was the barbecues at Mike’s shop before a night of fishing with the striped bass crew. He was the first shop to stock some of my Ledge Runner baits and was my go to for a bucket of crabs late in the season. I hope he throws a striped bass going out of business day, so we can all go down to wish him well and help put some traveling money in his pocket.

Katie 01-10-2019 10:38 AM

Wow, unfortunately haven't been up that way in awhile - but remember going there for cookouts many times when I was younger.

Best of luck guys!

BobT 01-10-2019 03:44 PM

I hate bad news

We just about lived there all summer. Don't worry Mike, we'll continue to bug you. We know where you live !!!!!!

Hookedagain 01-10-2019 07:18 PM

Sad news for sure, this is the only real tackle shop my son knows. All the best to Mike and his family in what ever path they go down.

Rappin Mikey 01-11-2019 07:42 AM

Good luck Mike. Catch em up!

bobber 01-11-2019 06:04 PM

shame to hear that the shop is closing. with the fishery in decline and the internet making it tough, I guess it was inevitable.

best of luck to your family!

maddog2020 01-13-2019 12:30 PM

Sorry to hear that, Mike. Hope your family is well. Sad to see my favorite shop close. Prayers to all.

Rappin Mikey 01-17-2019 07:25 AM

Hey Mike, are you still going to be building plugs for sale?

trevier 01-17-2019 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rappin Mikey (Post 1159873)
Hey Mike, are you still going to be building plugs for sale?

from what I heard no. But I hope not, mike built some great fishing plugs.

Rob Rockcrawler 01-18-2019 07:46 AM

I remember thyou s-b cookouts at the shop and kicking the soccer ball around with Felicia when she was maybe 10. I think that helped me with a couple raffle victories but I can’t say for sure. Mike bailed me out many times when I was just getting started back when all I was throwing were abu Garcia’s.
Any idea what’s goin in at that location?

JohnR 01-18-2019 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Rockcrawler (Post 1159950)
I remember thyou s-b cookouts at the shop and kicking the soccer ball around with Felicia when she was maybe 10. I think that helped me with a couple raffle victories but I can’t say for sure. Mike bailed me out many times when I was just getting started back when all I was throwing were abu Garcia’s.
Any idea what’s goin in at that location?

This is a good point, if Felicia pulled your ticket, you won. She is the luckiest person around ; )