Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   StriperTalk! (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Coronavirus / COVID-19 Thread (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=96242)

ivanputski 03-12-2020 06:50 PM

I saw this coming and started Food shopping , little by little each day over the last 5 days, including medications for my family. We may get to a point like Italy, where stores are closed and we are told to remain in our homes with nothing to buy... I think I have a good 3-4 weeks of food stocked, all stuff that we normally eat anyway. the worst part is not knowing if this will blow over in 2-3 weeks, or just ramp up in that time. We'll see......
The school I teach at just closed for 11 days, and we will be switching to distance learning online.

JohnR 03-12-2020 07:11 PM

Pretty good look into Coronavirus / Infectious Viruses (including Lyme)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Stripers (Post 1187629)
Stop snorting bunker oil it’s fu*ked you up, John requested a rational discussion and you bring your political forum antics over, don’t you have gear to clean and get ready?

This one wasn't too bad.

spence 03-12-2020 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivanputski (Post 1187654)
I saw this coming and started Food shopping , little by little each day over the last 5 days, including medications for my family. We may get to a point like Italy, where stores are closed and we are told to remain in our homes with nothing to buy... I think I have a good 3-4 weeks of food stocked, all stuff that we normally eat anyway. the worst part is not knowing if this will blow over in 2-3 weeks, or just ramp up in that time. We'll see......
The school I teach at just closed for 11 days, and we will be switching to distance learning online.

I don’t think we’d get to a point where you can’t buy food. The problem could be things get thin like they are for some items now and you have no toilet paper for three weeks.

I think it is worth stocking up on some items assuming you will get sick. Gatorade for the electrolytes or something similar, basic flu meds etc...
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Sea Dangles 03-12-2020 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie (Post 1187628)
Much better 👍
On the upside there are some deals to be had because of this hoax

Did PaulS give you permission to use this photo?

PaulS 03-12-2020 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Dangles (Post 1187668)

Does anyone question why I think you're a scumbag?

Raider Ronnie 03-12-2020 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Dangles (Post 1187668)

Wow
I never seen the before but looks like the surgeon did a decent job.
Is it Paula now ?

JohnR 03-12-2020 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie (Post 1187673)
Wow
I never seen the before but looks like the surgeon did a decent job.
Is it Paula now ?

Don't be an ass, Ron

Raider Ronnie 03-12-2020 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnR (Post 1187674)
Don't be an ass, Ron

You’ve allowed this FISHING site to become what it is John with that #^&#^&#^&#^&ing political forum, deal with it

Got Stripers 03-12-2020 08:28 PM

John are you serious, those two don’t know how to not be one, with shelves emptying, complete sport seasons and our usual fishing shows cancelled, businesses and the economy taking a huge hit, let’s have some inappropriate fun. Two fu*cked up peas in a pod.

Raider Ronnie 03-12-2020 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Stripers (Post 1187677)
John are you serious, those two don’t know how to not be one, with shelves emptying, complete sport seasons and our usual fishing shows cancelled, businesses and the economy taking a huge hit, let’s have some inappropriate fun. Two fu*cked up peas in a pod.

Someone needs some time in their Safe Place 😩

Got Stripers 03-12-2020 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie (Post 1187675)
You’ve allowed this FISHING site to become what it is John with that #^&#^&#^&#^&ing political forum, deal with it

Hey here is a suggestion, grow a pair, show some restraint and if you don’t like the political forum don’t click on it; seems pretty simple or do you prefer to just angrily rant.

JohnR 03-12-2020 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie (Post 1187675)

1 month, or whatever. You want to destabilize and be an ass. Dealing with it ; )

wdmso 03-13-2020 05:03 AM

Daughters closing her 1st house in April. Only for her and her fiancee to both more than likely to get laid off , with these shut downs
She's dental hygienist and the cancellations have all ready started and he works at EB

Yet the wife works in a nursing home which has stopped all family members for visiting (some are threatening to sue . ) screening all staff

But have provided zero information on the plan if the virus shows or if they send an employee home who they suspect maybe sick , are they getting paid they cant get a test to show it's not C19,

Rmarsh 03-13-2020 05:40 AM

The 24/7.... non stop media coverage and internet are making this situation much worse, as far as the panic and overreacting we are seeing.
There have always been deadly viruses....and people getting sick, and people die....never seen this kind of press coverage before...
This time is different...a real health concern but blown way out of proportion for tv ratings.......filling the void left by other news stories that withered away.

scottw 03-13-2020 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rmarsh (Post 1187690)
The 24/7.... non stop media coverage and internet are making this situation much worse, as far as the panic and overreacting we are seeing.
There have always been deadly viruses....and people getting sick, and people die....never seen this kind of press coverage before...
This time is different...a real health concern but blown way out of proportion for tv ratings.......filling the void left by other news stories that withered away.

yup....nobody making fun of the "preppers" who stockpile food, tp and guns/ammo, right now :laugha:

JohnR 03-13-2020 06:36 AM

Media, large swath of public, and Politicians:

Why hasn't the Gubmint stockpiled masks, PPE, and TP?

The Prepared:

Always have a few months worth of essentials you can stretch to 2-3x this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottw (Post 1187692)
yup....nobody making fun of the "preppers" who stockpile food, tp and guns/ammo, right now :laugha:

Well, they are still making fun of ammo ; )

Higgie 03-13-2020 09:13 AM

Went to purchase some ammo yesterday and first store was out of what I needed. The owner said it’s been a busy week people buying by the case. Went to the big box store and had to be 12-15 people looking to purchase firearms at 3 pm on a Thursday. I’m under the believe I’d rather be over prepared rather then under. But growing up how I did we always had an extra freezer stocked with food and a surplus of cleaning supplies and paper goods. I don’t get the soap and tp flying off the shelves did people just not wash there hands before

Got Stripers 03-13-2020 09:37 AM

Thought I could go into BJ's for just one case of water some blueberries and some batteries and hit the 5 items or less registers, even people with just the same few items were 50 deep in line. Went to my liquor store, picked up a case of beer, case of water, hit the local market paid a bit more for blueberries and some bananas and was home before half those idiots checked out at BJ's.

JohnR 03-13-2020 10:47 AM

Another very good article on why social distancing and hunkering down is the way to fight this:

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...e-f4d3d9cd99ca

Quote:

Originally Posted by Higgie (Post 1187715)
Went to purchase some ammo yesterday and first store was out of what I needed. The owner said it’s been a busy week people buying by the case. Went to the big box store and had to be 12-15 people looking to purchase firearms at 3 pm on a Thursday. I’m under the believe I’d rather be over prepared rather then under. But growing up how I did we always had an extra freezer stocked with food and a surplus of cleaning supplies and paper goods. I don’t get the soap and tp flying off the shelves did people just not wash there hands before

Simple minimum stocks guideline: When ammo falls below 3k rounds, buy a few thousand more ; )

(it is easy to go through several hundred rounds in a few hours of Range Fun Time)

basswipe 03-13-2020 11:19 AM

A lot of the naysayers seem to be forgetting about the 1919 influenza outbreak...600,000 Americans were dead by 1920 before a vaccine was developed.

The country was MUCH less populated back then,compared to then we are packed in like sardines today.The good news is we are much more medically advanced and more aware of what's going on a daily basis and can adapt to changing conditions much more easily.I do believe people are over panicking but that's the nature of the beast.

basswipe 03-13-2020 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnR (Post 1187724)
(it is easy to go through several hundred rounds in a few hours of Range Fun Time)

That's why the vast majority of my range time is spent shooting .22LR!

Slipknot 03-13-2020 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnR (Post 1187724)
Another very good article on why social distancing and hunkering down is the way to fight this:

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...e-f4d3d9cd99ca

good article

the parts about Containment and Mitigation are eye opening and really need to be taken seriously.

The wife took the day off today and yesterday was given a laptop to bring home to do a trial work at home for Monday

Everyone should have 2 weeks worth of essentials at home anyway, and if you don't you adapt or improvise to overcome.

basswipe 03-13-2020 11:31 AM

If you're looking for TP I would suggest staying away from the bigbox stores and grocery chains as you'll find none unless you follow the delivery trucks and even then that's no guarantee.Your local "dollar" type store is a much better (and safer!) bet.

If you're a handsanitizer nut and can't find any or can't make any with isopropyl alcohol,good 'ol Everclear grain alcohol is an excellent alternative and if your stupid you can drink it minus the aloe gel.

spence 03-13-2020 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by basswipe (Post 1187730)
good 'ol Everclear grain alcohol is an excellent alternative and if your stupid you can drink it minus the aloe gel.

Get a trash can, contractor bag and a lot of powdered Gatorade for the mix, you'll need the electrolytes when you're sick.

basswipe 03-13-2020 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slipknot (Post 1187728)
The wife took the day off today and yesterday was given a laptop to bring home to do a trial work at home for Monday

That's a good thing for sure.I'm lucky mine's been working out of the house for quite a few years now.With me being laid up after my fall I don't really have to worry about work for a couple of weeks.

Slipknot 03-13-2020 11:43 AM

I hope you heal ok basswipe

l.i.fish.in.vt 03-13-2020 11:45 AM

maybe this is natures way of thinning out the herd,way too many people on this earth.

basswipe 03-13-2020 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slipknot (Post 1187736)
I hope you heal ok basswipe

Thanks.

Nothing to major...a lot of bruises,a concussion and few staples in the back of my head.

JohnR 03-13-2020 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by basswipe (Post 1187725)
A lot of the naysayers seem to be forgetting about the 1919 influenza outbreak...600,000 Americans were dead by 1920 before a vaccine was developed.

The country was MUCH less populated back then,compared to then we are packed in like sardines today.The good news is we are much more medically advanced and more aware of what's going on a daily basis and can adapt to changing conditions much more easily.I do believe people are over panicking but that's the nature of the beast.

We've been getting vaccinated for similar types for generations.

Quote:

Originally Posted by basswipe (Post 1187726)
That's why the vast majority of my range time is spent shooting .22LR!

.22 Should be stocked in the high thousands for Post Apocalypse Currency :rotf2:

piemma 03-13-2020 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEETLE (Post 1187635)
I just returned from the local BJs store, parking packed, no carts, got inside lines were insane at checkout, no water and if they had it only 2 per customer, no toilet paper, or other high profile items as sanitizer, other popular items as in frozen section items no or low stock. seeing panic in some faces. Walked out empty handed will go back tomorrow at opening bell.

I went to BJs in Franklin yesterday. Same, same. I was in at 9 AM and got the last package of paper towels. Crazy!! Saw a guy with 8 cases of water. Said he was stocking up. WTF!!!