Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   The Scuppers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Garden variety (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=96283)

Sea Dangles 03-22-2020 03:49 PM

Garden variety

Staying close to home has hurt my disc golf game but it has been great for catching up around the house. But to get some real quiet time I woke up the garden early this year. I have two plots at the local community gardens and just fortified them with 8 yards of compost. I also managed to get my snow and snap peas in the ground as well as arugula and lots of spinach. Lettuce is next on the list...

Rockfish9 04-06-2020 02:14 PM

Put my lettuce in 2 weeks ago, already sprouted a d have 2 sets of leaves, I stopped planting spinach and use the space for beets, the greens can be continually harvested and don't bolt in the heat or go to seed, as a bonus you get nice sweet beets late summer, I also winter over my fall crop of carrots, in the ground,I picked a bunch last saturday, sweetest carrots you will ever eat, they germinate well in heat, but sweeten in the colder temps..I plant mine when I plant the fall garlic.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

nightfighter 04-06-2020 03:18 PM

Getting the seed starter gadget started tomorrow. Have the paper pots, mix, and got some veggie seeds soaking to plant in tomorrow. Still looking for a half dozen quality seeds of that newly legal crop too, for fun! Thought I would get the kabash from the wife, but she said 'why not?'

Sea Dangles 04-06-2020 04:51 PM

I got super germination on both pea varieties and my spinach is coming along nicely also. Just put in the yellow and red onion as well. In the basement I have leeks and shallots started as well as many peppers.
You got me thinking about the carrots Joe!

Sea Dangles 04-11-2020 07:44 AM

Asparagus has made its first appearance of the spring!
After 2 years I finally get to harvest this year.

RIROCKHOUND 04-13-2020 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockfish9 (Post 1190217)
Put my lettuce in 2 weeks ago, already sprouted a d have 2 sets of leaves, I stopped planting spinach and use the space for beets, the greens can be continually harvested and don't bolt in the heat or go to seed, as a bonus you get nice sweet beets late summer, I also winter over my fall crop of carrots, in the ground,I picked a bunch last saturday, sweetest carrots you will ever eat, they germinate well in heat, but sweeten in the colder temps..I plant mine when I plant the fall garlic.

Interesting idea Joe. I put in about 100 garlic, I ring my garden with them to help control some pests until I pull them, who knows if it helps. I hadn't thought to plant carrots at the same time.

Do you just plant seeds in october and mulch them like garlic?

The Dad Fisherman 04-13-2020 09:08 AM

I got my Sugar Snaps in yesterday, along with 3 different types of lettuce and Brussel Sprouts.

RIROCKHOUND 04-13-2020 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman (Post 1190752)
I got my Sugar Snaps in yesterday, along with 3 different types of lettuce and Brussel Sprouts.

Waited a few days. I started my broccoli and lettuce inside and planned on transplanting yesterday but didn't want this rain/wind to beat them down. Will start re-hardening tomorrow and hopefully later this week. Then I will start my late May plants inside (zucs, cucs).

Rockfish9 04-13-2020 11:18 AM

I plant the carrots late August early September, they like warm weather to germinate, but like cool weather to mature...I treat them just like the garlic...mild winter like last year help greatly, ice lost them during years with little snow and deep freeze..

piemma 04-14-2020 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND (Post 1190760)
Waited a few days. I started my broccoli and lettuce inside and planned on transplanting yesterday but didn't want this rain/wind to beat them down. Will start re-hardening tomorrow and hopefully later this week. Then I will start my late May plants inside (zucs, cucs).

You have great results with garlic. Do you buy garlic sets?

RIROCKHOUND 04-14-2020 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piemma (Post 1190864)
You have great results with garlic. Do you buy garlic sets?

Nope. I save 15 or so of the largest bulbs when I harvest, and then in October break them up and plant the cloves. Perpetual recycling. Got these from my mom's garden, who had gotten them from a friend.
Remind me when I harvest and I will put some aside for you to start your plot.

wdmso 04-15-2020 03:18 PM

Any idea on how to get tomatoes in July or August. All mine seem to show up late September

PaulS 04-15-2020 04:08 PM

do you get full sun? Mine come in late also but they don't get the sun they need. I cut 2 big pine trees last fall so hopefully I'll have better luck this year.

Sea Dangles 04-15-2020 04:32 PM

I started my tomatoes last night and usually start picking first week in August. I am trying an oxheart variety this year.

The Dad Fisherman 04-15-2020 04:36 PM

They have a variety called “early girls”, give those a shot.

wdmso 04-15-2020 04:40 PM

Thanks they get full sun. I'll try to find early girls see if that works

wdmso 04-15-2020 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Dangles (Post 1190988)
I started my tomatoes last night and usually start picking first week in August. I am trying an oxheart variety this year.

Started in green house or in the garden ?

Sea Dangles 04-18-2020 02:00 PM

I start them in my basement under grow lights. Typically I put a heat mat under the flats for germination.

piemma 04-19-2020 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND (Post 1190902)
Nope. I save 15 or so of the largest bulbs when I harvest, and then in October break them up and plant the cloves. Perpetual recycling. Got these from my mom's garden, who had gotten them from a friend.
Remind me when I harvest and I will put some aside for you to start your plot.

Thanks Bry. I have not had good luck with garlic.

Sea Dangles 04-30-2020 05:27 PM

Peas are up,a few inches and trellis goes up this week. Spinach is also coming along. Asparagus came too early and a few spears had a set back but now back on track. Bell, poblanoand jalapeño peppers were transplanted to 4”. 5 varieties of heirloom tomatoes and one batch of cherry toms germinated last week. Lots of leeks and shallots ready to put in the garden soon that I started from seed. Book choy,endive,radicchio,and head lettuce have all germinated also. Broccoli and eggplant are popping as well as 2 types of cubes.

spence 04-30-2020 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piemma (Post 1191250)
Thanks Bry. I have not had good luck with garlic.

It’s fifty cents a head at Stop n Shop.

RIROCKHOUND 04-30-2020 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1192209)
It’s fifty cents a head at Stop n Shop.

You of all people should appreciate having quality heirloom garlic. Plus scape pesto in June.....

Rockfish9 05-04-2020 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1190974)
Any idea on how to get tomatoes in July or August. All mine seem to show up late September

I start mine in January, not in the traditional peat pots but in large flower pots so they don't get root bound, fill the pot only half full so you can keep adding "dirt" it will encourage the plant to grow extra roots and keep tam from getting "leggy", I have a couple of cheap plastic green houses I bought at job lots and raise them in the "fish room ( I have multiple aquariums in my house)" upstairs I use grow lights on a timer, mine are a foot tall with blossoms as I type this..

The Dad Fisherman 05-04-2020 02:31 PM

Kinda bummed, my peas never popped. Oh well, I’ll use the space for something else

RIROCKHOUND 05-04-2020 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman (Post 1192475)
Kinda bummed, my peas never popped. Oh well, I’ll use the space for something else

Yeah....
I lost some lettuce and broccoli with the weather a couple of weeks ago.. Agway sells some good stuff though for seedlings so Lettuce already 'replanted' even if I cheated.

Zuccini and cuc's are inside and will go outside in a few weeks....

PaulS 05-04-2020 03:36 PM

What do you put in after you harvest the lettuce?

RIROCKHOUND 05-04-2020 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulS (Post 1192489)
What do you put in after you harvest the lettuce?

I pick the leaves and not the whole head. Plus I plant them on the north side, behind the tomatoes (some shade). I had lettuce into the mid-summer last year.

PaulS 05-04-2020 03:47 PM

I have my lettuce and cabbage in raised beds and not sure what I want to put in there after I finish harvesting them. Tomatoes. Peppers, cukes Etc go on the other side of the house in a different Garden.

Sea Dangles 05-04-2020 05:13 PM

Try turnip and rutabaga or even carrots. Brussels sprouts and broccoli can also serve the second season well.

PaulS 05-04-2020 05:37 PM

Perfect. Thanks.